Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #18,376 of 42,765
To be clear, it is mojo to headphones vs. Dac-19 to Crimson to headphones where I think I notice a bit more grain from the mojo. I doubt it will be there mojo to Crimson to headphones.

It's funny, we have the exact same stup right now (long term Crimson loaner - I love the Crimson).

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #18,379 of 42,765
I have been using the Onkyo player for a while. After trying several others I kept migrating back to it because it's easy to use and sound great.  I wish it had a parametric equalizer but other than that, it's pretty complete.  

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #18,380 of 42,765
I have been using the Onkyo player for a while. After trying several others I kept migrating back to it because it's easy to use and sound great.  I wish it has a parametric equalizer but other than that, it's pretty complete.  
N7 and Jetaudio are nice.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #18,381 of 42,765
Please forgive me for quoting myself from another thread, but I thought this could be worth to read in Mojo thread too.
"I tried X00s straight from my laptop, skipping Mojo, and I was more than surprised. It was a horrible experience. Pale, "tin-like" sound, loosing all the details and well separated, nice bass. Lost dynamics, power, space. Absolute freaking surprise.
 (I honestly do not want to advertise Mojo, however this peace of audio equipment was my best spent money ever.)"

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #18,382 of 42,765
Please forgive me for quoting myself from another thread, but I thought this could be worth to read in Mojo thread too.

"I tried X00s straight from my laptop, skipping Mojo, and I was more than surprised. It was a horrible experience. Pale, "tin-like" sound, loosing all the details and well separated, nice bass. Lost dynamics, power, space. Absolute freaking surprise.

(I honestly do not want to advertise Mojo, however this peace of audio equipment was my best spent money ever.)"
any amp will sound better than from a Laptop especially if you going to use a Headphone. But the Mojo is a great dac and a good amp.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #18,384 of 42,765
@noobandroid

For sake of clarity,Chord Mojo specifies, in its user manual, that DSD64 with DoP is possible for optical TOSLINK.
Now I can't tell if it works or not since I am not using DSD at all.
Regarding Optical transmission I will add that it:
- eliminates 100% external noises (out of computer,RF/IEM/etc...) by transport structure (optical fiber)
- lowers down computer's internal noises (Power Bus, RF,...) more or less significantly depending on implementation.
Therefore as mentionned by x RELIC x optical output is less noisy vs USB. Cheers 

I understand that optical circumvents the issue of RF noise etc. over USB.

But I think for optical and coaxial into Mojo, the clock of the source determines the timing (read jitter) while the clock in Mojo determines the timing when using USB. And thus it seems to me that USB is a better option to make the best of the internal architecture of Mojo.

But I may be wrong...

Jun 2, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #18,385 of 42,765
I understand that optical circumvents the issue of RF noise etc. over USB.

But I think for optical and coaxial into Mojo, the clock of the source determines the timing (read jitter) while the clock in Mojo determines the timing when using USB. And thus it seems to me that USB is a better option to make the best of the internal architecture of Mojo.

But I may be wrong...

As far as I have understood myself you are right if you consider only jitter from clock issues. But you have other jitter contributions brought by Noises modulating with the signal, impedance mismatches and so on.
According to Rob,using buffering and proprietary implementation Mojo is having low jitter with coaxial & optical (SPDIF).
This is only my view. Glad if other can correct or bring further details. Cheers

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #18,386 of 42,765
Ive tried to search regarding differences between USB X Coax X Optical...
Ever since I started using Mojo was by its USB input and the lack of info on upper treble really annoyed me. 
Today I found an old SPDIF cable that I used to rip my MD´s and decided to give a try on mojo.. why not? To my surprise the upper treble was in the right spot, like magic. 

Why is it possible to have a difference like that, even using a mac mini as SPDIF source?

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #18,387 of 42,765
  Ive tried to search regarding differences between USB X Coax X Optical...
Ever since I started using Mojo was by its USB input and the lack of info on upper treble really annoyed me. 
Today I found an old SPDIF cable that I used to rip my MD´s and decided to give a try on mojo.. why not? To my surprise the upper treble was in the right spot, like magic. 

Why is it possible to have a difference like that, even using a mac mini as SPDIF source?

One might say... Cables LOL xD

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #18,388 of 42,765
Jun 2, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #18,389 of 42,765
Has anyone here compared Optical vs Usb on the Mojo? Iv'e been experimenting with different Optical cables but I still can't get it to sound as good as my phone with the otg cable. I first used an amazon basics cable and disliked the sound immediately. It sounded very dull and lifeless. 

The second cable I tried was a Belkin one and that one improved the transparency and overall SQ but still didn't sound as good as the cable from my phone. 
My gaming computer is quite noisy so by using Optical I pretty much bypass all the noise and RF issues associated with usb audio.
Also, is the Mojo immune to source jitter like Dave?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Optical cable? I found some Audioquest ones but I think there should be others that offer a better value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back