Closed headphone shoot-out: K271 vs. DT770 vs. D5000 vs. SRH840 vs. SRH940 vs. HD 25
May 4, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thoroughly enjoyed my recently acquired 600Ohm DT770, quite better than 250Ohm version, definitely not shrilling bright as 250Ohm and have some serious bass. The midrange is still typical Beyer, cold and lifeless, K271S is definitely a winner there. Other than that they can easily replace my trusted K271S, as they seem more technically potent and comfortable, we'll see.

Great to hear about the 600ohm versions.
It was certainly true for the DT880's.
I might venture that way someday if I find the M50 just won't cut it for ALL things I'd want in a closed can.

shane

May 4, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think that the DT770 (both the premium and pro, in fact), does a significantly better job of some genres than the OP writes; the Grado SR225 for example I think by comparison does a relatively lousy job of both Jazz and Classical - and with some recordings the DT770s bass boost actually serves to compensate for some older recordings. It also, in my opinion, even though I am a fan of neutral headphones for electronica, think it does a better job of electronica than the Shures and also the lower model of Denon - which suffers greatly from sibilance (D2000).

I also dont agree with the notion that the DT770/80 highs are harsh.

Maybe it was the tracks I used for evaluation- I listened to John Coltrane's remastered Blue train, with lots of very well-recorded cymbals, which did violence to my little ears. And a loud crashing cymbal in the first 2 seconds of Marvin Gaye's Let's Get it on was literally unbearable. You might also have a warmer amp & dac. Some people are also less sensitive to high frequencies- would your ears happen to be older than 30?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comments about the DT250 leaking sound worry me, as it has a huge amount of isolation. Which begs the question, how loud are you really listening?

saint.panda did a review of 15 closed headphones in 2005 and rated DT250's isolation last of the bunch so I'm not alone on that one. The study where the headphones live is dead quiet and my wife is less than 4 feet from me so I need absurd isolation to not disturb her deep thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thoroughly enjoyed my recently acquired 600Ohm DT770, quite better than 250Ohm version, definitely not shrilling bright as 250Ohm and have some serious bass. The midrange is still typical Beyer, cold and lifeless, K271S is definitely a winner there. Other than that they can easily replace my trusted K271S, as they seem more technically potent and comfortable, we'll see.

I wish I tried the 600 ohm version instead of the 80 ohm. They sound just right for my needs. Might get those in the near future..

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, although I still think the AT m50 sould be included as it fits what the OP is after without issue. It isolates, sounds extremely balanced and natural, and to add to that, metalic sounds don't shred ears.

I wish I tried those too. At least three A/B comparisons of M50 vs SRH840 I've read preferred the latter so I though I could safely exclude them. That, and I already burned through $1400 on closed headphones so have to the draw the line somewhere
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K271s, I am going to reiterate, try and get a non mark 2 pair. People are/were selling them left and right for a while there. I feel the sound of the k271 studios without the mark2 changes is just the right balance of AKG "house" sound, isolation, fit, and of course the sound.

Yes, didn't mention it in the review but they were the K271 MKII. Seems that I got the wrong K271 and the wrong DT770... Well, hopefully someone will learn from this and make better choices.
beerchug.gif

May 5, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #48 of 82
I must have missed something here...

I am not sure how this comparison is valid to be honest

The reason I say this is that each of us will have a preference for music, type of sound they like, etc.

I for one don't want bass heavy cans, and someone else may think the opposite.

Given that, how is one set of cans 'better' than another in that respect?

It’s subjective to a large degree, no? Perhaps not.

I wonder if each of us could agree on the results of a test like this if we all listened one after the other?

Perhaps we could on some points but not others. I’m not sure.

I guess that my point is, that trying them out on your own ears is necessary no matter how you look at it.

Using a review like this as a benchmark is not a great idea if you ask me.

The review is not prefaced with a comment on preferred tastes and dislikes. If it were, I would not have read all of it, because my tastes are different.

Even so, after reading a few lines of the review, I could tell almost immediately that the AKG’s would finish low in most categories and they did. LOL

I use the K271MKII as my daily home cans. For me they are great even via a portable head amp. If you need a bit more bass you can apply an EQ and be very happy.

I spent a few ours last night listening to 'a love supreme' and 'ascension' on them. The detail is great and the soundstage is quite nice, to me, I mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

Others may agree or disagree but they will not convince me to get rid of me AGK’s, or that any money was wasted in getting them.

No way.

May 5, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The review is not prefaced with a comment on preferred tastes and dislikes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... These criteria color my preferences, so you should be aware of these biases.

May 5, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #50 of 82
Two other than the AGK's: the Shure's and the Denon's.

Please keep in mind that just because someone does not post on a site does not mean they don't read it and that they don't listen to or make music.

As I read this, I don't see the preferences as clearly stated. All I could focus on was the apparent bias. It had my attention.

This of course does not mean that I could do better, only that it makes no sense to me to think that some cans are the wrong ones based on someone else’s call on the matter. That’s all.

I do; however, appreciate the good effort and the gesture in putting a review together.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #51 of 82

Quote:
I must have missed something here...

I am not sure how this comparison is valid to be honest

The reason I say this is that each of us will have a preference for music, type of sound they like, etc.

I for one don't want bass heavy cans, and someone else may think the opposite.

Given that, how is one set of cans 'better' than another in that respect?

It’s subjective to a large degree, no? Perhaps not.

I wonder if each of us could agree on the results of a test like this if we all listened one after the other?

Perhaps we could on some points but not others. I’m not sure.

I guess that my point is, that trying them out on your own ears is necessary no matter how you look at it.

Using a review like this as a benchmark is not a great idea if you ask me.

The review is not prefaced with a comment on preferred tastes and dislikes. If it were, I would not have read all of it, because my tastes are different.

Even so, after reading a few lines of the review, I could tell almost immediately that the AKG’s would finish low in most categories and they did. LOL

I use the K271MKII as my daily home cans. For me they are great even via a portable head amp. If you need a bit more bass you can apply an EQ and be very happy.

I spent a few ours last night listening to 'a love supreme' and 'ascension' on them. The detail is great and the soundstage is quite nice, to me, I mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

Others may agree or disagree but they will not convince me to get rid of me AGK’s, or that any money was wasted in getting them.

No way.

All reviews are subjective but that doesn't make them "invalid" 

Good for you that you disagree with the OP - that is the great thing about a review - it is his opinion.  The whole point of a review on Head-Fi (to me anyway) is that it such a review is open for comment, agreement, disagreement, meandering random thoughts that have nothing to do with the review, etc.  I think the OP did a great job and I for one am appreciative of his efforts.

Of course, you can either take such a review at face value and use it to influence your buying decision, or if you are an owner of one or more of the cans reviewed you can see if the OPs review is in line with your own experience and comment accordingly.  There is no definitive single answer as to what is better and to imply the OP is wrong because your views are different is missing the point of his good effort.  The resulting discussion on this post has made up my mind to buy the DT770 600ohms - despite the fact that the OPs wasn't that keen on these (to be fair he reviewed a lower ohm version) - but other's comments convinced me that I will stick to the DT770 600ohm as the closed partner to my existing DT880 600ohm despite actually wanting to try a different brand this time. 

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #52 of 82
Excellent review eucariote. I'm curious about the Shure

egg role shure

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #54 of 82
I am a long-term user of AKG K271s, HD580 and yesterday received a Denon AH-D5000.

First and foremost, the Denon received merits for being the one of the finest closed headphones (second to D7000). Technically speaking the Denons are closed, but in reality the earcups provide as little isolation as open headphones (ambient noise entering and music leaking). That silk or cotten wrapped cable shoots "retro" and "high end", but it easily nicks and twists. Very unpractical. I am however amazed by the rich, fast, extended and detailed sound that clearly tops my HD580. They are usable from an iPod or MacBook, but then not really better than a PortaPro.  They are great both from my Amity HPA 3 and my Arrow HE (gain II). Punch and speed improves when changing settings (gain III, impedance 1). Pricing in Germany is between €560 and €700 (nominal list price) which is steep and not quite adequate. I got them way cheaper as demo sample, and I am happy.

Still AKG K271s rule as true closed headphone for both home and portable use, in particular when other people are present in the same room. In this context, the automatic mute function is an additional benefit. In particular my Arrow HE (gain II, bass boost III) deals perfectly with the K271s' bass deficit. But there are even recordings for which I prefer to turn off bass boost (Guru: Jazzmatazz, Cassandra Wilson). The popularity as studio headphones means they are widely and cheaply available from music and studio stores (from €140), including cheap spare earpads or cables. On close-out sale they were even cheaper (being replaced by K271 II). For travelling, with a risk of damage, loss or theft that is good argument. The one and only downside is their bulk, with no way to fold or collaps. Hence they are not really practical for commuting. In terms of sales numbers, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro is less popular (and less neutral). Sennheiser HD25 is another popular closed headphone, mainly as monitor for outdoor recording or broadcasting. It is better for mobile use (compact and firm fit, usability unamped), but sound quality and comfort is inferior.

I did not consider Shure and in particular Grado, because pricing in Germany is extravagant, to say the least. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #55 of 82
@ zappp.

Congrats on the new cans.
What's your feeling about the low end on the D5000?
You know... the bass.
wink_face.gif

shane

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #56 of 82
The snappy K271 may have bass, the D5K has ...baaaaaaaass...
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #58 of 82
My HD 25 I is very rugged and all parts are user replaceable and it improves with amping, but SQ and comfort are below K271s. It helps to change to velour earpads, but still I find K271 more comfortable. 

Anyway for mobile use I prefer IEM (RE0) 

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #59 of 82
Thanks to your review, I had an in-person rerun of your evaluation, but I used a Graham Slee Solo amp...a bit overkill, but hey that's all my friend could lend me :p...

I actually didn't like the SHR840's in the beginning, but definitely benefits from a bit of burn in (give it about 150 hours). Very pleasant overall, couldn't ask for more with the price performance....but would like a larger sound stage as indicated. Classical will never be a as good as other sets (heck the HD 555's were better at handling Beethoven's drop kicks, and Bach's harpsichords and violins bled my heart more with the Senn's ).

As for the DT770, they are too shouty for my ears, made Tracy Thorne sound like a high pitched french horn...she does have a bit of that mind you... and not really a classical set either from what my ears wanted.

Actually disappointed with the Grado's...my ears are definately not Grado ears, I didn't like how they articulated mid's, which is surprising since they are lauded as great sounding sets.

As for the K271's, they were good, but again too shouty for my liking and actually a bit too colored sounding. Would like to try a full EQ with the set.

I tried the new Beyer dynamic T50p's, but the mids were disappointing for such a quality of a set, small drivers sounding like small drivers-they have thump and shout, but so does a baby elephant...so I think they work better in the full size T1, which sound great btw.

Each of these headsets have their own strengths and none were perfect, but I would have to agree with your decision given your comparisons. Shure it is.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #60 of 82
Let me ask a bold question for you guys.

Will it ever be necessary to upgrade from the SRH840's without spending over $350+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back