Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 15, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #5,131 of 42,765
Hello:   I finally figured out what my problem was with the ONKYO player and the SD card on the NOTE 4. I had to go to settings and music folders and i found where the SD CARD was unchecked. I checked that box and now it reads everything on the SD CARD! Yeahhhhh now i can go pick up my MOJO!!

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #5,132 of 42,765
  Hello:   I finally figured out what my problem was with the ONKYO player and the SD card on the NOTE 4. I had to go to settings and music folders and i found where the SD CARD was unchecked. I checked that box and now it reads everything on the SD CARD! Yeahhhhh now i can go pick up my MOJO!!

Great to hear and excellent info for others to learn from.  Enjoy the new Mojo!!

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #5,133 of 42,765
I have been playing around with my Mojo and 846 - now I have a hiss to end all hisses, but it is only in specific circumstances.  

This began last night when I switched to my Angies from my V6-Stage. It wasn't obvious when I used my V6-Stage (it was very faint) but with my AK100MK2 using a syscom optical cable, I got an electronic hum - not really a hissing sound, but a hard core hum. I just tried it with my SE846 and I get the same mega-hum I got with my Angie. Now get this - the hum goes away 99% when I switch inputs (from optical to USB) on both the 846 & Angie. 

So now I think it is the Optical cable - so I take it off and turn on the Mojo with no input, but with a headphone attached - it is the same loud hum I hear with the optic cable. If I plug in the USB, the hum disappears. Angie & 846 are silent via USB.

This is weird.... 

I cannot listen to my AK100 + Mojo with my Angie or SE846 - the hum is ever-present even for my old ears....

EDIT: I just took the 1st gen AK100 off my Glove A1 to see if it behaved the same - and it did - no difference. The hum remains. I think I will check out some of my other IEMs to see if there is a pattern there since it isn't as noticeable with the V6-Stage (but is with Angie & 846)

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #5,135 of 42,765
  K3003's sound super

So what's everyone's favorite IEM to use with the Mojo. I'm thinking of upgrading my IEMs.

I have Sennheiser IE800, Klipsch X11i Customs, Flare Audio Pro R2 Titanium Customs,  Sony XBA4ip, ACS Encore Studio Customs, Westone UM2 Customs - I've too many and I know I shall get more in time to come. I can't help myself. As for which is the best IEM. Who knows? I need to spend months listening to just what I've got to tell you which one I like most. Which is the best for Value for Money or sound quality or bass or soundstage or detail will take a long time to determine even on my collection. They all sound great!

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #5,136 of 42,765
I would agree, at the end of the day it's what you want out of your equipment. I want to be able to feel the music rather than listen to the equipment. As an aside, however, I do a lot of amature music recording using field recorder, so get to hear the original performance. I would say the combo of the Mojo and Ray Samuels gets much closer than the Mojo by itself. In fact I've been do impressed with this combo I'm selling my Naim DAC V1 and replacing it with a Naim pre-amp and Chord DAC (either another Mojo or the Quote 2).

I'll go further, I find the Mojo, with headphones connected directly to be fatiguing - just my opinion.

My take on all this is that Chord are good at the digital side of audio reproduction and companies like Naim are good at the analogue side (ie amplification). Quite similar to how it was in the 80's when Naim where the go-to amp manufacturer and Linn was the go-to source. Now the go-to source is IMHO Chord.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #5,137 of 42,765
  I would either use the silicon case on the DX80 so you don't have two metal surfaces together, not for fear of scratching but so it doesn't slip around and then use some bands. The Mojo is about half the size of the DX80 but the coax or optical meet up well as coax and optical on the DX80 are the same port, which is a big convenience. I also have the AK100, which works well but the DX80 sounds much better as a dap so I would prefer to have a good sounding stand alone dap and the mojo for a combination

The coaxial and the optical is the same port? That's interesting. I shall go and have a demo today with my Mojo.

And by adding a standard 3.5mm Interconnect to the supplied coaxial is perfectly acceptable too?

Thanks 

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5,138 of 42,765

I would agree, at the end of the day it's what you want out of your equipment. I want to be able to feel the music rather than listen to the equipment. As an aside, however, I do a lot of amature music recording using field recorder, so get to hear the original performance. I would say the combo of the Mojo and Ray Samuels gets much closer than the Mojo by itself. In fact I've been do impressed with this combo I'm selling my Naim DAC V1 and replacing it with a Naim pre-amp and Chord DAC (either another Mojo or the Quote 2).

I'll go further, I find the Mojo, with headphones connected directly to be fatiguing - just my opinion.

My take on all this is that Chord are good at the digital side of audio reproduction and companies like Naim are good at the analogue side (ie amplification). Quite similar to how it was in the 80's when Naim where the go-to amp manufacturer and Linn was the go-to source. Now the go-to source is IMHO Chord.

Apparently you're searching for easy explanations. Your last paragraph is such an attempt – perfectly unsubstantiated, but with the potential to create a new myth in the worst case.

Yes, the direct connection with its relative unforgivingness may lead to a fatiguing sound. But you can just as well fault your headphone (the weakest link in your chain) or a bad synergy with the Mojo's tonal balance and/or your ears.

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #5,140 of 42,765
My take on this Mojo naked vs. Mojo + amp according to my own experience is, if you want to add colouration to the sound and are willing to sacrifice a bit of transparency, adding an amp will work, but of course it also depends on what amp and the portability consideration. The Mojo alone is not for a lack of power, but the honest representation of the music and no more no less. Using photography as an analogy, listening to the Mojo naked is like putting the sharpest lens in front of a high resolution digital camera. By adding an amp to the Mojo, it is like screwing a filter in front of the lens - in any case you are putting an extra layer of glass on top, you maybe adding an effect, but a bit of light is lost, and it will always take away some sharpness.

In my case I use both the Shure SE846 and Beyer T5p with the Mojo. The SE846 has great synergy with the Mojo alone. I don't feel I need to tweak it further by adding an amp, plus the package is portable so it defeats the purpose. OTOH I use the T5p at home or in the office, and the T5p could sound a bit lean and neutral. I found that by adding an amp to the Mojo, it will improve on the sonics by adding some body to the bottom end, but it will also take away the vivid 3D soundstage and crispness - exactly how an amp will make it more round, but losing that extra bite and sharpness. The picture now looks darker (i.e. not as bright), but it also looks like the "filter" is a bit dirty or something and some fine details are lost. It's give and take and I haven't decided which way I like more. Maybe the solution is to get rid of the T5p (T1 2nd gen anyone?) but I need closed phones for noise isolation...

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #5,142 of 42,765
jamato8, not to sound obsequious, is who I look to as the portable amplifier expert here at Head-Fi. His biography is totally understated, to my knowledge he was the thread starter on all Ray Samuels portable amps and probably others going back years. Before I bought the RSA Lightning, RSA Intruder and (just a few weeks ago) the Chord Mojo, I private messaged him first as I trust his opinion far more than most.

Someone posted on this thread whether I had double amped the Mojo with the Intruder to see what it added, if anything. My results from both the RSA Lightning and Intruder were exactly the same as John's in that I felt the sound lost something through the chain. This is in no way to taken as a criticism of Ray Samuels amps as I still believe the Intruder to be one of the best portable amps I have ever listened to.

you'll never get better sound through adding extra amp. Just like you'll never get better sound through a recorded music compared to hearing it live in person. Another source added (whatever it may be) is another degration. You'll never get better picture through a plasma, oled, or ips, as seeing it live. all the same.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #5,143 of 42,765

Glad you got it sorted. I was panicking because I was thinking of getting a phone. I was following your post 5083 and hoping it was going to get fixed.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #5,144 of 42,765

Glad you got it sorted. I was panicking because I was thinking of getting a phone. I was following your post 5083 and hoping it was going to get fixed.

I have two Note 4s, one I gave to my partner when her phone got thrown down stairs by toddlers, and the second I got myself. Neither have any issues with the Mojo, and both were running with music only on the SD card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back