Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #33,751 of 42,765
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #33,752 of 42,765
With all due respect, try to listen to music using a phone with your fav iem and try them with a good dac or on a dap with a good dac. You do hear a difference at least that was my experience using my s7 edge and the oppo ha2
Totally agree mate, but that level of technical difference isn't what we were discussing earlier, assuming you were addressing me. If not, my apology. Cheers.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #33,753 of 42,765
Hi Fi is strange. When we have the components in front of us and switch between them we are easily convinced that component A sounds far better than component B. Things get much more difficult if we are asked to distinguish between product A and product B in a blind test. My point of view is that if I think it sounds better, then that is good enough for me. If someone else thinks there is no difference, then I am fine with that too.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #33,754 of 42,765
Hi Fi is strange. When we have the components in front of us and switch between them we are easily convinced that component A sounds far better than component B. Things get much more difficult if we are asked to distinguish between product A and product B in a blind test. My point of view is that if I think it sounds better, then that is good enough for me. If someone else thinks there is no difference, then I am fine with that too.
Well obviously noone here knows whats best otherwise we would only have 1 thread with the best iem/headphone/source but to each their own so dont let anyone convince you otherwise. Thhere is however a minimum, if you told me that stock airpods or xiaomi pistons sound very good id say you should get something else. At work, im the audio geek i just spent 3k on audio gear this month (wife doesnt know obviously) and my colleagues keep telling im crazy for buying 1500usd iems but when i tell them to listen to their stock headphone and try my stuff they discover new music, separation, clarity etc then they wanna buy my iems :) so theres a strict minimum then from there to each their own preference

Btw when i do a blind test dor different iem and i cant tell the difference i stick with the cheapest of the 2 obviously even if the consensus is for the more expensive.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #33,755 of 42,765
mojo does 600 mw into 32 ohms. oppo pm1 is 32 ohms. pm1 has long term max input power 500mw. pulse max input power 2W. HA1 oppo amp goes to 2000mw and more into 32 ohms. if mojo supplies larger power of 600mw than long term rating power for oppo pm1 of 500mw how is this possible?

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #33,756 of 42,765
mojo does 600 mw into 32 ohms. oppo pm1 is 32 ohms. pm1 has long term max input power 500mw. pulse max input power 2W. HA1 oppo amp goes to 2000mw and more into 32 ohms. if mojo supplies larger power of 600mw than long term rating power for oppo pm1 of 500mw how is this possible?

You'll never use all of the max 600mW (full volume) from the Mojo with the PM-1 unless you don't favour your hearing. Likely you'll use in the ballpark of less than 1/4 of that for comfortable listening volumes (or even less). The 500mW spec from Oppo is what is safe for long term use for the headphone before risking damage to the headphone, which will be long after you go deaf. The 2W max for the Oppo is likely for immediate damage threshold to the headphone. Max specs are deceiving in the sense that they really have no bearing on the actual power output from a device at reasonable listening levels.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #33,757 of 42,765
thanks relic another one cleared up. pm 1 arriving tomorrow. my mojo sounds great do you think it can be bettered by oppo ha1 with pm1? i know folk don't like it dac.

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #33,758 of 42,765
thanks relic another one cleared up. pm 1 arriving tomorrow. my mojo sounds great do you think it can be bettered by oppo ha1 with pm1? i know folk don't like it dac.

Do I think so? Nope, not technically.

'Better' comes down to 2 things, measurements and preference. Others really like the HA-2 but I haven't heard it and I have zero interest in it.

Edit: Oops, misread your post, I thought you were comparing portable devices. I actually preferred the Mojo to the HA-1 before I sold the HA-1 but I never tried it with the PM-1 either. And yes, the Mojo still measures better than the HA-1.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #33,760 of 42,765
A computer is a computer, it is the user that matters not the OS, well, not that much anyway. Mac is just another tool, get the same stuff done in a slightly different way.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #33,762 of 42,765
I was joking. But, a dedicated streamer wouldn't be bad, either, like the Elac Doscovery or Antipodes.
Oops, my bad, sorry mate. I hate to admit it, but I have known way too many Mac snobs who can get a little insufferable and I think read into your comment when I shouldn't have. My apology. Slinks away and wipes the egg from his face.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #33,763 of 42,765

I used to have a HA-1 and now I have a Mojo. The HA-1 is extremely well made, designed and great to look at. To my taste it is light years ahead of Chord in terms of form and function. (The Mojo beats it in terms of portability though of course.) However, compared to the Mojo the HA-1 can sound a bit bright, fatiguing and there is a hint of something you could call a digital haze. The Mojo sounds more relaxing and I guess analog. Given that the Mojo costs less than the HA-1 and sounds better I can live with it, at least while I wait for something like the 3qute.

Enjoy your Mojo, it is lovely to listen to

"if mojo supplies larger power of 600mw than long term rating power for oppo pm1 of 500mw how is this possible?"
The power a device can supply and the long term rated power of a headphone are two very different things. You will never be listening at anything near those levels anyway. The PM-1 produces 102 dB in 1 mW. Yes, 1mW for 102dB. You are at a risk of permanently damaging your hearing if you listen for more than 10 minutes at that level.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/PermissibleExposureTime.htm

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #33,765 of 42,765
People have demonstrated they can hear this reliably? Not to get all sound science forum here, but may I ask if you can hear this noise over top of music, and if so how have you been able to test that out? There is a difference between measureable/theoretical and audible. I conducted a 7 subject, multiple trial per subject, very well controlled experiment at a head-fi meet a number of years back and not one person could tell the difference between a 320mp3 and the lossless master it was made from. I just find it hard to believe that something as tiny as RFI/EMI are audible to you over top of the music. Anyway, I guess we shouldn't take this further as it will derail the thread which isn't my intention. Cheers and enjoy the music as we always say.

Some years back a client purchased some patented IP from me and I was under contract to design new devices using this technology, and to embed the IP into the company. It was a large semiconductor company, and they had some extremely clever and talented engineers. Unfortunately, when explaining details of the IP, it often came down to very lively discussions as to why it was necessary to have performance levels that were way beyond the ear's threshold of audibility. I on the other hand, have consistently heard errors that are much smaller than the ear's ability to detect from the threshold of audibility POV, and the reason these small errors are audible is down to the brain's processing of the data from the ear, and the threshold of audibility tests do not cover the brain's processing.

Anyway, I was getting fed up with the arguments, as the engineers would not accept that these levels were important. So I set up a single blind listening test with one of their non-audiophile engineers at my home. Basically I was comparing two different noise shapers, that both have acceptable performance from the threshold of audibility POV. The performance is covered in my Hugo technical masterclass slide:

Hugo DAC Technical Master Class slide 6.jpg

What was interesting was the sound quality differences - the bottom noise shaper had better depth and detail resolution, and sounded significantly warmer and smoother. The change in warmth is down to noise floor modulation, as the noise floor at -190 db of the first noise shaper improves to -200 db with no signal present. This level of noise floor modulation would not be measurable on real test equipment, as the analogue noise would swamp the noise shaper noise floor modulation.

After the test, the engineer came up to me and said that what surprised him was not that he could actually hear a difference, but that the difference was so easy to hear - it was a night and day change to him. Anyway, the guy wrote a report to the company, and thereafter I got no arguments about the necessity of doing things to this level of performance.

As to your comments about MP3 - well on my BluDave I can very easily hear the difference from 320k AAC to CD quality - the AAC sounds soft and warm by comparison, and it's very apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back