Classical Music Shootout: AD2000, HD650/600, K701/K501 (sorry, longwinded)
Jul 1, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A headphone with good soundstage and headstage make a sort of small space around your head where the sounds are coming, and instruments are placed in different lengths and heights. A headphone with small soundstage/headstage plays everything in-your-face and has very little space around the instruments and very little area where the sounds are coming from.

I actually like it when the sounds seem like to be originating in my head. So I actually prefer a small soundstage.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #62 of 91
about the sub 150 headphones with soundstage, I would try the audio technica ad700. Havent heard them though. The sennheiser 555 is under 100 and is a great all rounder with a soundstage IMO. Ive always been praising them on these forums to be a very underrated can once burned in.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about the sub 150 headphones with soundstage, I would try the audio technica ad700. Havent heard them though. The sennheiser 555 is under 100 and is a great all rounder with a soundstage IMO. Ive always been praising them on these forums to be a very underrated can once burned in.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/col...11/index3.html

Can you read my last post about the klipsch and give an recommendation? Thanks.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, you sound like the perfect candidate for AKGs.

I've not heard the ATs or HD555, so I don't know how much bass they have.

Which AKG model would you recommend? Any that are still in production and under 150 dollars and doesn't require amp?
Are the AKGs "neutral"?

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which AKG model would you recommend? Any that are still in production and under 150 dollars and doesn't require amp?
Are the AKGs "neutral"?

I meant the ones I recommend before. That's why I said unfortunately. You may be able to find a new K501, but, as you stated before, they'll probably be over your price range when you include shipping.

The only other headphone I've heard that might meet your criteria is the Sennheiser HD485. The sound signature is similar to the HD580. I bought one after reading the Head Room review. It's been a couple of years since I've heard it though.

You may want to look for a meet in your area. They're a good place to hear a variety of headphones.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

The only other headphone I've heard that might meet your criteria is the Sennheiser HD485. The sound signature is similar to the HD580. I bought one after reading the Head Room review. It's been a couple of years since I've heard it though.

They seem kind of cheap. So they don't require amps and won't pick up soundcard noises?

On second thought, are cheap headphones, like the plantronics better at blocking out static noise than the expensive (sensitive?) ones? So if I don't get an amp, then buying a 50 dollar plantronics would be better than an 100 dollar sennheiser that picks up all the distractions?

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #69 of 91
I never heard noise with them, and I used them out of the on board sound. Not every internal sound card picks up noise. With more revealing headphones will make it more likely you'll hear it if it's there. I don't know if any of the headphones, you'll be getting are revealing enough.

As for the HD485 being cheap, I'd call them more inexpensive
icon10.gif
They are pretty ruggedly built. I listened to them every day for 2 years and had no problem. And I wasn't incredibly careful with them. They're definitely better built than the HD280, and are much more comfortable.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

I never heard noise with them, and I used them out of the on board sound. Not every internal sound card picks up noise. With more revealing headphones will make it more likely you'll hear it if it's there. I don't know if any of the headphones, you'll be getting are revealing enough.

icon10.gif
They are pretty ruggedly built. I listened to them every day for 2 years and had no problem. And I wasn't incredibly careful with them. They're definitely better built than the HD280, and are much more comfortable.

Which headphones are "not revealing"?
Also, does plugging them into the headphone ports on high end PC speakers count as an amp?

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

icon10.gif

By "cheap", I didn't mean durability, I meant will the low price make it a poor sounding headphone. According to you that's not true.

So can you tell me in a bit more detail on how the HD485 sounds and why it's good for classical music? And how is it better than the HD280?

I'm now trying to pick between the HD280, HD485 and

Altec Lansing > HEADPHONES > Upgrader Series > UHP304

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

Which headphones are "not revealing"?
Also, does plugging them into the headphone ports on high end PC speakers count as an amp?

The vast majority of headphones aren't very revealing. You generally have to pay a bit to get a revealing headphone. Not that all expensive headphones are revealing.

For example, when listening to classical music, with a revealing headphone you might be able to hear the pages being turned. I've also heard people complain about being able to hear the keys of a bassoon, although a lot of headphones enable you to hear that.

Anything with a headphone jack, and volume control, is an amp, so your PC speakers are an amp. The question is how good. I'm sure some are good and some are bad. You'll probably not find much information here about them.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

The vast majority of headphones aren't very revealing. You generally have to pay a bit to get a revealing headphone. Not that all expensive headphones are revealing.

For example, when listening to classical music, with a revealing headphone you might be able to hear the pages being turned. I've also heard people complain about being able to hear the keys of a bassoon, although a lot of headphones enable you to hear that.

Anything with a headphone jack, and volume control, is an amp, so your PC speakers are an amp. The question is how good. I'm sure some are good and some are bad. You'll probably not find much information here about them.

I use the Creative gigaworks T20, and the Logitech Z2300, the Z2300 is THX certified. I don't know about their headphone quality, but for the 15 dollar plantronics, the sound is good and clear.

My PC speakers can hear the fingers tapping on the finger boards too, I think they just miked it too close. I just don't want to hear the static in the computer. So headphones at this price won't be that sensitive right?

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

By "cheap", I didn't mean durability, I meant will the low price make it a poor sounding headphone. According to you that's not true.

So can you tell me in a bit more detail on how the HD485 sounds and why it's good for classical music? And how is it better than the HD280?

I'm now trying to pick between the HD280, HD485 and

Altec Lansing > HEADPHONES > Upgrader Series > UHP304

It's been too long since I've listened to either to give a completely accurate comparison. Basically, for me the HD280 doesn't have enough bass to accurately portray instruments like bassoon and double bass. The HD485 has a slightly elevated bass, but not so elevated as to drowned out the mids.

Here's the graph from Head Room, comparing both the the K501 which is close to ideal for acoustic music IMO.

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back