Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 19, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #29,416 of 42,765
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #29,417 of 42,765
I noticed that with certain EQ settings, lowering the volume by a certain amount via a preamp (even a digital one like reducing the volume on your player) is recommended.

Is this necessary at all with the Mojo?

Can't I just keep my player volume at maximum and control the volume with the Mojo?

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #29,418 of 42,765
  I noticed that with certain EQ settings, lowering the volume by a certain amount via a preamp (even a digital one like reducing the volume on your player) is recommended.

Can't I just keep my player volume at maximum and control the volume with the Mojo?

That's what I do, I keep the volume at max so there isn't any loss of resolution; digital volume is a lossy mechanism, as I understand it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #29,419 of 42,765

I'm don't think it's any different on the Mojo. Any time you boost certain frequencies and your volume is at 0.0, you can run into clipping distortion. You should therefore lower your volume by at least the db you boost in EQ to avoid clipping.  

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #29,420 of 42,765
  That's what I do, I keep the volume at max so there isn't any loss of resolution; digital volume is a lossy mechanism, as I understand it.

I thought Chord DACs have digital volume control without any loss, though.

I'm don't think it's any different on the Mojo. Any time you boost certain frequencies and your volume is at 0.0, you can run into clipping distortion. You should therefore lower your volume by at least the db you boost in EQ to avoid clipping.  

So far, I haven't run into any issues with extreme bass boosts for the JVC HA-SZ2000.

...But I haven't tried ultra-extreme boosts by 20 or 30 dB yet.
devil_face.gif

If I reduced the volume on the player, I'd have to increase the volume on the Mojo to my desired level.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #29,421 of 42,765

I thought Chord DACs have digital volume control without any loss, though.

They are certainly not immune to clipping, that would defy sound-science. The DAC will provide a highly accurate signal, if you feed it distortion/clipping, that is  what's accurate. In fact, many if not most songs have harmonic distortion and sometimes clipping as part of the song. It would be quite bad if the DAC changed any of that so that it was missing. 

However on the other hand, lowering the volume should have a lesser affect on resolution than other DACs due to Chords excellent digital volume implementation. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #29,422 of 42,765
I know i should use WASAPI/ASIO if possible, but if its not what settings should i set the Mojo in Windows Settings? I do have some problems with Tidal being in exclusive mode and still it tells me to change the sound settings to 44.1 HZ 16Bit. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

So should i set Windows settings to 44.1 16 Bit or even 44.1 24 Bit? 

From as far i know 99% of the music on Tidal is in this format. If im using foobar with other formats WASAPI works from there.

Picture what i mean: http://imgur.com/a/iC3Eh

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #29,423 of 42,765

They are certainly not immune to clipping, that would defy sound-science. The DAC will provide a highly accurate signal, if you feed it distortion/clipping, that is  what's accurate. In fact, many if not most songs have harmonic distortion and sometimes clipping as part of the song. It would be quite bad if the DAC changed any of that so that it was missing. 

However on the other hand, lowering the volume should have a lesser affect on resolution than other DACs due to Chords excellent digital volume implementation. 

What is their digital volume implementation? 

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #29,425 of 42,765
How do I get the coax connection to work? (Just wanted to try it.)

I used a cable with 1/8" termination on both ends. One end is connected to a headphone output on my laptop and the other is connected to the coax input on the Mojo. No USB cable is connected. The power light turns off when it is not connected via USB. I tried various output settings in foobar2000, but there is no audio.

The headphone out of your laptop is analogue and the coaxial input is digital. The Mojo can't input an analogue signal and only recognizes a digital bitstream, this is why the sampling rate light turns off with the laptops headphone out plugged in. Remember, the Mojo is first and foremost a Digital to Analogue Converter, not an analogue to digital to analogue converter. You need to use a source that supplies a digital coaxial output or get a USB to coaxial adaptor to 'try out' the coaxial input. If you don't already have a coaxial source like a CD player or a DAP with coaxial output (like FiiO DAPs) it seems like a lot of effort to me just to test it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #29,426 of 42,765
The headphone out of your laptop is analogue and the coaxial input is digital. The Mojo can't input an analogue signal and only recognizes a digital bitstream, this is why the sampling rate light turns off with the laptops headphone out plugged in. Remember, the Mojo is first and foremost a Digital to Analogue Converter, not an analogue to digital to analogue converter. You need to use a source that supplies a digital coaxial output or get a USB to coaxial adaptor to 'try out' the coaxial input. If you don't already have a coaxial source like a CD player or a DAP with coaxial output (like FiiO DAPs) it seems like a lot of effort to me just to test it.

This is me right now:

r_249043_53p1d.gif

I totally already knew that the Mojo cannot be used as an amp only, since the DAC's analog output stage is the only "amp" it has.

...I just realllly wasn't thinking about that at the time. XD

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #29,429 of 42,765
I recommend the soundaware Esther m1pro. I find it to surpass even the ak380 for this purpose.
Many in HK are using the M1pro for this purpose but they using coaxl? Its not a small dap. Also does it get very warm ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back