Classical musician about to take the headphone plunge, need advice!
Jan 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #61 of 76
Quote:
I am sorry to disturb, but I am a classical pianist (not a pro but I play since many years), and I would want also to get advice on a headphone purchase, but with a larger budget, up to 800$. I currently have the HD598 and they are fine but I am looking for a more detailed sound, with a bit more bass, especially a more detailed bass (to me the HD598 has bloated bass, without enough details), more clarity and more treble sparkle.

I can recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-W5000. Do not hesitate though to bend the metal headbands to get a good seal depending on the form of your head, otherwise you might find it bass-light. Very detailed headphones throughout the bandwidth, fast transients, and very good tonal balance. Sound-stage, imaging is top-notch.

You can get a good price for them refurbished or used.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #62 of 76
Check out the FA-003 (or FA-002w), they can be had for $150ish and don't require an amp (I'm sure they'll benefit from one though). I just got mine (first pair of nice headphones ever 
happy_face1.gif
) and they're quite nice, I felt like they had amazing synergy with a few symphonies I listened to (but that could just my new toy feeling combined with the first glance at hifi audio).. they're closed, but they sound very open. I can't say in comparison to actual open headphones though..

I feel like I've opened a can of worms by buying this first set of hifi equipment...

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:
Check out the FA-003 (or FA-002w), they can be had for $150ish and don't require an amp (I'm sure they'll benefit from one though). I just got mine (first pair of nice headphones ever 
happy_face1.gif
) and they're quite nice, I felt like they had amazing synergy with a few symphonies I listened to (but that could just my new toy feeling combined with the first glance at hifi audio).. they're closed, but they sound very open. I can't say in comparison to actual open headphones though..

I feel like I've opened a can of worms by buying this first set of hifi equipment...

Where did you get yours?

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #65 of 76
i would look no short then the dt-880/dt-990 for classical .. those two are *maybe* in the class , or near if not in the very same league , of the hd600 ..

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #66 of 76
Why don't you go to a Guitar Center or other store that has plenty of decent headphones and listen to a bunch of them? Bring some of your favorite CDs with you.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #67 of 76

Quote:
Er, or the 580's.  Hmm.  What are the differences again?  Ergh.

580 and 600 share the same drivers, but have different grills / plastics , and different cable .
595 is a new design .

main difference between 580/600 and 595 ( to my ears ) are :
*the 580/600 have overall better bass and overall better refinement throughout the frs spectrum , are old school sennheiser  , and have some reputation around the world , that's for some reason ,..... can sound somewhat distant to some ears and without adequate amplification ..

*the 595 have a ready "bigger-wider" soundstage , a more upfront sound , especially some midrange , therefore for this two reason mainly are somewhat more engaging when compared to the 580/600 on some amplification ..

i feel that 600 properly driven  better the 595 nicely .

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #69 of 76
Yeah, I'd like to find somewhere with some good headphones, but I've no idea where to go in Humboldt County (far northern CA) for that.  I've tried the local music shops, plus Sears, K-Mart, Target, Radio Shack and a pawn shop.  Of all these only the pawn shop had anything remotely interesting to listen to.  Am currently looking to find audiophiles in the area with houses that are easy to break into.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #70 of 76
Audio Technica is well known for having some great classical cans. I'm not sure if you're up for open air style, but the AD900's are terrific for what you're looking for!

I can recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-W5000. Do not hesitate though to bend the metal headbands to get a good seal depending on the form of your head, otherwise you might find it bass-light. Very detailed headphones throughout the bandwidth, fast transients, and very good tonal balance. Sound-stage, imaging is top-notch.

The Wizard here has a point, and I agree with him, however finding a pair of W5K's in the original poster's price range, even used, will be a chore. But to the person with a bigger budget, you're not going to get notable bass out of the W5K's without the F5005 mod, which is linked in my profile and I highly reccomend for people who want to turn their W5K's into better all rounder headphones with less fatigue because of the strong and aggressive mids and highs.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #72 of 76

Quote:
Audio Technica is well known for having some great classical cans. I'm not sure if you're up for open air style, but the AD900's are terrific for what you're looking for!

Quote:

The Wizard here has a point, and I agree with him, however finding a pair of W5K's in the original poster's price range, even used, will be a chore. But to the person with a bigger budget, you're not going to get notable bass out of the W5K's without the F5005 mod, which is linked in my profile and I highly recommend for people who want to turn their W5K's into better all rounder headphones with less fatigue because of the strong and aggressive mids and highs.

I wouldn't want more bass from the W5k myself; plenty of it to me; my guess is most of you guys either don't bend those metal bands enough or that most of you are bass-heads without realising it. Wait, I see what's coming, you're going to call me a treble-head...

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #73 of 76

Quote:
Two professionals have already weighed in that Grados are excellent for classical music. To be honest, I often doubt reviewers of classical works by armchair audiophiles.

It's the internet so anyone can claim to be a pro or semi-pro musician or vocalist. I don't necessarily doubt the either two previous posters but neither do I give their claims a lot of extra weight just because they say they are musicians. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back