Classical Music Listener: Please Help Me Find a Pair of Cans.
Mar 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #31 of 67
Quote:
The Beyers have a light airy sound but dont IMHO have have the heft for the likes of Bruckner, Wagner etc  

Think I'd have to demur from the "light, airy sound". Plenty of treble, yes, but plenty of bass when it's there too. There's just no mid-bass hump like in the HD650. I find no lack of heft on heavy orchestral music.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #32 of 67
Sony MDR-SA3000 - They get little love around here and yet there isn't a phone like it this side of a grand, dare I say a poor-mans Sennhesier HD800.

I've had the HD580/600 which are similar to the DT880, the 880s are edgier, brighter, whereas the HD580/600 are more laid back. I used to think Jazz sounded better on the Sennhesiers, acoustic is better on the HD580/600 and both are preference-preferred when it comes to typical classical.

The Sony SA3000 in comparison to the aforementioned is much more open and responsive, they create a better sense of the stage and instruments are very well defined. The negative side is that they don't carry the same amount of weight, drums have less impact, male vocals are not as powerful etc.

I suppose it depends where your preference in the music lies.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #33 of 67
Hey, checking in to say that I heard no difference between my 16 year old 580s and the 2 year old 600s. My nephew agrees that they sound the same.

I actually just sold the 600s to get my money back. Gonna grab some 600 grilles and some new pads for my 580s and call it a day for a while :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #34 of 67
if i am gonna use iphone n macbook without amping....and dun wanna spend a bomb,
these are what i would consider for classicals :

closed can : shure srh440
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DP1FTU/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364177141&sr=1-1&keywords=shure+srh440&condition=used

open can : audio technica ad900x
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD900X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S331VU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364177919&sr=1-1&keywords=ad900x

open can / on ear :  v-jays
http://www.amazon.com/Jays-Sweden-T00084-Ultra-Portable-Heavy-Bass/dp/B0072V72DI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364177755&sr=1-1&keywords=v-jays

earbuds  :  hisoundaudio LIVE
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592098/the-hisoundaudio-live-my-new-favorite-earbud
=============================

880 /701 / 600 / 650  are much preferred with amping...to me :p

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #35 of 67
This is Headroom's opinion on the Beyer DT880

Germany's Beyerdynamic has offered up a real contender for world's very best well-priced headphone with the DT880. Although these cans are ever-so-slightly more forward-sounding than what we can call absolutely "neutral", the DT880 serve up a wonderfully engaging audiophile headphone listening experience--absolutely TONS of clarity, crisply-rendered musical detail throughout all frequency ranges, and a very precise, deeply layered soundstage image and, thankfully, not a harsh note to be found! The DT880's mids and upper bass really hold together very well, so overall a seamless and smooth-sounding tonal presentation.
Amazingly expressive dynamics, superbly controlled highs, plus a sweet mid-range snap make the DT880 a very well-balanced can, but perhaps not the most ideal headphone choice for the heavy bass-loving hip-hop/rap/electronica crowd since the DT880 doesn't quite muster up the hefty bottom-end response required for anchoring modern funkitude. We think you'll love these headphones if you seek clear, clean sonics with plenty of airy musical detail, quick dynamics, excellent upper treble range extension, and a lively, ultra-open soundstage presentation. They are especially strong audio performers for classical, symphonic, chorale, chamber, and acoustic folk and jazz recordings.
The DT880 also seem particularly good at speech intelligibility, female vocal textures, and film soundtrack detail recovery for truly immersive movie/DVD watching and will deliver a superb high-end home theatre personal listening experience. Moreover, the DT-880 have become big faves amongst audio professionals doing analytical recording work who demand timbral accuracy, instrumental detail, and precise musical clarity above all else. By the way, we believe the recently revised DT880 to be just a smidgeon stronger in the low-mids/bass than previous DT880 editions--probably due to the extra damping material in the earpiece housing and (maybe?) the "softer", more rounded earcup shape. The revised DT880 headphone also features a simpler plastic/alloy headband design and some fairly minor cosmetic re-workings. Please remember that about 100-200 listening hours are required for the large-driver DT880 to fully 'burn-in' and sound its very best.

And Tyll from Innerfidelity http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm
While I found this headphone to be driven to satisfactory levels from portable devices, I felt the sound quality was degraded (likely by the poor damping factor) to the point that the price/performance ratio was poor. Essentially, you are not going to get DT 880-like performance from this pairing. I suggest that if you are looking for a portable headphone, the DT 880 32 ohm is a poor choice from a sound quality perspective. Additionally, you should be looking for a sealed design for portable use so that you will get some isolation from outside noise. I do not recommend this headphone.

Alternatives at or below this price would include: Denon AH-D2000 ($349; fast sounding); Shure SRH840 ($250; warm sounding); Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($199; slightly edgy but good otherwise); and the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviator ($149; great sound, poor isolation).
Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm
The DT 880 is a long-standing staple for headphone enthusiasts who like clear and airy highs with a bit of “zing” in them. I felt the bass was strong but a bit loose, and felt the mid-range a little lacking relative to the warm lows and zippy highs. Never the less, this is clearly a good performer in its price/category. It’s lower impedance and decent efficiency makes them able to be used with a portable device satisfactorily as long as you are not looking for high-volume levels. I think this is a good general-purpose headphone when you don’t need isolation. Yup, recommended.

Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm If you are only going to be using these headphones with home or desktop gear, the DT 880 600 ohm is a good choice. With sonic characteristics largely like those of the 250 ohm version above, but with slightly more finesse in the highs, these headphones compare well with the best of the headphones in this class. Also

Quote:

Think I'd have to demur from the "light, airy sound". Plenty of treble, yes, but plenty of bass when it's there too. There's just no mid-bass hump like in the HD650. I find no lack of heft on heavy orchestral music.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #36 of 67
Hello!

I would like to thank all of you for the great suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it!

Thus far, it's a toss-up between two headphones: Beyer DT880 and DT660.

Which do you think would be a better choice?

As of right now, I'm only affording the cans. An amp/dac will come later.

Is the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 a good choice?

What software program (for Mac) is best for pushing music out to the DAC. I use VLC to play FLAC files. Any better choices?

Once again, I primarily listen to piano, strings, chamber, and some orchestral.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #38 of 67
Quote:
I think you ought to consider the Sennheiser HDs as well. Can you get to a shop to audition them? It could be a very worthwhile thing to do!

Auditioning:

This was going to be my next question. How does one audition headphones?

I'm in the SF Bay Area. Anyone else on my side of the pond?

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #39 of 67
Certainly there's a good hi-fi shop in the city, or a pro audio shop? They will often let you demo cans. Places like B&H do so as well and have a surprisingly large collection.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:
Damn you can be sure most people would want to try out some headphones before dropping $300, I know I would!

Thing is you can get a pretty accurate idea of a headphone from reviews, I know it's overwhelming at first and yes people will always exaggerate the details. Truth is be it the DT880, HD600, SA3000 etc, any number of neutral phones will sound quite similar. Subtleties like bass and treble extension, soundstage and overall tone take time to become accustomed too. I know it takes me days if not weeks to truly decide on a headphone, I'm not sure what an hour or two would really offer as far as headphone longevity.

Regardless, this is Head-Fi. You buy a reasonably priced headphone, then an amp, then a DAC, then another headphone, and another, and another.... and before you know you're cursing the decision to ever post here in the first place.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Thing is you can get a pretty accurate idea of a headphone from reviews, I know it's overwhelming at first and yes people will always exaggerate the details. Truth is be it the DT880, HD600, SA3000 etc, any number of neutral phones will sound quite similar. Subtleties like bass and treble extension, soundstage and overall tone take time to become accustomed too. I know it takes me days if not weeks to truly decide on a headphone, I'm not sure what an hour or two would really offer as far as headphone longevity.

Regardless, this is Head-Fi. You buy a reasonably priced headphone, then an amp, then a DAC, then another headphone, and another, and another.... and before you know you're cursing the decision to ever post here in the first place.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of reviews and such. But, with this being my first headphone purchase, I would like to have an idea about what I'm buying.

This will probably be more of a one-time purchase, and I really do want to make sure it's a good 
beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:
Hello!

I would like to thank all of you for the great suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it!

Thus far, it's a toss-up between two headphones: Beyer DT880 and DT660.

Which do you think would be a better choice?

As of right now, I'm only affording the cans. An amp/dac will come later.

Is the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 a good choice?

What software program (for Mac) is best for pushing music out to the DAC. I use VLC to play FLAC files. Any better choices?

Once again, I primarily listen to piano, strings, chamber, and some orchestral.

I own both.  Do you want closed or open?  880 is semi-open (really, it's open) and 660 is closed.  Want privacy for yourself and others, buy closed.  Want a more expansive soundstage and don't mind hearing others and them hearing your music, buy open.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #45 of 67
Quote:
I think you're going to love whatever headphone you decide upon, no real need to audition a headphone before purchase.

I think most of us here use Foobar with it's bit-perfect playback.

Wow, there's a couple of big assumptiopns here. I don't think "most of us here" do anything the same except listen to headphones. Foobar? I don't even listen to music from a computer. As for loving any headphone he decides on, that's preposterous. Eni Meni Mini Mo...nope, doesn't work. You'd be flat out to pick the right one even after long auditions. As for this subsequent statement: "Thing is you can get a pretty accurate idea of a headphone from reviews", I say no, no, and no. I couldn't count the number of phones I've owned that sound nothing like the reviews, which is something I'm still trying to account for. You must listen, and on familiar material. There's just no substitute

Users who are viewing this thread

Back