Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 8, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #31,652 of 42,765
I wouldn't either. Even if there is little chance of Apple stealing it, just on principle, I wouldn't want to support and reinforce that kind of closed proprietary system.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #31,653 of 42,765
I wouldn't either. Even if there is little chance of Apple stealing it, just on principle, I wouldn't want to support and reinforce that kind of closed proprietary system.

Then, which is the best source device alternative to link with Mojo if not an iOS device? I don't want Poly and I want it connected through cable, able to run Tidal (Qobuz desires) and some apps to play 24/96 or 24/192 files stored internally.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #31,654 of 42,765
i've popped over from the hugo 2 thread also in need of some advice regarding android if apple  idevices become nil.

i may get a sony m5 it has 16 gb flash storage with 10gb available. does anyone know if i can store tidal offline to the micro sd card for this specific sony model?

also if this phone does not support hires audio does it really matter if your feeding the signal into a mojo or hugo 2 as its externally processed anyway? its "good" audio just not hires.

i know the mojo users are experts in all this stuff so help appreciated. mk.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #31,656 of 42,765
Chord must be mightily pissed off. Apple just halved the audience for the Mojo with 10.3 update.

Really? Android has quite a share of phones being used. Personally I wouldn't use a phone, many like myself prefer a DAP. Then there are a few laptop and PC users about i believe?

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #31,657 of 42,765
hi venton,

has the situation deteriorated to the point where there is no remedy? have chord announced anything? i have a deposit down for a hugo2 if apple is out i can put my ipad mini retina 2 to one side and carry on........

Andrew we are talking potentially thousands of users also oppo

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #31,658 of 42,765
Then, which is the best source device alternative to link with Mojo if not an iOS device? I don't want Poly and I want it connected through cable, able to run Tidal (Qobuz desires) and some apps to play 24/96 or 24/192 files stored internally.

I use an AK70, it isn't ideal for everyone (I love it), but I would never go back to Apple.  They lost my business a long time ago when they started deliberately slowing down older devices on newer IOS updates.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #31,659 of 42,765

Chord must be mightily pissed off. Apple just halved the audience for the Mojo with 10.3 update.

Really? Android has quite a share of phones being used. Personally I wouldn't use a phone, many like myself prefer a DAP. Then there are a few laptop and PC users about i believe?

I agree, it's not really a "halved the audience" situation.  While I am disappointed with the iOS 10.3.x breakage, I totally understand it cannot be perfected every time.

I use my Mojo mainly as a desktop DAC/Amp from my Macbook Pro and only use my iPhone when going mobile, thus the effect to me is minimal.  Would love to have a DAP but I'm saving for now. 
wink_face.gif

Update:  My iPhone 5S v10.3.1 still losses audio after a few minutes of play when used with my Mojo + CCK-USB3 cable.  I will try to steal my wife's 6S Plus or my daughter's iPad Air (both on v10.3.1) some time this week and see if they're affected.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #31,660 of 42,765
I agree, it's not really a "halved the audience" situation. While I am disappointed with the iOS 10.3.x breakage, I totally understand it cannot be perfected every time.

I use my Mojo mainly as a desktop DAC/Amp from my Macbook Pro and only use my iPhone when going mobile, thus the effect to me is minimal. Would love to have a DAP but I'm saving for now. :wink_face:

Update: My iPhone 5S v10.3.1 still losses audio after a few minutes of play when used with my Mojo + CCK-USB3 cable. I will try to steal my wife's 6S Plus or my daughter's iPad Air (both on v10.3.1) some time this week and see if they're affected.

There is another factor which you could also test.

Based on the hypothesis that Apple have updated the code so that when more power is needed to maintain contact with the cell mast, the power available for the USB connection is reduced.

There are reports like yours, that the USB connection is initially ok, but then gets cut.
The question this raises is, is your USB connection ok initially when you are within short distance of a cell mast (so low power to maintain phone contact), but when you move out of this range and the phone power has to be increased, then the USB connection gets cut.
This could be happening if you are commuting, or in a car - however would be harder to explain if you were located in one place all the time.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #31,661 of 42,765

I agree, it's not really a "halved the audience" situation.  While I am disappointed with the iOS 10.3.x breakage, I totally understand it cannot be perfected every time.

I use my Mojo mainly as a desktop DAC/Amp from my Macbook Pro and only use my iPhone when going mobile, thus the effect to me is minimal.  Would love to have a DAP but I'm saving for now. 
wink_face.gif

Update:  My iPhone 5S v10.3.1 still losses audio after a few minutes of play when used with my Mojo + CCK-USB3 cable.  I will try to steal my wife's 6S Plus or my daughter's iPad Air (both on v10.3.1) some time this week and see if they're affected.

There is another factor which you could also test.

Based on the hypothesis that Apple have updated the code so that when more power is needed to maintain contact with the cell mast, the power available for the sub connection is reduced.

There are reports like yours, that the USB connection is initially ok, but then gets cut.
The question this raises is, is your USB connection ok initially when you are within short distance of a cell mast (so low power to maintain phone contact), but when you move out of this range and the phone power has to be increased, then the USB connection gets cut.
This could be happening if you are commuting, or in a car - however would be harder to explain if you were located in one place all the time.

Hmm... that's an interesting thought, however I've been always static when I listen to Mojo, so not sure if that'll count.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #31,662 of 42,765
Hmm... that's an interesting thought, however I've been always static when I listen to Mojo, so not sure if that'll count.

It is interesting feedback, because it implies that your phone is always using the same cell mast, and so something else would need to be triggering the change in cell power.
I am not an expert in how the cell power changes, but I wonder if an incoming email or sms would cause a temporary increase in cell power.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #31,663 of 42,765
It is interesting feedback, because it implies that your phone is always using the same cell mast, and so something else would need to be triggering the change in cell power.
I am not an expert in how the cell power changes, but I wonder if an incoming email or sms would cause a temporary increase in cell power.

It could have to do with the phone checking for notifications too.  I always assumed that's what caused the random EMI/RFI pulses phones emit.  

Best way to test if it has to do with power changes is to try airplane mode. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #31,664 of 42,765

As I remember, there were none (incoming messages).  My theory was that there's another iPhone process that's trying to use the audio while I'm listening thus the cause of the audio loss.  But the wonder is that the player (HibyMusic/Spotify/etc) is supposed to pause but it just continued playing.  Thus my conclusion of a "breakage" for the iOS v10.3.x release.

Really deserves some more investigation and verification from other affected iPhone users too. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #31,665 of 42,765
As I remember, there were none (incoming messages).  My theory was that there's another iPhone process that's trying to use the audio while I'm listening thus the cause of the audio loss.  But the wonder is that the player (HibyMusic/Spotify/etc) is supposed to pause but it just continued playing.  Thus my conclusion of a "breakage" for the iOS v10.3.x release.

Really deserves some more investigation and verification from other affected iPhone users too. :D  

Thanks for the feedback - it all helps the gradual process of elimination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back