Closed cans with forward sound and sparkly highs?
Jul 18, 2011 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ounwx

Head-Fier
Does such a thing exist?

I'm in the market for something in the $100-250 range. I'd be using it almost exclusively for rock music. Gaming and movies are not concerns.

I recently went through a rather long and drawn-out hunt for speakers, and ultimately concluded that Klipsch best suit my tastes, by far. Forward sound and sparkly highs that are not rolled off or smoothed out are my thing. I know not what others speak of when using terms like "too bright" and "fatiguing." Also, I'm far from a bass-head, and am more likely to be annoyed than impressed by a bloated or strongly-emphasized low-end.

So Grado is the go-to brand for this style, I gather. Problem is, I need minimal to no leakage in the environment they'll be used in. Closed-back is a requirement, and preferably among the less leaky of closed-backs, at that. Comfort is a secondary concern, as well.

Unfortunately, the research I've done so far seems to indicate that closed-backs often tend toward a sound roughly opposite what I'm describing. Am I asking for the moon here, or are there any decent recommendations in my price range?

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 29
Ultrasone Hfi-580/DJ1, Ultrasone HFi-780 (both have big bass which you may not want, recessed mids and sparkly treble, very aggressive sound signatures)

Audio-Technica ESW9, ESW10. For these I am going purely off other people's comments so don't take my word as gospel, but supposedly these are the closest thing to closed grados.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 29

Quote:
Ultrasone Hfi-580/DJ1, Ultrasone HFi-780 (both have big bass which you may not want, recessed mids and sparkly treble, very aggressive sound signatures)

I am not so sure if Ultrasones are the best bargain for him if he is not even close of being a basshead..
Yes they have forward sound and sparkly highs/tremble but i think there are better cans out there for rock..
As you said very aggressive sound that is perfect for trance/techno etc...

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 29
I'm selling my HD-251's if your lookin, I got them for school like a dumb ass when I only had two months left, now then just sit in there box collecting dust.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 29
I thought the 25-1 had fairly rolled off treble? They are good for rock though.  The Shure SRH 940 is an excellent suggestion, skipped my mind when i made my first suggestions and is quite possibly exactly what the OP is looking for. Good call.

Quote:
I think the Sennheiser HD25-1 is what you're looking for, Ultrasones definitely have too much bass.

If you'd like something with minimal coloration you could check out the Shure 940, it has great treble extension. Might not have enough bass punch for you though.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 29
Klipsch Image ONE, DT770, AD700, SRH940, Phiaton PS500 and P5.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 29
Audio Technica: A2000X used
Sony: Z1000
Shure: SRH940

All very sparkly and forward to some extend. If going for the AT, I hugely suggest you have a powerful enough amp for low impedance headphones or it will sound pretty bad.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 29
I think Audio-Technicas may suit you well. The only one I've spent extensive time with is the W1000 (which is out of your range), but FWIR there is a pretty strong house sound that extends throughout most of the AT family. The W1000 were probably the definition of sparkly highs for me (i.e., treble was definitely emphasized a bit more than I'd consider neutral, but somehow never came across as harsh or aggressively bright - quite a feat) - moreso than any can I can think of besides Stax Lambdas. I don't know that I'd call them particularly "forward", though.

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Audio-Technica ESW9, ESW10. For these I am going purely off other people's comments so don't take my word as gospel, but supposedly these are the closest thing to closed grados.

I don’t think this is true at all. I had a pair of ESW9s that I really enjoyed but they were the exact opposite of sparkly. they were bassy and lush in the mids but rolled off at the high end. Don’t get me wrong - it can be a great sound, but it’s pretty much the opposite of the grado sound sig.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 29
yea, the HD 25's aren't very rolled off in the high end, a bit so they are not harsh but they still have that upper mid and lower high sparkle to them. I listen to primarily metal , rock, and electronic and they have server me quite well for those genres. For more delicate genres I would suggest something else. Isolation is second to none also, I have yet to hear a headphone than can isolate better*including the Tesla 50rp's*

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 29
Seems the HD-25 II is coming up the most so far. I've looked at it before, but I'm concerned in that the headband looks awfully stiff and rather thin/flimsy, and really the whole model just seems to scream "uncomfortable" when looking at photos. Can anyone comment on that aspect? My ears tend to get hot pretty easily, and the pads on the HD-25 look really small compared to most closed models, which I'd think could exacerbate the problem.

The HFI-580 and SRH-940 look to have a more stout build quality to them, but it sounds as if the former is for bassheads and the latter is really pushing the envelope on what I'd like to spend, especially if I'm going to need an amp too.

EDIT: Also, to clarify, I'm not as concerned with isolation as I am with minimal leakage. So any comments on that aspect of these models would also be helpful. Ideally, my coworkers sitting 5 ft. away at another cube wouldn't be able to hear a thing at normal listening volumes.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Klipsch Image ONE, AD700, SRH940

Although you like Klipsch for speakers, do NOT get the Image One's. They are the opposite of what you like. Very bloated bass that muddies up the mids, and the treble is rounded off. Absolutely not what you're looking for.

Also, the AD700's are open-backed, so not what you're looking for as well.

The SRH940 seems to be what you're after, though. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 29
Many thanks for the help so far.

I seem to be narrowing my search to the HD 25 II and Shure SRH-840/940.

New question: would the SRH-840 (significantly cheaper and in stock at my local Guitar center) have a similar sound signature to the SRH-940, and thus be down the alley of what I'm looking for?

Trying to decide whether it's worth the 45-minute drive and $10 in gas to try them out. They should have the Senn's in stock, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back