Closed headphone shoot-out: K271 vs. DT770 vs. D5000 vs. SRH840 vs. SRH940 vs. HD 25
Sep 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #76 of 82

Quote:
Are you suggesting he was correct in saying the 225i soundstage > 840?

lmao ok, i wont even argue or debate that further, you auto win 

I dunno, but I own his grados now, so I'm a bit defensive
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #77 of 82
zero7525 is right - I don't have the SR225s any more so can't compare them directly any more.
tongue.gif
   Listening to my HF-1s (SR225 drivers in wooden cups) to orchestral music straight out a Lavry DA11, the soundstage of the Grados and the Shures have a very different character.  I'll grant that the SRH840s have a bit better imaging, where I can place individual instruments a little better.  And instruments sound like they are further away, but strangely, a bit echoed and enclosed in a room. Probably because they are closed headphones.  The HF-1 sound like the first violin is, um, me (I used to play violin) and have a much more 'airy' sound without any sense of walls or spatial limit.  So I'll meet you halfway, and say that the Shures have a more clear, but bounded sense of space, where the Grados have a more spatially open feeling.  As much as I love the Shures (rated them higher than all the others), that closed and bounded feeling is my main quibble.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #78 of 82
Thanks for this writeup.

I got the SRH840 as work 'phones last month without being able to do any comparison with similar models - so if I had seen your review before buying them, I certainly would have leaned on it while deciding what to buy, but since I got the headphones first... well, it helps me retroactively justify the decision...

I wish they could isolate as well as the IEMs I'm used to using, but IEMs became unusable at work because the better they sealed, the more painful it was to have to take them on and off every time I had to talk with somebody.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #79 of 82

Quote:
Good review. However, I think you should add Senn HD25-1 II into your comparison, and I believe the ranking order will definitely change~
beyersmile.png

It took a while, but I was finally able to add the HD 25 to the roundup (along with the Shure SRH940), which is now included in first post.  The HD 25 did not fare very well when compared to the other headphones..

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #81 of 82
I couldn't disagree more with your sennheiser hd 25 impressions. They sound natural to me and they are not muffled. Best headphones i own. I much prefer them to the shure srh840 which sounds lifeless and unnatural to me.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #82 of 82
I couldn't agree more with this roundup. Its almost like I wrote this myself.
popcorn.gif

The HD25-1 isn't a very good sounding headphone compared to the competition in its price range except for metal IMO.
I would like to see a M50 and a K550 added to the comparison and maybe a few more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back