Closed headphones for quiet office use,recommendation?
Mar 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shingo43

New Head-Fier
My current set up is Foobar(Flac/CD) + Asus essence STX + Denon D2000, I listen to pop and jazz and little bit classics.

I want to repalce the Denon d2000 because I feel its sound is a bit cold for me, especially human vocal, sounds like they are too far away from you. and the D2000 is too heavy so that my hair looks weird after I have it on my head for a couple hours.
and also I think it leaks sound.

I am looking for a lighter headphone but the sound quality cannot be bad, I have hd650 at home and I like sennheiser's sound, maybe the warmth of the sound.

What options do I have? I put my eye on a sennheiser px360 but I don't know about the sound quality of it. I have set my budget to $300 but I can buy used gears if it meet my requirements.

so in summary I am looking for a headphone that

1,has decent sound quality, I prefer warm sound and hate digital sound
2.closed design and do not leak sound, I am sitting in a quiet open office(not cubes)
3.light and comfortable, I usually wear it 4 hours a day
4.under $300 but it can be used
5.pairs well with my Asus essence STX

If you have a idea please leave a reply
if you feel like too lazy please just provide me a model number I'll google it up, you don't have to explain it.

thanks

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions.
I did tons of research of both headphones, and also including the hd380 from senn.
Seems like people think hd380 is better than hd280 in very way but people think hd380 is flatter than the m50s and m50s have enhanced high and low, am I right?
I don't really like Japanese style sound, and I have used sony/denon and they sound cold to me. But I never tried any ATH, does it sound similar to sony/denon or sennheiser? does it sound warm?
I am gonna pull the trigger now so please help asap. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Might I suggest the Sennheiser HD448? If you look them up, you'll find they are excellend cans for the price, with a warm, detailed sound and great midrange.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Bumping because I'm currently on the same quest as OP.  Hadn't heard of the HD448 so I'll have to check it out.  You might also want to investigate the Audio Technica ATH-A900?  I'm also currently trying to figure out all I can about the Shure 840 and 440..

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Check out Fischer FA-003. Closed type with excellent seal and comfort. They are by most considered of neutral sort. I rarely find them cold and digitally sounding, but I really don't have much of a refrence point, so maybe you'll think different.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Check out Fischer FA-003. Closed type with excellent seal and comfort. They are by most considered of neutral sort. I rarely find them cold and digitally sounding, but I really don't have much of a refrence point, so maybe you'll think different.

Came in to say this haha.  I'd say they are a little bit on the warm side of neutral and probably fit all your criteria.
You might also benefit from the wood cup version too which cost a little more but still under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back