Closed Headphones, Budget 80 € (100 $)
Jan 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zarnikon

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for a new closed over-ear heaphone. I searched a lot on the net and read some buying guides but I haven't found one yet.
The problem is that a lot of the headphones aren't available in my region, I live in Belgium.

Here's an alphabetical list of Headphones that are available: http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/453/koptelefoons.html#filter:XY69DsIwDITfxXOHUlp--gBIDJWQYEMdQmIgUtpUriOBqr47DlUYmM73nXX2BHdLI5_IarzYDhv1groPzmX_ge1T4NTbB268QaiBn6G7QQaeDNLBojMCB_ImaE747ImFqlH_yID6KJvlfpPBoB7StJIhHvt-sMuTi2dLcaP2tGRVMjGKCTrUjGbpHKG-gtRCK4mQg3WMJHSCqtpG6T3HnSLP1_KOSLlIAe08zx8

I listen to all kinds of music (R&B, Techno, Rock, Electro, Classical, ...), so what's the best one I could buy?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I like the sound of the Creative Aurvana Live.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 10
There are several on that list I would consider, including the AKG 518DJ, the Creative Aurvana Live!, Koss DJ100 Pro and the Sony MDR ZX700.

The AKG would be slightly bass heavy, maybe not the most clearly defined, very solidly made, and not known as the most comfortable headphones around.

The Creative Aurvana Live also has a bass emphasis, though not overpowering.  It is a very comfortable headphone to wear, and fits all the way over the ears instead of on top of them.  Construction isn't as solid, but isn't bad.  A good headphone with a warm tone.

Koss DJ100 Pro's ---well I haven't heard them, but they have a pretty good rep around here.  Seem to be another solidly made headphone, Not a headphone for someone looking for a lot of bass. 

And the most expensive of the four...the Sony MDR ZX700.  These are often described as jack of all trades, good at virtually everything, but may not be outstanding in any one area.  I like the looks of these, and they seem to be quite comfortable (though I prefer velour pads to pleathor).

Do some research on these and see if you find one that you feel fits your particular needs.  If it were me, I'd be hard pressed to choose between the Sony ZX700 and the Creative Aurvana Live!

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmmm very peculiar, If a company is available such as Audio-Technica, but only one pair of cans is listed, I wonder if it's possible to somehow get something from the same company that isn't on the list (M50).

The m50s are precisely 100$ and I have owned them for a year and a half now, let me tell you that for that price you will not find a better sounding, more comfortable, and durable headphone. The bass is nice and tight, not really heavy for certain electronic type music which is my only downside, but with some EQing you can get that bass up to the level you like. Other than the very slightly lacking bass (it is still extremely smooth and tight.) you have some fantastically clean mids and strikingly crisp highs. Vocals and strings sound so great, instrument separation is very nice and you will hear things you never knew existed in your music before. If you can somehow find these avaible to you, without a doubt they are what you are looking for.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 10
In addition to what's already been recommended, I'd suggest considering the Sennheiser HD 280.  It performs quite well overall and across the frequency spectrum, though it doesn't reproduce the extremes very well at either end.  It's a good choice for listening to a wide range of genres, though, and is both comfortable and durable.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
In addition to what's already been recommended, I'd suggest considering the Sennheiser HD 280.  It performs quite well overall and across the frequency spectrum, though it doesn't reproduce the extremes very well at either end.  It's a good choice for listening to a wide range of genres, though, and is both comfortable and durable.

X2

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 10
Thx everyone, I'm looking in to the options, I listen too music a lot so they need to be comfortable so the AKG 518DJ is out. The other 3 look pretty good, I'm going to check if I can get my hands on them to try them out.
The sennheiser HD 280 is a bit too expensive, it costs 140 $ here, what about the HD 449, are they any good? Can't find any reviews.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 10
you made a terrific choice! I just got my pair. while they don't isolate that well compared to other closed headphones, the sound is.. euphoric. like the most tastefully done "smiley EQ" ever on budget headphones. they may not be the pinnacle of headphone technology, nor as "honest" as my RE-ZERO iems, but I don't care. whenever I put these on, I feel great. such musicality. they are AWESOME for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back