closed can comparison: $100 to $1500
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sy0296

New Head-Fier
I made a thread last night in the portables forum but got minimal responses.  perhaps it's the way i worded the thread...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538145/best-over-ear-headphones-i-can-buy-to-use-with-a-iphone

anyways, I want to buy a new set of headphones for a upcoming trip where I will have many free hours everyday to listen to music...something I haven't had the luxury to do for a past few years.  Since I'm working on a tight timeline (need to purchase by end of this week), I've decided to take the matter into my own hands.  By utilizing some store's great return policies, I just made a few orders for some different headphone I think might fit my bill.  I will spend a few days auditioning them side-by-side to find the set that fits my needs.

my background:
Music is my passion.  I grew up listening to it, practicing it, performing, creating it, and even at one point tried to make a career out of it.  Although now 31 years old, I don't quite have the same amount of time to dedicate to it as I did when I was 21, I still try to find ways to enjoy it every opportunity I can.  In the car, at the airport, on the airplane, etc...Because I'm constantly on the move around the globe and many times am in an noisy environment, I needed something that would easy fit in my pocket yet block out as much ambient noise as possible.  For these reasons, I've used various IME's for a few years (er4p to e530pth to triplefi.10), both amped and unamped.  I used to carry around a custom cmoy hybrid amp with an ipod, but since the release of the iphone, I began using my iphone as the source unit and listening to the earphones unamped--less stuff to carry around especially since post 9-11 airport security is a hassle sometimes.  

the triplefi.10 have worked great for me in the past couple years but with some shortcomings, primarily too much bass and painful after a couple hours.  I know I can get them re-shelled or even get other custom-molded IME.  However, I really do prefer the open sound of bigger cans vs. the tightly focus sound of IME and honestly, also want to try something new.  The only set of full size headphones I've owned in the past are a set of AKG K240 which I used as studio monitors when I had my own mini recording studio years ago, so I'll admit, along with the 3 sets of IME's + 1 set of full size headphones, my experience is very limited.  I do have many years of experience in Home audio and mobile audio however and know what music is supposed to sound like and know how I like to listen to music.

my goal:
Find a set of full size headphone that still sound good unamped with my iphone.  I will use an amp when I can, however, because don't want to compromise too much for those times when I cannot use one.  Price is not a factor since I know I will be using these for a few years and I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it allows me to enjoy music but my wife would probably make me sleep with the dog for a while if I go more than $1500...good thing there are not many 'portable friendly' option above that range.  Light weight + collapse-able are added bonuses but not necessary prerequisites.  Criteria from most-->least important: sound (warm, laid back, with decent but no overwhelming bass), comfort (leaning toward circumaural with BIG cups), noise suppression (enough for airplanes would be nice), size, built (i'm very careful with my toys so they don't need to be built like a tank), price, aesthetics

the contenders:
I've spent the past two months reading reviews and trying out different headphone every opportunity I could.  That being said, there are not many places I can demo different headphones, let along compare them in a relatively quiet environment.  However, based on several I've heard individually and reviews I've gathered on head-fi and other online resources I've narrowed my selection down to these (listed from lowest to highest price)

1. Denon AH-D1100 ($120): I heard them at an airport dutyfree shop and liked them enough to almost buy them, so I've included them in this comparo

2. Audio Technica ATH-M50S ($149.95): Although I've listen to other AT headphones and didn't really like them, many reviewers complement these so much I've decided to give them a try...hell, if I end up with $149.95 headphones I've got some extra money to spend on something else

3. Beyerdynamic T50P ($299.95): To be honest, my two top contenders are the T50P's bigger sibling, the T5P and the Ultrasone Edition 8.  However, many reviews say the T50P are among the best for true portable phones I've added them to the line-up.  Although these are not true full size over the ear headphones, reviews say they are comfortable and do a good job at keeping the music in and the noise out.  

4. Beyerdynamic T5P ($1295): Auditioned other Berydynamic headphone and liked the sound.  The tesla technology is supposed to make these the pinnacle of portable headphones so naturally these are one of my top choices.

5. Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium ($1699):  I could not find a set of the standard E8's from a store with a good return policy so I went with the more expensive Palladium.  If I end up liking these the best, I'll likely return these Palladium plated cans for the regular E8's and save a few hundred bucks...that being said, I really think these are over priced and I'm hoping I'll end up choosing one of the other headphones after my review.  Plus, the driver is titanium plated and I tend to stay away from these based on my past experiences with titanium tweeters in home/car audio.  But these had great reviews as well so I've got to try them out

Reference:
As I mentioned, my experience with good headphones are extremely limited so I've actually also purchased a set of Grado RS1i to use as the measuring stick.  I auditioned a set of SR325is and enjoy the sound.  Although for my taste they were a bit too "peppy" I really enjoy the openess/airiness in sound stage as well as the excellent separation.  All the reviews tell me the RS1i is supposed to take all that too a higher level.

Testing procedure:
This is be a highly subjective test since I like listen to music a little different then the guy next door.  I will do a preliminary subjective sound test, amped and un-amped by using some of the music I've recorded prior to breaking the headphones in. When listening to them un-amped, I will use them both indoors and outdoors (probably at a mall) to see how sell they do in noisier environments.  Then I'll break them in for another 40~50hrs and test them one more time after which I'll need to decide so I can start sending the rest of them back before my wife see's the massive credit card bill.  I will also rate the size, comfort, and built quality as compared to each other.

Your comments and suggestions for testing procedures anything you can contribute regarding your own experiences with the above headphones (and others you think I missed) will help me a lot.  

Thanks for reading!  The headphones all should arrive by February 8th...very excited! :)

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 19
wow, that's a huge price range! I wish I could recommend the t5ps, because they are supposed to be great, but I never heard them. Instead, I can recommend my own choice for portable, the ath esw10jpn. These are excellent sounding headphones which are small enough to be portable, isolate quite well in noisy environments and perform like full-sized high-end cans. Plus they are easily driven, so you don't necessarily need an amp. They sound better than the esw9a I think, but are somewhat harder to obtain perhaps.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 19
I'm a little late to the game here, but I've tried both the D1100's and the T5P and there simply isn't a fair comparison. The T5P's are simply incredible. They are big so they might not be the most portable in that regard, but the Denon's simply cannot compete. Different class altogether. The T5P is closed-can goodness. Accurate, tight...large enough sound stage, not sloppy at all.

Have not tried the others in your list.

Hope that helps!
AO

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 19
For some years I have been in the search of the BEST (to my ears, of course) closed headphone. I use a closed can almost 90% of the time, and a big portion of this time outside my office rig while traveling, commuting, etc. I have tried most of the closed cans out there, every time an interesting new model comes out I get it, so far these are the one's I kept in order of preference:

1. STAX 4070 Monitors, the Reference for which others are judged, of course these arent portable.
2. Beyerdynamic T5p, the ultimate "portable" so far...
3. Shure SRH 940, the most natural sounding for utility purposes, for when I dont want to take my T5p's

For me the best way to audition headphones and speakers is by playing pieces from a jazz ensemble, a symphonic orchestra and a solo piano/organ, these give all the natural frequency range, but most importantly the broadest dynamic range, which a superb headphone should be able to reproduce. I avoid listening to electronic music as it makes it very difficult to judge natural sound. Natural sound for me is a live un-amplified performance of an ensemble using all analogue instruments in a small chamber room.

I would throw out the Denon's, AT's and T50p's from your list, they all have terrible humps in the low-mid and bass region that are unforgivable. These cans are meant for the pop music lover demographic, and thus they should reproduce compressed music in an ok manner.

If you really want to go without an amp, then your money should go to the Ultrasone Ed. 8's, although not my favorite sound because of their overly warm tonality, they still are very good. I suggest you look at the Headstage Arrow amp, its exactly the size of the iphone and super slim, its worth it if you want to go a step further and get the T5p's which need to be amped to sound their best. The Shure 940's are imo the most refined option at a lower price point, I prefer them amped but many here argue that they sound good unamped.

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 19
Denon AH-D7000

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #8 of 19
HD25-1-ii.... save some bucks and great (indestructible+excellent sound+very replaceable parts+light  weight+ sound isolating) headphone

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 19
You may want to replace the T50p on your list w/its successor, the DT1350. Has slightly larger cups than the T50p but overall still a smaller package than the T5p. But like the T5p it really needs to be amped to reach its full potential, but man does it sound great when it does. =)

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 19
X2 HD25

lightweight, indestructible, great sound, great isolation

i seriously doubt the editions 8 still would be so shiny if they'd take as mauch abuse as my hd25s. just imagine dropping ed8 on the walkway 
popcorn.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 19
:haha

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 19
Jul 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
You realize he's only considering portable headphones, don't you?

If he has the T5p on there, I dont see why the D7000 shouldn't be suggested. However he would have to shorten and reterminate the long cable and 1/4 jack to 1/8 jack. I wouldn't personally use either as portables since they don't isolate well and are big but hey, different people have different views on portability. On top of the clear portables such as the HD25 and the DT1350, I would also consider the Pro headphones from Ultrasone.

Jul 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 19
1. I guess you've never actually seen the D1100. They're smaller than the D2000.
2. They're very durable (the D2000 has a following with loose screw problems, and my friends' D2000s are testament to that).
3. The D1100 comes with a carrying case for on-the-go. The D2000 doesn't (that should tell you something).

Quote:
What is the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back