Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Jun 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #1,456 of 2,850
Folder.jpg

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #1,457 of 2,850
Ogdon was suffering mental illness. its famous.
so maybe his brain was too over driven. it makes playing faster i guess.

It's Sokolov who is off, not Ogdon, on the timings. The average for the Hammerklavier is around 45 mins. Ogdon's not that fast. Sokolov's way too slow, too indulgent.

cheers

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,458 of 2,850
It's Sokolov who is off, not Ogdon, on the timings. The average for the Hammerklavier is around 45 mins. Ogdon's not that fast. Sokolov's way too slow, too indulgent.

cheers

my mean is why Ogdon is not slow. Sokolov is good at avoid aggressive/faster interpretation with beautiful tone.
for example any Ogdon composition tend to be a tad fast for me.
maestro Asahina used to said that only high skilled good player can play slowly...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,470 of 2,850
I have this on my, way too long, wish list, kinda pricey, you think it's worth buying? I came to enjoy Haitink more and more over the years, especially his Mahler and Bruckner

If you have Haitink's first RCO cycle (Philips 63-72), plus his retakes of some symphs, like M1 1972, etc., then you should be happy. The Matinees are extra splurge -- they have that extra risk factor, being all live -- in fact, the applause at the end is preserved on these recs. I listened to M1, and the bass drums are not as resounding as the earlier Philips cycle, but the woodwinds are gorgeous. Brass is a tad bit brighter, but still pleasant. So, take your drug(s).....Will take me a while to listen to the rest of these Matinees.

I just bought Haitink's Mahler 3rd with the Bavarians. Superb. It doesn't displace my Bernstein '87 (yet), but it is now up there.

His Bruckner is excellent, and that inlcudes the few he did with the Vienna -- #5 and 8 in particular.

On another note, Haitink recently had an accident -- TG he is OK:
https://theviolinchannel.com/bernard-haitink-conductor-heavy-fall-on-stage-concertgebouw/

If it had been worse, Mahler's 9th would have been cursed for all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back