Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #31,681 of 42,765
It wasn't so much audio issues with the V20, it was notifications in general and using a cellphone. Though, I do find that it can't compare with the Mojo or Fiio (and it probably shouldn't). It has more "bloated" bass. The mids are nice but less refined and I feel sometimes the Highs are "trying" too hard and can get shrill (but a lot of that could be the headphones). Once I went to the Mojo... I basically stopped using the V20 as an audio device in general.  Though, as a phone... it does sound really good.

I personally own fiio-x5 iii and V20 together ..and v20 is far from having bloated bass(its such a mis interpretation that i would go so far as to say one probably never had a proper hands on with V20 )..its sits on the opposite side of having anything 'bloated'

E.g Akg k240 headphone quite known for its weak low-feq output ,still sounds solid and punchy via V20 .

Hence , unless u used some personally modded equipment ...like VE Monk plus modded ..its REALLY difficult to imagine V20 having bloated output..

And yeah ..another point ..per my view..
V20 produces much more "neutral" "flat"
(MOST people make mistake amping left and right channel to max creating more n more V shaped response ..those need to be kept at zero unless required , for flatness) "authentic" sound signature across headphones
and sources than Mojo ..And the
Amp capacity of V20 is equivalent to mojo (32mw@600ohm).

I guess there is nothing wrong that you see V20 differently ...but maybe you didnt look hard enough or didnt want/need to...
Coz even if I am wrong ...10 other people cant possibly be wrong together..

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #31,682 of 42,765

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #31,683 of 42,765
I personally own fiio-x5 iii and V20 together ..and v20 is far from having bloated bass(its such a mis interpretation that i would go so far as to say one probably never had a proper hands on with V20 )..its sits on the opposite side of having anything 'bloated'

E.g Akg k240 headphone quite known for its weak low-feq output ,still sounds solid and punchy via V20 .

Hence , unless u used some personally modded equipment ...like VE Monk plus modded ..its REALLY difficult to imagine V20 having bloated output..

And yeah ..another point ..per my view..
V20 produces much more "neutral" "flat"
(MOST people make mistake amping left and right channel to max creating more n more V shaped response ..those need to be kept at zero unless required , for flatness) "authentic" sound signature across headphones
and sources than Mojo ..And the
Amp capacity of V20 is equivalent to mojo (32mw@600ohm).

I guess there is nothing wrong that you see V20 differently ...but maybe you didnt look hard enough or didnt want/need to...
Coz even if I am wrong ...10 other people cant possibly be wrong together..

I've listened to the V20 for awhile before purchasing the Mojo or even the Fiio. I've used it with CIEMS, LCD-2F, TH-X00 and quite a few other headphones. IMHO, the V20 bass is not as well defined, and in my opinion "less controlled" that is why I said it was bloated. If I described it incorrectly, my bad. It is not as clean as the other two devices. It has fantastic mids and sometimes shrill highs. I do not fault it as it is the best phone source I've used. I'm happy you like yours, and I'm personally happy with using mine as a phone (which it is a good phone). I just wouldn't choose it as my only audio device over the other two. Though, had I not heard the other two, I'd be perfectly content. Now, back on topic shall we?

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #31,684 of 42,765
Hi, folks!
I found mojo measurements

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/chord-mojo.php#rw13

Output power is absolute different from official user manual.

From manual:

Any thoughts?

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #31,685 of 42,765
Different criteria to determine the power.

In the RAA, the capacity is calculated at the beginning of the clipping.
Manufacturers often calculated as a certain percentage of distortion, it gives higher power values.
If there is clipping, no matter what percent is it. With clipping, bad sound will be with the 1% and 0.1 and 0.01 percent. But if the clipping is not, then it will be good to play and 1% and above.

Manufacturers usually do not show spectra. Reports RAA spectra are shown and each can define an alternative output power value using any method that he feels right.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #31,686 of 42,765

This is clear spectra. Clear sound.

Clear spectra with start clipping distortion. Clear sound.

Hard clippnig. But little value distortion 0.0038%. Unpleasant Sound.

Very hard clippnig. Value distortion - 0.015%. Wheezing sound.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #31,688 of 42,765
While the v20 is a great device, I highly doubt it outputs that much power from its amp section even in high impedance mode. 

I underestimated V20 first too ..being a phone and all..but high impedance mode + software ans hardware matched dynamic volume levelling always provided Spot on volume matched music each time (neither too loud nor too silent)

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #31,689 of 42,765

Ah to be honest I haven't tried that yet (airplane-mode).  Will do that tomorrow as I'm sleepy now... but in my case, iPhone notifications do emit sound which should have been heard on the Mojo.

The Mojo has very poor RFI rejection down the USB cable, and is also somewhat vulnerable through the air. It's better to pair it with an old phone in flight mode, or best of all, a DAP with optical out (and radios off). Don't use it with a phone with its radios on, as soon as the signal to/from the local cell is too attenuated, the phone will crank the gain, and cause lots of noise on the Mojo.

As I say, a DAP with the radios off, and an SPDIF or optical cable will make the most of the device.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #31,690 of 42,765

The Mojo has very poor RFI rejection down the USB cable, and is also somewhat vulnerable through the air. It's better to pair it with an old phone in flight mode, or best of all, a DAP with optical out (and radios off). Don't use it with a phone with its radios on, as soon as the signal to/from the local cell is too attenuated, the phone will crank the gain, and cause lots of noise on the Mojo.

I found that if you "shield" the USB connector on the CCK-cable it eliminates most (if not all) the RFI noise.
If you hear the noise just try putting your hand around the USB connector-part and the noise disappears. Think it's the USB end of the CCK-cable that is badly shielded.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #31,691 of 42,765
  Hi, folks!
I found mojo measurements

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/chord-mojo.php#rw13

Output power is absolute different from official user manual.

From manual:

Any thoughts?

Yes, there is something wrong with the numbers. If it can produce 720mW at 8 Ohms, then  6,75mW at 16 Ohms can not be correct. It should be something around 360mW at 16 Ohms. Just by itself, then 6,75mW at 16 Ohms can't be right.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #31,692 of 42,765
Yes, there is something wrong with the numbers. If it can produce 720mW at 8 Ohms, then  6,75mW at 16 Ohms can not be correct. It should be something around 360mW at 16 Ohms. Just by itself, then 6,75mW at 16 Ohms can't be right.

Those measurements are rubbish. Rob has already stated in the Hugo thread (Mojo, Hugo and TT have the same output stage except for the TT's increased bias current) with other 'measurements' from elsewhere and confirmed what the actual output power is. What has me scratching my head is how there is such a huge discrepancy.

Its because the figures are nonsense.

Hugo actual output is:
[COLOR=3F3F3F]Output power - 1KHz 1V sinewave both channels driven 0.1% distortion[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]  600 Ohms 35mW[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]  300 Ohms 70mW[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]  56 Ohms 320mW[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]  32 Ohms 600mW[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]
[/COLOR][COLOR=3F3F3F]  8 Ohms 720mW[/COLOR]
[COLOR=3F3F3F]Also Hugo TT share identical output stages, (except for increased bias current), same PSU voltage, same gain. So will deliver almost identical power for a given battery voltage.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=3F3F3F]Rob[/COLOR]

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/14295#post_13070560

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #31,695 of 42,765

Ah to be honest I haven't tried that yet (airplane-mode).  Will do that tomorrow as I'm sleepy now... but in my case, iPhone notifications do emit sound which should have been heard on the Mojo.

As I say, a DAP with the radios off, and an SPDIF or optical cable will make the most of the device.

Yup, I agree re RFI effects of a phone with Mojo (read lots about it) but it's my only source when mobile and about.  And I honestly did not notice any noise or my ears are not that trained to distinguish it. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you misunderstood my comment though.  What I meant was that the phone notifications (or music from the player or when watching a movie on my phone) should have been heard on the Mojo if there's no "breakage" with the iOS v10.3.x update.  I don't recall having any issues with my iPhone 5S + CCK-USB3 cable + Mojo combo prior to the update.

Update: Still losses audio even when I use flight-mode on my iPhone 5S v10.3.1.  Sometimes it only takes a few minutes, sometimes more than an hour.  A pause/resume on the player sometimes works, but a reinsert of the CCK-USB3 cable is more reliable to get audio again.  What's weird is that even with loss of audio, the power ball of Mojo is still on (indicates red, green or whatever sampling rate of music is playing from iPhone) and the player is still playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back