Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 15, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #5,103 of 42,765
More impression update:

Calyx M vs Mojo:
After a long period of absence from listening to calyx M (roughly about amonth) I took out the calyx M from its storage case. Last time when I put it in the case it was fully charge, now it was down to 20-30% so it conforms for me that calyx M does discharge its battery over time. However not a problem I have a dedicated external battery power for it.
I have lately got the Mojo and initially I thought they both sound the same albeit Mojo sounding better in terms of producing a more layering and overall presentation. A while passed and I am more familiar with Mojo. I can say with a more confidence that I was wrong, calyx M is in no way inferior to Mojo. Mojo performance varies with different digital input, for its size Mojo is a beast of a device when it comes to providing raw power however I am an IEM user and calyx M is able to drive my IEM just fine. 
I think Mojo sounds too thick for its own good, it has amazing layering but end of the day small soundstage paired with thick layered sound does not provide a fun listen.

HUGO is still the benchmark for me when it comes to portability and reference performance. Mojo loves to be paired with headphone, infact it is with headphone that I had it sounding best. Something like the AKG K812 to me compensates for the thick sound of Mojo and improves on the soundstage. AKG k812 and headphone of such nature arent quiet portable and to me that defeats the purpose.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #5,104 of 42,765
Although when I read that many Mojo owners use it with an extra amp (so you got a dap + Mojo + amp stack) then I wonder: where's the portable benefit after all
confused.gif

The real portable benefit will come when Chord undertakes a joint venture with a DAP manufacturer...

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #5,105 of 42,765
Hi guys, how does chord mojo compare to cypherlabs picollo dac in terms of sound quality? any input will be much appreciated.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #5,106 of 42,765

For those who still don't know: As with the Hugo, you have to use the headphone output to feed external amps – hence with a signal considered not good enough on its own. That doesn't make sense, particularly when the Mojo's headphone output is more than strong enough for the headphones used – which it is in most cases except for the few with extremely low sensitivity. Underlined by extremely low harmonic-distortion figures according to the specs and the developer, Rob Watts, whose opinion about external amps for the Hugo can be read here and here. And since Hugo and Mojo share virtually the same design...

A systematic comparision with all my amps and the direct connection to the Hugo (and lately the «best», most accurate and neutral amp I know – the Corda Symphony – with the Mojo) showed that Hugo and Mojo sound best without additional amplification: more accurate, more transparent, faster, more detailed. I've paid special attention to very low bass notes – and there both DACs/amps are every bit as powerful as the external amp, moreover they show better control. One thing that also struck me is the more forgiving nature of the amps: all of them sound a bit rounder and smoother – less focussed –, which goes hand in hand with a sense of greater space and an illusion of increased «clarity». Tested with HiFiMan HE1000, Sennheiser HD 800 and Shure SE846, among others.

Like many tube amps also solid-state amps produce harmonic distortion that sounds pleasing to the ears. It's easy to mix that up with higher sound quality, the more so as this trait contributes to an icreased forgivingness toward tonal imbalances and resonances. So if you prefer a more puristic approach and are too lazy to carry an extra amp with you, there's a convenient tool for getting your sound where you want it to be if it's not quite there yet: an equalizer – like the one that's possibly built into your audio player. That way you're indepenent of the sonic synergy an amp may create between the Mojo and your head-/earphone after all, with above-mentioned disadvantages from a technical perspective.

I found the reverse.  I'm using Sennheiser HD-25 1 II: directly out of the Mojo the sound seems present and correct, but when used with a Ray Samuels SR-71a, the sound goes to a whole new level.  The sound becomes rock solid and more like listening to musicians playing instruments; without the Ray Samuels the sound seem to collapse in on itself and become more hi-fi (ie impressive noises but less music).  To my ears, the extra amplification is not adding tonal euphony but is instead making the most of the DAC.

I have a theory that it's to do with the power supply: when using headphones more current is drawn and in a varying manner, ie it varies with the music.  This varying of current affects (I think modulates) the power supply voltage which affects the DAC, amplification and ultimately the sound. By connecting directly to an amp, there is less current drawn and no variation.  This might also explain why companies such as Naim claim improvements to their amps' sound quality when external power supplies are added.  Just my 2CW.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #5,107 of 42,765
  More impression update:

Calyx M vs Mojo:
After a long period of absence from listening to calyx M (roughly about amonth) I took out the calyx M from its storage case. Last time when I put it in the case it was fully charge, now it was down to 20-30% so it conforms for me that calyx M does discharge its battery over time. However not a problem I have a dedicated external battery power for it.
I have lately got the Mojo and initially I thought they both sound the same albeit Mojo sounding better in terms of producing a more layering and overall presentation. A while passed and I am more familiar with Mojo. I can say with a more confidence that I was wrong, calyx M is in no way inferior to Mojo. Mojo performance varies with different digital input, for its size Mojo is a beast of a device when it comes to providing raw power however I am an IEM user and calyx M is able to drive my IEM just fine. 
I think Mojo sounds too thick for its own good, it has amazing layering but end of the day small soundstage paired with thick layered sound does not provide a fun listen.

HUGO is still the benchmark for me when it comes to portability and reference performance. Mojo loves to be paired with headphone, infact it is with headphone that I had it sounding best. Something like the AKG K812 to me compensates for the thick sound of Mojo and improves on the soundstage. AKG k812 and headphone of such nature arent quiet portable and to me that defeats the purpose.

I also have a high regard for the Caylx...other than battery life. I think the Mojo is kind of redundant with such a fine

player! I remember it's been about a year now that the Caylx was released and people were complaining of it's size.

How one year changes things....when now there are so many large daps and phones on the market. I also think

the cost of 899.00 us dollars is also now a bit of a bargain compared to the prices of the newest entrys. I would rather

walk around with a single Calyx than a phone strapped to a Mojo!!! And I also enjoy iems most of the time...especially

the Final Audio kind!

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,108 of 42,765
  I found the reverse.  I'm using Sennheiser HD-25 1 II: directly out of the Mojo the sound seems present and correct, but when used with a Ray Samuels SR-71a, the sound goes to a whole new level.  The sound becomes rock solid and more like listening to musicians playing instruments; without the Ray Samuels the sound seem to collapse in on itself and become more hi-fi (ie impressive noises but less music).  To my ears, the extra amplification is not adding tonal euphony but is instead making the most of the DAC.

I have a theory that it's to do with the power supply: when using headphones more current is drawn and in a varying manner, ie it varies with the music.  This varying of current affects (I think modulates) the power supply voltage which affects the DAC, amplification and ultimately the sound. By connecting directly to an amp, there is less current drawn and no variation.  This might also explain why companies such as Naim claim improvements to their amps' sound quality when external power supplies are added.  Just my 2CW.

I do not buy this all. You need to bear in mind several facts:

1. The battery is capable of delivering 3A of current, and has very low impedance.
2. Mojo amplifier has a very high power supply rejection ratio.
3. The output is pure class A at 5v RMS into 300 ohm.
4. Reducing the output load only starts to increase distortion with 33 ohms - at this level it is very much lower than other headphone amps. The HD25 is a very easy 70 ohms.
5. Mojo is designed to drive loudspeakers. You will be amazed hearing it fill the room with beautiful sound using efficient 8 ohm horn loudspeakers.

Some people like the sound of more distortion - 2nd harmonic fattens the sound making everything sound phat, soft and rounded. But its not natural, nor do I find it musical, as everything sounds phat. I want soft sounds to sound soft, and sharp sounds to sound sharp - not everything to have a soft sheen on things all the time.

I can give you another example. I just had an email today from a very experienced dealer that asked me this question:

"Chord Mojo should have single amplification which drive to both headphone output, but if I'm using any headphones (HD800 for example, very heavy to drive) to put on headphone output 1 and I connect another headphone to headphone output 2 (Beyer T1 for example), I hear no differences on sound quality. Normally if one amplification section used to drive 2 headphones output, then once we connect the second headphone will make overall sound quality degradation (as the case of Beyerdynamic A20 amp, Grace Design M903, etc). What is the logical explanation of this? As it seems Mojo has 2 separate amplification sections which drive independently for each headphone output."

Of course Mojo does not have two amplification stages. It can drive two headphones with ease because it has exceptional low output impedance, and it has exceptional current linearity. So loading it with more headphones has no effect, unlike other headphone amplifiers.

Indeed, when I initially started designing Hugo I was shocked how poor from a measurement point of view headphone amps were. Poor output impedance, huge levels of distortion, and poor current linearity seem to be typical. And these things matter, if your goal is transparency and musicality. 

Rob

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #5,109 of 42,765
I have tried the Mojo with some very fine amplifiers. The Zotl micro, a full sized desktop amp, with the best sound I have heard from a desktop amp, to my surprise, the sound is degraded to a slight degree. I do not feel this is the fault of either but to me, it does show that the best sound you will get, IMO, is directly out of the Mojo. I have what I also consider the best portable amplifiers and again, the Mojo is best driving headphones without any assistance. This is from the HE1000, Pioneer MS 1, Fostex HD900, Ultrasone ED9 and so on. The Mojo just does it right. I will never tell anyone they aren't hearing what they say they are and everyone should do what makes them happy and brings them to the music but for me, this is what I have found:

Mojo Solo. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #5,111 of 42,765
Nice visual size comparison

That is really amazing and show how skilled those Chord engineers are; reducing sizes but keeping high sq, that's pretty much the Holy Grail of every DAC manufacturers. What strikes me the most is the beauty they succeeded in keeping as they moved from size to size, to my taste the Hugo TT being the nicer looking kid on the block.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5,112 of 42,765
Any one tried the DX 80 as transport with Mojo?

Yes, either the coax or optical works great. You can get a low profile on either and now that the FW has been updated, have a very good source from the DX80. The sound is very clean coming from the DX80. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #5,114 of 42,765
I have tried the Mojo with some very fine amplifiers. The Zotl micro, a full sized desktop amp, with the best sound I have heard from a desktop amp, to my surprise, the sound is degraded to a slight degree. I do not feel this is the fault of either but to me, it does show that the best sound you will get, IMO, is directly out of the Mojo. I have what I also consider the best portable amplifiers and again, the Mojo is best driving headphones without any assistance. This is from the HE1000, Pioneer MS 1, Fostex HD900, Ultrasone ED9 and so on. The Mojo just does it right. I will never tell anyone they aren't hearing what they say they are and everyone should do what makes them happy and brings them to the music but for me, this is what I have found:

Mojo Solo. 

jamato8, not to sound obsequious, is who I look to as the portable amplifier expert here at Head-Fi. His biography is totally understated, to my knowledge he was the thread starter on all Ray Samuels portable amps and probably others going back years. Before I bought the RSA Lightning, RSA Intruder and (just a few weeks ago) the Chord Mojo, I private messaged him first as I trust his opinion far more than most.

Someone posted on this thread whether I had double amped the Mojo with the Intruder to see what it added, if anything. My results from both the RSA Lightning and Intruder were exactly the same as John's in that I felt the sound lost something through the chain. This is in no way to taken as a criticism of Ray Samuels amps as I still believe the Intruder to be one of the best portable amps I have ever listened to.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #5,115 of 42,765

Mojo Solo. 

I would agree, at the end of the day it's what you want out of your equipment. I want to be able to feel the music rather than listen to the equipment. As an aside, however, I do a lot of amature music recording using field recorder, so get to hear the original performance. I would say the combo of the Mojo and Ray Samuels gets much closer than the Mojo by itself. In fact I've been do impressed with this combo I'm selling my Naim DAC V1 and replacing it with a Naim pre-amp and Chord DAC (either another Mojo or the Quote 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back