Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 20, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #29,446 of 42,765
How much of an upgrade is this over something like the OPPO HA-2?

I have both. Surprisingly perhaps, but the difference is big. 

Don't get me wrong, the HA-2 is not bad and I enjoyed it for a while. But... the Mojo takes things to another level. Things that it easily beats the HA-2 in are naturalness (realness of instruments), 3D soundstage (not just wide, depth and layers in the depth... amazing), lower noise floor, ... the list goes on really.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #29,447 of 42,765
What makes it an exceptional source vs an iPhone or Android if you are removing the dac duties from it. It's doing nothing more than a cheap phone at that point, surely? Serious question as I'm new to the DAC game.

I can see how one transport may have more features, or more easily support different formats, but I can't see them sounding different with the amp and dac bypassed.

That's the thing, Different transports, for whatever reason, can sound very different with pretty big improvements. That's why I'm hesitant to go down the path of the small dap transports. I was tempted for the AK100, but it just didn't sound very good as a transport. The dac duties are not the whole story. That's why people spend money on streamers and transports in the hifi realm.

The thing about the mojo is this, while it does sound great even with any cheap player or phone, it is, to my ears very very sensitive to transport usage, more so than the hugo and because of that, it kinda pains me (lol) as a HUGE mojo fan, to see people only using the mojo with really cheap transports. The mojo can go from being just meh with a poor transport (my original fiio x5 was such an example) to sounding absolutely huge and ridiculously good on the esther m1pro. 

I know it's hard to image, but try it when you have the chance, go two ends of the spectrum, try it out in a shop with the AK100 and the AK380, the difference is stark.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #29,448 of 42,765
Hello,

Been reading and searching through this thread, manual and elsewhere, but not clear about this.

Does Mojo's two 3.5mm jacks when the unit is put into line out mode, both jacks can be driven at (default) 3V outputs, simultaneously, like the both jacks (in non-line out mode) function as headphone outs?

Thanks much.

AFAIK Mojo has only one amplification stage. Therefore both jacks are sharing the same voltage (Outputs are in parallel).

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #29,449 of 42,765

That's the thing, Different transports, for whatever reason, can sound very different with pretty big improvements. That's why I'm hesitant to go down the path of the small dap transports. I was tempted for the AK100, but it just didn't sound very good as a transport. The dac duties are not the whole story. That's why people spend money on streamers and transports in the hifi realm.

The thing about the mojo is this, while it does sound great even with any cheap player or phone, it is, to my ears very very sensitive to transport usage, more so than the hugo and because of that, it kinda pains me (lol) as a HUGE mojo fan, to see people only using the mojo with really cheap transports. The mojo can go from being just meh with a poor transport (my original fiio x5 was such an example) to sounding absolutely huge and ridiculously good on the esther m1pro. 

I know it's hard to image, but try it when you have the chance, go two ends of the spectrum, try it out in a shop with the AK100 and the AK380, the difference is stark.

I have noticed that too but was wondering, what is the real cause of that? Different implementation of inputs on Mojo, or the weakness of the transport? My X5II through coax doesn't sound so good as iPhone connected to Mojo. I was speculating that it might be that the Mojo's usb implementation is much better than coax. In this case I was eyeballing the AP60 or M1 to connect it through usb. But if all of the Mojo's inputs are of equal quality, than it would probably bring no improvement at all, unless I go for a higher-tier transport.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #29,450 of 42,765

I have noticed that too but was wondering, what is the real cause of that? Different implementation of inputs on Mojo, or the weakness of the transport? My X5II through coax doesn't sound so good as iPhone connected to Mojo. I was speculating that it might be that the Mojo's usb implementation is much better than coax. In this case I was eyeballing the AP60 or M1 to connect it through usb. But if all of the Mojo's inputs are of equal quality, than it would probably bring no improvement at all, unless I go for a higher-tier transport.

I find it difficult to comment on the quality of the different inputs in comparison with each other. That said, even on the same input, different transports sound quite vastly different.

In all honestly I would recommend a transport upgrade. That said, I would not recommend something like the 380, that's quite a waste to be used solely as a transport. Hence the soundaware esther m1 or m1pro, they do not cost ridiculous amounts, yet sound amazing as transports.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #29,451 of 42,765
  I know i should use WASAPI/ASIO if possible, but if its not what settings should i set the Mojo in Windows Settings? I do have some problems with Tidal being in exclusive mode and still it tells me to change the sound settings to 44.1 HZ 16Bit. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

So should i set Windows settings to 44.1 16 Bit or even 44.1 24 Bit? 

From as far i know 99% of the music on Tidal is in this format. If im using foobar with other formats WASAPI works from there.

Picture what i mean: http://imgur.com/a/iC3Eh

Anyone?

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #29,453 of 42,765
Is anyone using Mojo plugged directly into a power amp? I'm thinking of replacing my Naim Nait (integrated amp) for a Naim NAP100 (power amp) since I figure that with Mojo I don't really need the preamp stage of the Nait.
What I'm a little concerned about is the little 'pop' sound Mojo makes when you turn it on, obviously plugged straight into a power amp there's no way to turn this down, but how does this play out in reality? Speaker damaging?

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #29,454 of 42,765
  Is anyone using Mojo plugged directly into a power amp? I'm thinking of replacing my Naim Nait (integrated amp) for a Naim NAP100 (power amp) since I figure that with Mojo I don't really need the preamp stage of the Nait.
What I'm a little concerned about is the little 'pop' sound Mojo makes when you turn it on, obviously plugged straight into a power amp there's no way to turn this down, but how does this play out in reality? Speaker damaging?

i use it daily with Genelec Monitors and Sub from last 1 year.. yes pop sound is there in starting 1 second.. but rest everything is fine till now !

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #29,455 of 42,765
Jan 20, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #29,456 of 42,765
See Rob's reply to point #2 in the Hugo thread. The same should apply to Mojo:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/9420#post_11250750

I guess I should rephrase the question.

For every 6dB reduction in volume I expect to lose one bit of information with pre-DAC volume control implementation. Is this true or not?

The post leads me to another question, and as a disclaimer this is just 100% curiosity and not to be construed as criticism... Why carry around 51 bits if you have a 32-bit DAC implementation? Do you really need that much precision to get an answer accurate to 32-bits? Well, 20 or 21 really, since the remaining bits are lost to analog noise.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #29,457 of 42,765
I nearly destroyed my Brain/Ears!!!!!

Had Mojo since they came out, used with my trusty low impedance SE846's. Only normally have on the two dull Red volume balls.

When in bed at night I find the balls too bright so do the two button press to DIM them.  Well last night I did the same but must have pressed to DIM them while it was still going through its start-up routine and set it in line out mode.

Couldn't listen to music for hours after. Looks like no lasting damage to my ears/SE846's (not sure about the Brain) so be warned.................not nice at all !!

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #29,459 of 42,765
I guess I should rephrase the question.

For every 6dB reduction in volume I expect to lose one bit of information with pre-DAC volume control implementation. Is this true or not?

The post leads me to another question, and as a disclaimer this is just 100% curiosity and not to be construed as criticism... Why carry around 51 bits if you have a 32-bit DAC implementation? Do you really need that much precision to get an answer accurate to 32-bits? Well, 20 or 21 really, since the remaining bits are lost to analog noise.

Not being an engineer, I would not be able to answer that, but Rob might weigh in. In the 3rd post, he digital volume details are a little underrepresented :)

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #29,460 of 42,765
Same happened to me! Horrible experience. What exactly did I do wrong? Press both buttons during the starting process? What does line-out do exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back