Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 12, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #33,736 of 42,765
For USB cables, with or without a Jitterbug (I use 2 - one on USB, one just plugged into PC), ferrite clip on cores like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E5ALVWQ

put on the USB cable will help to clean up the RF noise that causes problems. Put 4 or more on the USB cable near the Mojo - there's no way to use too many :beerchug:

Obviously this is for desktop use, prolly a bit awkward when you're on the go.

You should choose cores that are designed to fit tightly on your USB cable. 3mm is a common size for USB cables, but find out the size of your own cable before choosing. They're so cheap, it's an experiment everyone who uses USB should try.

Now playing: Radiohead - National Anthem

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #33,738 of 42,765
There won't be any headaches that occur due to RFI and EMI polluting the source,

Rather than any, I prefer to say in principle less headaches since RFI/EMI can also enter Mojo/Poly through other used or unused Ins & Outs (except optical).
It will mainly depends on Poly's efficiency to deal with AC and internal EMI issues.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #33,739 of 42,765
Do people really think we can hear tiny, measureable levels of RFI/EMI over top of music? Have to be pretty poorly done designs to leave audible levels of either I would suggest.

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #33,740 of 42,765
Do people really think we can hear tiny, measureable levels of RFI/EMI over top of music? Have to be pretty poorly done designs to leave audible levels of either I would suggest.
Your suggestion is wrong.
@Rob Watts has posted many times on the impact that even very low levels of electrical noise has on small signals, resulting in diminished ability to distinguish the start and end of notes. Search the chord threads, or the @Watts On thread to learn more.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #33,741 of 42,765
Your suggestion is wrong.
@Rob Watts has posted many times on the impact that even very low levels of electrical noise has on small signals, resulting in diminished ability to distinguish the start and end of notes. Search the chord threads, or the @Watts On thread to learn more.
People have demonstrated they can hear this reliably? Not to get all sound science forum here, but may I ask if you can hear this noise over top of music, and if so how have you been able to test that out? There is a difference between measureable/theoretical and audible. I conducted a 7 subject, multiple trial per subject, very well controlled experiment at a head-fi meet a number of years back and not one person could tell the difference between a 320mp3 and the lossless master it was made from. I just find it hard to believe that something as tiny as RFI/EMI are audible to you over top of the music. Anyway, I guess we shouldn't take this further as it will derail the thread which isn't my intention. Cheers and enjoy the music as we always say.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #33,742 of 42,765
People have demonstrated they can hear this reliably? Not to get all sound science forum here, but may I ask if you can hear this noise over top of music, and if so how have you been able to test that out? There is a difference between measureable/theoretical and audible. I conducted a 7 subject, multiple trial per subject, very well controlled experiment at a head-fi meet a number of years back and not one person could tell the difference between a 320mp3 and the lossless master it was made from. I just find it hard to believe that something as tiny as RFI/EMI are audible to you over top of the music. Anyway, I guess we shouldn't take this further as it will derail the thread which isn't my intention. Cheers and enjoy the music as we always say.

The basic concept is that it changes the way the music sounds rather than being obvious distortion on top of the music. It's one reason (of many) why countless audiophiles use all sorts of wacky products, including DACs, USB regenerators, network players, dedicated music servers, power supplies and conditioners, and so on. Check out the wealth of experiments on audiobacon.net for examples.

As for demonstrating they can hear it...very few even know how to conduct proper controlled tests, much less have the equipment to do so and document the results, so it's quite a bit to ask of the average person. Someday I would like to do such tests with high-end gear, but it's not a priority for me, as I listen with my ears and my primary goal is achieving higher levels of realism.

On that note, I think, in general, too much emphasis is placed on components aside from the transducers (headphones/speakers) despite the fact that they are the main determiner of the sound of your system. I (temporarily) downgraded from high-end DACs (including the Chord 2Qute) to a $30 DAC, yet am getting far better sound than before since I upgraded my speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #33,743 of 42,765
On that note, I think, in general, too much emphasis is placed on components aside from the transducers (headphones/speakers) despite the fact that they are the main determiner of the sound of your system. I (temporarily) downgraded from high-end DACs (including the Chord 2Qute) to a $30 DAC, yet am getting far better sound than before since I upgraded my speakers.
PM me mate and let me know if you really believe that normal levels of RFI/EMI as produced by the Mojo actually results in any possible detectable sound change. We'll do it by PM as the thread will get derailed otherwise.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #33,744 of 42,765
PM me mate and let me know if you really believe that normal levels of RFI/EMI as produced by the Mojo actually results in any possible detectable sound change. We'll do it by PM as the thread will get derailed otherwise.

I don't think a PM is necessary if I just share my own limited experience on this subject. When I used optical TOSLINK (which electrically isolates the DAC) rather than USB, the sound of the Mojo improved slightly. (Countless others, including Rob Watts himself, have experienced this.) I also got slight improvements with a Schiit Wyrd USB power isolator, software tweaks like Windows Server and AudiophileOptimizer (which were more obvious with a more resolving DAC), and a Raspberry Pi portable computer. Theory is great, but listening experience is what matters.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #33,745 of 42,765
I don't think a PM is necessary if I just share my own limited experience on this subject. When I used optical TOSLINK (which electrically isolates the DAC) rather than USB, the sound of the Mojo improved slightly. (Countless others, including Rob Watts himself, have experienced this.) I also got slight improvements with a Schiit Wyrd USB power isolator, software tweaks like Windows Server and AudiophileOptimizer (which were more obvious with a more resolving DAC), and a Raspberry Pi portable computer. Theory is great, but listening experience is what matters.
Last post as this really will get OT quickly. If the changes are slight how can you be sure you aren't imaging them? PM me so we don't pollute the thread. And actually conducting a well controlled listening experiment is easy, my 12 year old daughter could do it so actual testing is pretty darn possible.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #33,746 of 42,765
Last post as this really will get OT quickly. If the changes are slight how can you be sure you aren't imaging them? PM me so we don't pollute the thread.

Again, I'm not going to PM you, as this is entirely relevant. DACs only make a slight improvement too, relatively speaking. These are relative differences I'm talking about. When I say slight, I mean compared to the huge differences that headphones and speakers can make, but they were still obvious when I spent time comparing carefully. I could just as well call it a night and day difference (like with the software tweaks) and be referring to the same thing, but in a different context.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #33,747 of 42,765
Hi,
So After reading this massive thread I purchased a Mojo recived it yesterday to pair with my Pioneer XDP 100r,the sound is no doubt better but after about 5 tracks my pioneer crashes and I have to do a complete start up never happend before the Mojo any ideas ?

just been doing some more listening only happens on shuffle,not playing full album.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #33,748 of 42,765
Have two "mojo" devices showing up on windows 10 after update. No longer able to get foobar to work. Tried latest Mojo driver from Chord. Can not get the second device in the device manger labeled mojo to use any drivers. What is recommended now after latest windows update?

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #33,749 of 42,765
Again, I'm not going to PM you, as this is entirely relevant. DACs only make a slight improvement too, relatively speaking. These are relative differences I'm talking about. When I say slight, I mean compared to the huge differences that headphones and speakers can make, but they were still obvious when I spent time comparing carefully. I could just as well call it a night and day difference (like with the software tweaks) and be referring to the same thing, but in a different context.

No worries, cheers.

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #33,750 of 42,765
With all due respect, try to listen to music using a phone with your fav iem and try them with a good dac or on a dap with a good dac. You do hear a difference at least that was my experience using my s7 edge and the oppo ha2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back