Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #18,391 of 42,765
  Has anyone here compared Optical vs Usb on the Mojo? Iv'e been experimenting with different Optical cables but I still can't get it to sound as good as my phone with the otg cable. I first used an amazon basics cable and disliked the sound immediately. It sounded very dull and lifeless. 

The second cable I tried was a Belkin one and that one improved the transparency and overall SQ but still didn't sound as good as the cable from my phone. 
My gaming computer is quite noisy so by using Optical I pretty much bypass all the noise and RF issues associated with usb audio.
Also, is the Mojo immune to source jitter like Dave?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Optical cable? I found some Audioquest ones but I think there should be others that offer a better value.

Using a good optical cable (e.g. from Sys Concept or from Lifatec) I have found the Mojo sounds significantly better than either Coax or USB.

Now, using a cheap, long, plastic fiber things were very different, but as soon as you switch to a decent quality cable then optical should beat out the USB quite handily.  Mojo seems quite sensitive to noise via USB, even using very high-spec cables.

I believe Rob has posted in this thread that his preferred interface for Mojo is optical.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #18,392 of 42,765

Using a good optical cable (e.g. from Sys Concept or from Lifatec) I have found the Mojo sounds significantly better than either Coax or USB.

Now, using a cheap, long, plastic fiber things were very different, but as soon as you switch to a decent quality cable then optical should beat out the USB quite handily.  Mojo seems quite sensitive to noise via USB, even using very high-spec cables.

I believe Rob has posted in this thread that his preferred interface for Mojo is optical.

You have cables from both companies? I like the one from Lifeatec. Which do you think is better?

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #18,393 of 42,765
  You have cables from both companies? I like the one from Lifeatec. Which do you think is better?

I use the Sys Concept cables with the Mojo and my AK120, since they make an excellent form-fit short cable for that (I acutally have two, for different orientations of the AK120).

From my Mac to my Yggdrasil I ran a glass Lifatec cable, which I thought was excellent (though now I have the Yggdrasil driven from an Auralic Aries via AES/EBU XLR).

If you're using it from your PC in a fixed location I'd go with the glass Lifatec one.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #18,394 of 42,765
Hi everybody. I was just thinking of using the dac of Mojo through pc and connect it to Yamaha HS7 active studio monitors (which have their amplifiers inside).

Can I do that..?

In the situation of a "no-go" my other alternative would be to buy an Odac and connect it to Yamaha's through (most probably) rca jacks.

pc -> mojo dac -> yamaha hs7..?

pc -> odac -> yamaha hs7..?

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #18,395 of 42,765
Hi everybody. I was just thinking of using the dac of Mojo through pc and connect it to Yamaha HS7 active studio monitors (which have their amplifiers inside).

Can I do that..?

In the situation of a "no-go" my other alternative would be to buy an Odac and connect it to Yamaha's through (most probably) rca jacks.

pc -> mojo dac -> yamaha hs7..?

pc -> odac -> yamaha hs7..?

Yeah. Mojo would connect using the line out to rca.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #18,397 of 42,765
  Has anyone here compared Optical vs Usb on the Mojo? Iv'e been experimenting with different Optical cables but I still can't get it to sound as good as my phone with the otg cable. I first used an amazon basics cable and disliked the sound immediately. It sounded very dull and lifeless. 

The second cable I tried was a Belkin one and that one improved the transparency and overall SQ but still didn't sound as good as the cable from my phone. 
My gaming computer is quite noisy so by using Optical I pretty much bypass all the noise and RF issues associated with usb audio.
Also, is the Mojo immune to source jitter like Dave?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Optical cable? I found some Audioquest ones but I think there should be others that offer a better value.

Yes Mojo has the same USB as Dave - but with Dave it is glavanically isolated, so RF noise and signal correlated currents from the source can't upset Dave at all. I can't do this with Mojo as it draws too much power from the device connected to the USB - but the upside is that mobile sources create much less noise as they are power efficient and there is no ground loops either due to battery operation.

So Mojo like Dave has solved the jitter problem via USB, as the timing for the data comes from Mojo not the source.

Rob

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #18,398 of 42,765
One thing I've noticed about the Mojo is that when it's charging it can hiss a bit - especially when it's in the final trickle charge. This is normal and I understand that, but it does kick out quite a bit of EMI when it's in this stage as my active monitors also hiss very audibly when it's doing this - unplug the charging cable from the Mojo and they stop hissing. After the Mojo has finished charging the interference stops. The outputs from the Mojo remain absolutely 100% clean regardless of charging situation.

OK, I'll admit that the Mojo is stacked on top of my audio interface, which is the pre-amp for the monitors, so that may well be the reason, but the audio interface is cased in steel, and the connections to my monitors are balanced.

It's no big deal as normally when I'm using the monitors the Mojo is off and unplugged, but if any of you are charging your Mojo in the near vicinity of other audio equipment you might experience a little interference.

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #18,399 of 42,765
One thing I've noticed about the Mojo is that when it's charging it can hiss a bit - especially when it's in the final trickle charge. This is normal and I understand that, but it does kick out quite a bit of EMI when it's in this stage as my active monitors also hiss very audibly when it's doing this - unplug the charging cable from the Mojo and they stop hissing. After the Mojo has finished charging the interference stops. The outputs from the Mojo remain absolutely 100% clean regardless of charging situation.

OK, I'll admit that the Mojo is stacked on top of my audio interface, which is the pre-amp for the monitors, so that may well be the reason, but the audio interface is cased in steel, and the connections to my monitors are balanced.

It's no big deal as normally when I'm using the monitors the Mojo is off and unplugged, but if any of you are charging your Mojo in the near vicinity of other audio equipment you might experience a little interference.

My Mojo also hisses a  bit in the final trickle charge phases whatever 2A charger I am using. It usually length for around 10 minutes before the charge ends. I also perceive it as normal and it has been explained by Rob (Cf.post #3).
But during that hissing status I never noticed interferences to other equipment.

Actually,my DAC is staying right under my HS7 active monitors,in between isoacoustic monitor stands, 24h/24h plugged to AC charger.
Luckily, I never noticed any interference but I do agree with you that in some situations you might experience them.

Since Mojo has not been designed purposely for desktop usage I am living with it. As for a desktop utilisation the benefits are greater than the few drawbacks:

° No USB galvanic isolation ( small RF noise with some desktops, Rob already provide the reason of such implementation cf. post #3)
 ° Not possible to switch inputs USB/TOSLINK/Coaxial by use of key combination (for next upgrade if any
wink_face.gif
)

Anyhow, I like Mojo so much that I am considering buying a second one for portabilty.
In one of your previous posts you were questionning the benefits of Mojo in a nomad usage vs smartphones or other appliances due to Signal to ambiant Noise Ratio. Again I agree with you but, even though you still may appreciate the instruments separation it brings compare to others.
Personnaly I need to commute for couple of hours in Trains & Undergrounds and rarely used it in Trains only but I really appreciate to use Mojo at my office or even anywhere ouside in a quiet place.
Regards.
wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #18,400 of 42,765
I put my Mojo to charge and I step away to do ither things. When Im finished I will view from a distance if the Mojo charging has completed. So I have no idea of a hiss or when the hiss even starts or ends. OCD ?

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #18,401 of 42,765
Yes Mojo has the same USB as Dave - but with Dave it is glavanically isolated, so RF noise and signal correlated currents from the source can't upset Dave at all. I can't do this with Mojo as it draws too much power from the device connected to the USB - but the upside is that mobile sources create much less noise as they are power efficient and there is no ground loops either due to battery operation.

So Mojo like Dave has solved the jitter problem via USB, as the timing for the data comes from Mojo not the source.

Rob

I bought the Intona USB Isolator to achieve galvanic isolation recently, but I have yet to test it with Mojo. (Currently using it for the desktop Geek Pulse Xfi.) But I should test it tonight to get a sense of the feature.

Who knows, maybe it will sound as good as the Dave! Haha!

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #18,402 of 42,765
I bought the Intona USB Isolator to achieve galvanic isolation recently, but I have yet to test it with Mojo. (Currently using it for the desktop Geek Pulse Xfi.) But I should test it tonight to get a sense of the feature.

Hi @taz23,

I don't want to destroy your dreams or expectations, but I have the feeling that you will get closer to Dave let's say one or two steps out of the 1000 steps remaining
wink_face.gif

Kidding and teasing...but interested in your findings with Intona.
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #18,403 of 42,765

Please let us know your impressions :)

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #18,404 of 42,765
It was a while ago (and how many pages before) but I bought an AK100 to use as a transport for the Mojo, but in the end using Onkyo HF Player on my phone sounded vastly better. The AK100 for some reason simply isn't a good transport, even with a good optical cable. I have no idea why to be honest.

Jun 3, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #18,405 of 42,765
It was a while ago (and how many pages before) but I bought an AK100 to use as a transport for the Mojo, but in the end using Onkyo HF Player on my phone sounded vastly better. The AK100 for some reason simply isn't a good transport, even with a good optical cable. I have no idea why to be honest.
Yeah, my first player with the Mojo was the AK100II, 120II and then the X3. The X3 sounded similar to the AKs but then I tried tablet then a phone and I was sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back