Classical Music Shootout: AD2000, HD650/600, K701/K501 (sorry, longwinded)
Oct 8, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #31 of 91
This forum is full of temptations.

As I don't have my HD650 with me atm, I'm also tempted to save up for a pair of used HD600 + aftermarket (Zu/650-stock/Audioart) cable just to see how they sound.

But then, wallet tells me to save up for RS-1/2s...

But then, Elephas's comments persuade me to save up for the AD2000...

Very nice comparison btw...

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
This forum is full of temptations.

As I don't have my HD650 with me atm, I'm also tempted to save up for a pair of used HD600 + aftermarket (Zu/650-stock/Audioart) cable just to see how they sound.

But then, wallet tells me to save up for RS-1/2s...

But then, Elephas's comments persuade me to save up for the AD2000...

Very nice comparison btw...

Temptations indeed!
600smile.gif

I'm not laughin' at ya; I'm laughing WITH ya! Now these guys have pretty well got me convinced that not only are getting HD-600 a good idea, but it would be better yet to add K501 into the mix as well! Is there no end to this madness!
mad.gif

evil_smiley.gif
frown.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

....yeah! I can see the need for all three!

Yeah!

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #33 of 91
Know this is an old thread, but was a very enjoyable read.

I find the clarity of the midrange of the AD2000 to be dependant on how they are worn.

In stock form, my ears pushed hard against the drivers (or the metal covering them), and I got a lot of enjoyable midrange. The cost was less clarity in both midrange and treble and a bit lack of separation.

I now use the tube mod for the pads (also called fat pads or phat pad mod). My ears still touch the drivers (or the metal) but not as hard anymore. The midrange takes a step back, but the clarity of the midrange and treble is greatly increased. The timbre improved as the treble increased. (they were rather recessed before). The bass got a bit more three dimensional, instead of two dimensional.

As the clarity increased, so did the detail. The comfort is also much much better.

For some people, the pad mod didn't work out well, but maybe they already had a good fit. For me however, it was a success.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #34 of 91
"You are correct, sir!"

Makes all the difference in their sound... and... softens their upper mids.

With a minor mod, proper positioning... proper burn-in... and a matching set up - they're one of the best.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #35 of 91
BinK -

Excellent review!

Coincidently, I just started a thread concerning upgrading from AD700 to K/501701 for classical music, early this morning, and was wondering why I was getting few responses...heh, now I know where the classical action is with the AKG 501/701 crowd today!
biggrin.gif

I also agree with your rankings of the autos, in both the performance and comfort categories, too.
wink.gif

Thanks again.

Edit: Gah! I only now noticed the date of the OP! Heh, great read none-the-less, even if my comments about why my recent new thread got little action seem kinda' silly now.
rolleyes.gif

*bookmarks*

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #36 of 91
I'm glad this got bumped too. I'm looking to get a new 'big' can to add to my HD595 and SA5000.

I think I might be a bit shy against the brighter cans as that is what i have with SA5000s.

I really want massive soundstage. I want the music to evaporate and float around me. HD600/650 or K701 or AD2000 is my question too....which did the op find the best for soundstage???

I want a relaxation can as the SA5000 is analytical enough for me.

I pretty much listen to classical only and have most of ht emusic the op uses
biggrin.gif

Good taste to you sir!!!

Jun 28, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #37 of 91
I think that this is the best review, and, in its own way, the greatest thread, that I've ever found at Head-Fi.

Even if you're not a big fan of classical music, what Bill says about the headphones under review can be applied to other music forms.

A classic thread.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that this is the best review, and, in its own way, the greatest thread, that I've ever found at Head-Fi.

Even if you're not a big fan of classical music, what Bill says about the headphones under review can be applied to other music forms.

A classic thread.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks much folks for the kind words and interest in this old thread. I enjoyed doing that - so long ago now. FWIW, the HD600's are the only shootout contestant left in my stable.

If I were to repeat the shootout, I would include the Denon D2000, Stax Lambda and Yamaha YH-1 (modded - see Orthodynamic Roundup). After a some years of critical listening, to my ears now the modded Yamaha YH-1 would walk away with most of the honors.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #39 of 91
hehehe i totally agree with this ad2000 eqing bit. They are very capable cans. Theyre not balanced right though. I think the hd600s are the bomb!!!

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #40 of 91
excellent review. good read.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #41 of 91
I know people don't sometimes like the HD6** series, but you keeping them simply shows that there are other superior cans for other listening purposes where the AD2000 and K701 might be better, but for the luscious creamy enveloping caressing sound HD600/650 are the best.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #43 of 91
So in general if I can distill it down - HD650 might be better made or closer tolerances but it is darker/mellower and more lush than the slightly brighter clearer HD600?? At least given no OTT amping or balancing???

Which is the nicest for airy soundstage and immersion so the music floats all around your head??? HD600 or HD650???

I'm looking for a new can to complement my sony Sa5000 (hyper detailed, hyper open, but a bit bright with some amps and almost harsh sometimes - eq or impulse files can really tame it though i must admit and almost make it sound senn-like)
and HD595 - heavy veil without good amping, padding falling apart now, not very open soundstage and a bit too forward.

I'm just unsure which would fit my current cans well.
The ultra mellow and slushy HD650???
HD600 with HD650 cable???
K701??
AD2000 - although I fear this is almost close to the Sony SA5000s.

I guess if I'm looking for the most relaxing syrupy listen it would be HD650 (sort of like my UM2s). HD600 would add a smidge more detail and brightness and balance???

Although people say the K701s are relaxing because of their naturalness.

I can't find the HD600s for cheaper than HD650 on ebay
frown.gif

I pretty much only listen to classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back