Classical Music Listener: Please Help Me Find a Pair of Cans.
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #61 of 67
Yes we do have statutory rights in the UK but you can only return an item if its faulty, broken or not as described.  If you change your mind its up to the goodwill of the shop entirely. 
Quote:
I used to live in the UK and they have statutory rights, is there nothing similar in Aus?

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #62 of 67
Quote:
Yes we do have statutory rights in the UK but you can only return an item if its faulty, broken or not as described.  If you change your mind its up to the goodwill of the shop entirely. 

Yes, it's about the same in Oz. The US seems to be unique in regard to the swapping of headphones back and forth, which in any case seems kind of bizzare to me (I would have said unhygienic, but no doubt that issue is adequately addressed).

I know, let's all move to the US. Coming over, guys!  

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #63 of 67
You might also like to add to your list and have a listen to the Fostex T50RP's.  In their stock form they are surprisingly good for their modest cost ($100), especially second hand.  If you are inclined you can modify them to improve their overall sound quality and performance but recommend you use them with a headphone amplifier of some kind to maximise performance   

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:
i am using the software "audirvarna"  on my macAir...at least 4gb ram on board recommended.
The improved clarity is like a gear-upgrade. :)
http://audirvana.com/

udac-2 ....hmmm wasnt really impressed with it..
i would go with the nuforce HD/or HDP ( if u dun mind the power adaptor :p )
or a v convenient n portable dacportLX...this cigar has more than enough power for the 880.

Any free software alternative? Everything for mac seems to be shareware.
mad.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #66 of 67
To all who have posted into this thread:

I would really like to thank you for the help you've given me; I appreciate it.

I am sorry that I couldn't respond to each and everyone of you; I don't have the knowledge or experience to make thoughtful replies or suggestions.

Here's where my setup currently stands:

Headphones: Beyer DT880 250 ohm.

DAC: ?

AMP: ?

Software: ? (VLC for FLAC?, something else?)

Do I need a separate amp if I get a dac? I've taken a look at the dacs recommended in this thread; they're all more expensive than the headphones. What's a reasonable classical-music-oriented dac for around $200 (used market works)? As of right now, I think it would be hard for me to pay above $200 for a dac/amp combo.

beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #67 of 67
ODAC + O2

Aune t1

Or save up a bit longer and get the Audio-GD 11.32, which I think is extraordinary value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back