Closed Back Grado SR80i
Jul 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:
i'll be the first one :) and what's the difference between the sr80i and SR60i?

Too late! There have been many, many discussions about this topic.
These headphones used to sound different when they came with different ear pads. With the same pads, what ever sonic difference there might be is small. There is really no point losing too much sleep over which one to get. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:
Okay but would it be interesting to close a grado?

it would be interesting but it wouldn't sound good. grados are meant to be opened

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 38
BTW if anyone cares, the SR-80 driver can fit inside the DJ100 shell.
It'd be a waste of time and would sound terrible.

If you have the skill, you can make the DJ100 open, but good luck drilling a hole into that thing.
The DJ100 enclosure is aluminum, but inside you can remove the plastic inside the cup to expose the metal.

The drivers are exactly the same size with the same plastic surrounding them.

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 38
I wouldn't bother really...

I imagine some people have spare Grado drivers and love to experiment.

I've actually put the DJ100 drivers inside an HD-497 and XB500 shell before.

Now that I think of it, you can put the SR-80 driver inside the HD-497 shell. Too bad it's discontinued. That's an open headphone and would require a recable obviously.
I actually found that the Maxell DHP-II memory foam pads fit it!

A more portable SR-80 with memory foam pads might be interesting..

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 38
I wouldn't bother really...

I imagine some people have spare Grado drivers and love to experiment.

I've actually put the DJ100 drivers inside an HD-497 and XB500 shell before.

Now that I think of it, you can put the SR-80 driver inside the HD-497 shell. Too bad it's discontinued. That's an open headphone and would require a recable obviously.
I actually found that the Maxell DHP-II memory foam pads fit it!

A more portable SR-80 with memory foam pads might be interesting..

So don't close them just make them better and recase them?

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #27 of 38
Sounds great. I always like seeing others mod, even if it's "assumed" that the results won't be better than the original. Good luck!

Quote:
I'll start drawing, put the drawings on hf and you guys an say if you like it ok?

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #28 of 38
So don't close them just make them better and recase them?

Generally closing an open back headphone (especially something that's as open as a Grado) will destroy the sound signature. Now the result itself may not be terrible, but it will be nothing like the original. Headphile has been doing this for years with Sennheisers and Grados, and usually the resale and second-hand market for the creations is abysmal relative to their initial cost. That should tell you something.

Now, having said that, I'm sure if you spent enough time tweaking you could get something fairly decent, but it would almost certainly be unique from the Grado experience. Putting them in another shell will accomplish that, and who knows what the outcome will be like. That's why SR-60s are a good place to start (or iGrados, iirc they use the same size drivers) if you're ripping them up - better to sink a $70 pair of headphones than a $700 pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back