1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Coffee Anyone?

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12
Next

Last
  1. linuxworks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    88C is too low for espresso. The general temperature range is around 90-96C, and 93 would be typical.

sorry, but that is not correct.

CoffeeGeek - Espresso Discussions

WholeLatteLove.com: Article: Rituals of Making Espresso

Brewing Temperature:
    This is controlled by your machine’s thermostat. Our tests have shown that the machines we sell all fall within the proper temperature range of approximately 190 to 196 degrees so you do not have to consider this parameter when selecting a machine. Generally, you do not have to be concerned about this when you are operating the machine except under certain circumstances. I do not want to confuse you too much at this time, but as long as you watch your "ready lights" you will be just fine.

converting my figure of 88C to F = 190. basically just the number they list.

196F = 91C and that is about the upper limit (I see my PID display reaching between 88 and 90 with peaks at 91 at times). it starts to taste a little burnt at 91 and higher.

boiling is RIGHT OUT. ie, not to be done for espresso. pressure, yes; super high temp, no.

2. linuxworks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I had my first coffee about a week ago and now I'm addicted and have to have one every day [​IMG]

ONE every day?

ha!

hardly an addiction.

yet.

but keep working on it (lol!)

3. JadeEast
    My new coffee friend.
    [​IMG]

4. MD1032 Contributor
    Personally, I'm planning on upgrading to a Bunn-o-matic at some point. I want to get rid of the plastic basket and other plastic parts and go all stainless steel, because the plastic is a complete pain to clean. Thoughts?

5. linuxworks
    plastic isn't really a problem. use 'joe glow' (lol) or equiv as a coffee cleaner.

6. kwkarth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Personally, I'm planning on upgrading to a Bunn-o-matic at some point. I want to get rid of the plastic basket and other plastic parts and go all stainless steel, because the plastic is a complete pain to clean. Thoughts?

Depends upon the plastic.

7. Bob_McBob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    sorry, but that is not correct.

converting my figure of 88C to F = 190. basically just the number they list.

196F = 91C and that is about the upper limit (I see my PID display reaching between 88 and 90 with peaks at 91 at times). it starts to taste a little burnt at 91 and higher.

boiling is RIGHT OUT. ie, not to be done for espresso. pressure, yes; super high temp, no.

This is obviously a matter of opinion, but I don't think you will find many sources that confirm your "91C is the about the upper limit" figure. I should have said "88C is the extreme low end of espresso temperatures" rather than that it's too cold. I participate in both Coffeegeek and home-barista, and it would be pretty rare to find someone who thinks 190F is a regular brewing temperature, and 196F is the maximum you should ever use. Most people seem to hover around the 200F mark, which is the generally accepted standard.

As an example, here are some well-known coffee roasters' recommended brewing temperatures:

Intelligentsia Black Cat Classic - 198.5
    49th Parallel Epic Espresso - 201
    Counter Culture - various temps between 197 and 203

etc.

8. Redcarmoose
    [​IMG] CUISINART COPPER DRIP/ SEARS ELITE ESPRESSO I CUP............................................... ............ ADD spring water/ Starbucks French Roast

9. Voodoochile
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Intelligentsia Black Cat Classic

That is one of the best, IMO. I brew it with a Nuova Simonelli Oscar; Macap grinder.

The best coffee I had out was in Salem Mass this past summer, at Jaho. He's got one of only two halogen Hikari Syphon bars in the US. I just wanted to see it done... but damn if it wasn't an outstanding cup.

Link to a picture of the proprietor using this interesting brewer.

10. watchluvr4ever
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Went to Starbucks on Saturday, ordered, the girl asked for my name to put on the cup as it was busy....this is what i got back. lol

[​IMG]

Looks like she was trying spell Rainman. [​IMG]

11. bass_nut
    recent gifts from Daly City California sent by a very good friend [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. krmathis Contributor
    My AeroPress arrived earlier this week.
    Have brewed some 10 cups with it so far and have to say; what a fantastic little device. Smooth, clean and natural taste without the bitterness I am obviously used to from a French press. Love it! [​IMG]

Next out is to drop by Tim Wendelboe for some quality coffee.

[​IMG]

13. Tjinez
    Nice to hear you're enjoying it. It's a great little coffeemaker.
    Hope you'll find something nice at TW. I've tried their espressoblend and it was really good.

Just ordered a new little toy for myself, a Swissgold KF300, aka a goldfilter together with some nice coffee ;D

[​IMG]

Am also considering a PID-kit for the Silvia now. Would be damn nice [​IMG]

14. kwkarth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Have brewed some 10 cups with it so far and have to say; what a fantastic little device. Smooth, clean and natural taste without the bitterness I am obviously used to from a French press. Love it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congratulations on your Aeropress!!

15. Born2bwire
    Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[​IMG]

Everytime I look at that picture I totally mistake that woman's bag as being her pants. [​IMG]

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12
Next

Last