Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 22, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #30,556 of 42,765
Hey I had to replace my Apple cck cable as some inner wire broke after 4 mo of constant use...I was going between the mojo and dragonfly...Luckily apple replaced it for free.
did the end come off?

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #30,558 of 42,765
Totally crazy in love with my Mojo (and Hidizs AP60 as transport USB) :

Just fantastic !! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #30,559 of 42,765
Some further testing... 

This is Anker PowerLine plugged into 1A PalmPre Charger:

With Powering unit on/off

Unit on, but playing/pausing music.

I don't think the AudioQuest Cable will do anything for me, but it'll be here tomorrow. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #30,561 of 42,765

Yours is worse than both of my bad ones, mine have been more of a hiss than a whine, but it's the same in that it's much quieter when music is actually playing. 

I also received an email from Chord to say "This is normal". Ummm, no... I don't think so!

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #30,563 of 42,765
This is somewhat relevant:

When I had a Creative Sound Blaster E1 and used it as an amp only by connecting an analog cable to its 3.5mm input, it would hiss when I connected a USB cable to charge it at the same time. (It did not hiss when it was used as a DAC/amp via USB only even though it charges at all times in that mode.)

Has anyone compared two Mojos from the same serial number batch and confirmed that one hissed under certain circumstances while the other did not? It seems like it's units from different serial number batches that are behaving differently.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #30,564 of 42,765
@Music Alchemist As far as I can tell all the users on here with this particular type of noise (when it's in trickle charge mode) have all had the later QR coded units, mine were 46xxx and 47xxx. 
I suspect there were some internal components changed at some point around the time of the QR coding, and that this batch is fairly big, which is why Chord are reluctant to say anything on here that might instigate a product recall. There was someone that had a 49xxx unit that didn't do this, so perhaps it's been fixed now?

Either way, I'm pretty shocked that a company of Chord's standing is happy to have units that do this out in the wild, and when questioned on it claim it's 'normal'.

It might be 'normal' in that all (or most) current units have the problem, but that's a totally different thing to 'acceptable'.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #30,565 of 42,765
After seeing my "linked" videos (in the email I sent back to Chord), they have told me to return the product to my vendor. I'm working with the vendor to get a replacement, but if the replacement does the same... I'm just going to ask for a refund and unfortunately find another device.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #30,566 of 42,765
@KookaBurrra, that Hidizs looks a tempting idea. I have been looking for a player that's OK sound quality on its own. Plus supports high-res, and pairs with Mojo. Nice find: nice post.

(I'd be interested to hear how it sounds alone. Am off to google it.) 

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #30,567 of 42,765
  @Music Alchemist As far as I can tell all the users on here with this particular type of noise (when it's in trickle charge mode) have all had the later QR coded units, mine were 46xxx and 47xxx. 
I suspect there were some internal components changed at some point around the time of the QR coding, and that this batch is fairly big, which is why Chord are reluctant to say anything on here that might instigate a product recall. There was someone that had a 49xxx unit that didn't do this, so perhaps it's been fixed now?

Either way, I'm pretty shocked that a company of Chord's standing is happy to have units that do this out in the wild, and when questioned on it claim it's 'normal'.

It might be 'normal' in that all (or most) current units have the problem, but that's a totally different thing to 'acceptable'.

Are you hearing noise on the headphone line or just out of the unit itself?

I have a 49xxx unit and do hear some whining out of the chord itself but have never heard anything over the headphone line itself. Using a quickcharge charger I have from my phone (provides 1.4A at variable voltages if the devices calls for it) what I hear is a bit of a whine when I first plug it in but before the charging light comes on. Then after 5 seconds or so, the charge light comes on and the whine because inaudible, unless I hold it directly up to my ear. This is using a cheapo cable from amazon I think.

What I just tried was when full (or should be nearly full) I plugged it into my laptop to charge, again with a cheapo amazon cable. Interestingly though, it did the opposite, no noise at first, then it started whining when the charge light came on (though I guess that means im not in trickle charge mode, right?). But the whine went away as soon as I actually powered on the mojo.

And I hear nothing through my headphones.

Don't know if thats helpful at all for your issue.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #30,568 of 42,765

Are you hearing noise on the headphone line or just out of the unit itself?

I have a 49xxx unit and do hear some whining out of the chord itself but have never heard anything over the headphone line itself. Using a quickcharge charger I have from my phone (provides 1.4A at variable voltages if the devices calls for it) what I hear is a bit of a whine when I first plug it in but before the charging light comes on. Then after 5 seconds or so, the charge light comes on and the whine because inaudible, unless I hold it directly up to my ear. This is using a cheapo cable from amazon I think.

What I just tried was when full (or should be nearly full) I plugged it into my laptop to charge, again with a cheapo amazon cable. Interestingly though, it did the opposite, no noise at first, then it started whining when the charge light came on (though I guess that means im not in trickle charge mode, right?). But the whine went away as soon as I actually powered on the mojo.

And I hear nothing through my headphones.

Don't know if thats helpful at all for your issue.

Just tried now out of curiosity, mine 40xxx is dead silent. Must be something with the later/higher numbers.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #30,569 of 42,765
hehe. Even when I play lower quality videos (that don't have much to offer in terms of sound) and use one of my least sonically favored (but most comfortable) headphones, the Koss Porta Pro KTC, I still hook it all up to the Mojo to get the most out of it. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back