Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,426 of 2,850
Mozart edition, the violin sonatas
1524705290012119392275.jpg

May 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #1,432 of 2,850
One of my favorite Mozart pieces the Haffner serenade
15252289754481785249417.jpg

Beaux Arts trio: Mozart Piano trios and Clarinet trio "Kegelstatt"
Folder.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #1,434 of 2,850
Hey i have a question, can a good LP from the 60's 70's have captured Church or concert hall reverb?

May 5, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,435 of 2,850
Hey i have a question, can a good LP from the 60's 70's have captured Church or concert hall reverb?
Yes indeed ,to my ears and via my home system ,even mid fifties simply mic'd two mics Blumlein or three mics spaced omni recordings like Living Stereos on LP managed that quite easily.
With today's multi mic'd digital only very few sound as realistic in that respect as a good LP.
I suspect the temporal resolution of well made analogue as with direct cut LP could be higher than even hi res digital.
No bits limiting and no sampling limitations! No filtering and no reconstruction filtering and no interpolation needed.
I also suspect one important aspect in its favour is that it is not bandwidth limited as 44.1 khz and even DXD digital is.
I have yet to hear digital reproduce triangles and cymbals and other very hf harmonics intense instruments as realistically as direct cut LP at its best can.
Direct cut LPs can also capture very low level spatial information very realistically.
Concert Hall reverb decay into silence can be staggeringly realistic with good simply mic'd analogue in a way you rarely hear with digital imho.
According to some authorities one may need to record at 768 khz sampling rate in pcm to accurately capture enough information in the temporal domain.
Cheers Christer

May 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,436 of 2,850
Yes indeed ,to my ears and via my home system ,even mid fifties simply mic'd two mics Blumlein or three mics spaced omni recordings like Living Stereos on LP managed that quite easily.
With today's multi mic'd digital only very few sound as realistic in that respect as a good LP.
I suspect the temporal resolution of well made analogue as with direct cut LP could be higher than even hi res digital.
No bits limiting and no sampling limitations! No filtering and no reconstruction filtering and no interpolation needed.
I also suspect one important aspect in its favour is that it is not bandwidth limited as 44.1 khz and even DXD digital is.
I have yet to hear digital reproduce triangles and cymbals and other very hf harmonics intense instruments as realistically as direct cut LP at its best can.
Direct cut LPs can also capture very low level spatial information very realistically.
Concert Hall reverb decay into silence can be staggeringly realistic with good simply mic'd analogue in a way you rarely hear with digital imho.
According to some authorities one may need to record at 768 khz sampling rate in pcm to accurately capture enough information in the temporal domain.
Cheers Christer
Thanks buddy, I got the edizione vivaldi as 49 LPs and i am ripping them to 24-bit/96Khz and ditching the philipss own CD reissue as i saw the nasty brick wall filter on those Cds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back