Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #29,476 of 42,765
  I am thinking of getting a couple of those JBL LSR305 speakers that many seem to recommend to use with the Mojo.  Would I set line out when connecting to those or just connect normally and alter volume with the Mojo?

I've to idea on Speakers so other advice on what/how to use with Mojo would be great. Are the JBL LSR305 still best bang for the buck ?

Pay attention to choose cables in fonction of your taste and not from the wallet.
Try to compare with these ones to understand what it is about.

http://www.wireworldcable.com/

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #29,477 of 42,765
  That's the thing, Different transports, for whatever reason, can sound very different with pretty big improvements. That's why I'm hesitant to go down the path of the small dap transports. I was tempted for the AK100, but it just didn't sound very good as a transport. The dac duties are not the whole story. That's why people spend money on streamers and transports in the hifi realm.

The thing about the mojo is this, while it does sound great even with any cheap player or phone, it is, to my ears very very sensitive to transport usage, more so than the hugo and because of that, it kinda pains me (lol) as a HUGE mojo fan, to see people only using the mojo with really cheap transports. The mojo can go from being just meh with a poor transport (my original fiio x5 was such an example) to sounding absolutely huge and ridiculously good on the esther m1pro. 

I know it's hard to image, but try it when you have the chance, go two ends of the spectrum, try it out in a shop with the AK100 and the AK380, the difference is stark.

I only listen to music at home and mainly care about ultimate sound quality. (The only way I'd buy a luxury DAP is if I exclusively listened to music away from home.)

Based on impressions of them outperforming others (including ones that cost five figures), I have my eye on this network player and music server:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/sms-200/
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i5

...But personally I wouldn't get them until after at least upgrading to the Hugo 2.

I nearly destroyed my Brain/Ears!!!!!

Had Mojo since they came out, used with my trusty low impedance SE846's. Only normally have on the two dull Red volume balls.

When in bed at night I find the balls too bright so do the two button press to DIM them.  Well last night I did the same but must have pressed to DIM them while it was still going through its start-up routine and set it in line out mode.

Couldn't listen to music for hours after. Looks like no lasting damage to my ears/SE846's (not sure about the Brain) so be warned.................not nice at all !!

Oh man, that sucks. I always adjust the volume for whichever headphone I'm going to use before I put it on. But actually, in line level mode, it reduces the volume to lower than I usually listen to with the HD 800. So with harder to drive headphones, it's not an issue.

Same happened to me! Horrible experience. What exactly did I do wrong? Press both buttons during the starting process? What does line-out do exactly?

That's the only way I know of to activate line level mode.

From the manual:

To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

It's meant for connecting to an external amplifier. (Etc.) It basically just sets the volume to that level, but you can adjust the volume to whatever else you want. (As long as you're sure you should in that situation.)

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #29,478 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

I have been using my iFi iCAN Micro SE for a couple weeks now. I have a problem, and I have no clue how to solve it, as I can't figure out which component is causing the problem. I THINK it is my computer, but I'm not sure. I am feeding the iCAN with a Chord Mojo, and when it was plugged in via USB to my Macbook Pro there was a very loud buzz/hum from 8 o'clock to 10'oclock on the volume knob. I then began connecting the Mojo to my Macbook Pro via Optical, and the buzz/hum went away. All is fine, or so I thought.

Now, I am getting electrical shocks when I touch the case of the iCAN, shocks when I touch the Mojo, and shocks from the Metal connectors on my headphones, when the headphones are plugged into the iFi. Also, if I plug the Mojo in via USB, you can see little sparks at the usb port as you plug it in, which makes me THINK it is my Macbook Pro that is the problem. This all happens whether or not the Macbook Pro is plugged in, or not plugged in, it makes no difference. The Mojo is battery powered, so I'm guessing it is not the Mojo, but I'm not sure. 

I am going to cross post this in a couple threads, as I have no clue which component is causing the problem, and I don't want to fry my gear. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not an electrical engineer, and I'm so confused as to what is going on. 

Note: The Macbook Pro, when plugged in, is using a 3 prong magsafe adapter. The iFi is plugged in via a 3 prong iPOWER. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #29,479 of 42,765
Hi Guys,

I have been using my iFi iCAN Micro SE for a couple weeks now. I have a problem, and I have no clue how to solve it, as I can't figure out which component is causing the problem. I THINK it is my computer, but I'm not sure. I am feeding the iCAN with a Chord Mojo, and when it was plugged in via USB to my Macbook Pro there was a very loud buzz/hum from 8 o'clock to 10'oclock on the volume knob. I then began connecting the Mojo to my Macbook Pro via Optical, and the buzz/hum went away. All is fine, or so I thought.

Now, I am getting electrical shocks when I touch the case of the iCAN, shocks when I touch the Mojo, and shocks from the Metal connectors on my headphones, when the headphones are plugged into the iFi. Also, if I plug the Mojo in via USB, you can see little sparks at the usb port as you plug it in, which makes me THINK it is my Macbook Pro that is the problem. This all happens whether or not the Macbook Pro is plugged in, or not plugged in, it makes no difference. The Mojo is battery powered, so I'm guessing it is not the Mojo, but I'm not sure. 

I am going to cross post this in a couple threads, as I have no clue which component is causing the problem, and I don't want to fry my gear. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not an electrical engineer, and I'm so confused as to what is going on. 

Note: The Macbook Pro, when plugged in, is using a 3 prong magsafe adapter. The iFi is plugged in via a 3 prong iPOWER. 

Did you try a different USB cable? Sounds like there is a short.

As for the hum, are you sure the two outlets are on the same circuit? You might have a ground loop. You could also try running the MacBook as a floating source instead.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #29,480 of 42,765
Did you try a different USB cable? Sounds like there is a short.

As for the hum, are you sure the two outlets are on the same circuit? You might have a ground loop. You could also try running the MacBook as a floating source instead.

Yup I've tried 3 USB cables with the same results. I think the two outlets are on the same circuit? I have the same problem no matter where the gear is plugged in within the house. Whats a floating source? Sorry I'm not experienced electronically. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #29,482 of 42,765
Caved in and bought the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone software.

I was actually the first person on Head-Fi to post a tutorial for it back when I was using the trial.

Crossing my fingers I can get much better sound now! Anxious because it cost 99 Euros...

Do you have any other computers you can test with?

Unplug the MacBook and run on battery

He already did that:

This all happens whether or not the Macbook Pro is plugged in, or not plugged in, it makes no difference.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #29,483 of 42,765
Hi everyone.
I am enjoying the Tidal Master streaming through my mojo but i was wondering how can i get the best from mqa streaming.
 Mojo is not a mqa decoder (unless chord will update his firmware, but i think it will never happen) so i'm using the tidal app built in converter but if i understood well, software conversion of mqa files can't get the best from this file format that requires an hardware converter to do the job at his best. So i was wondering, do you know if there is a portable device to connect to the mojo and to my mac and my android phone that could make the mqa decoding at his best, leaving to the mojo the merely dac job?
Thanks in advance to everyone will contribute.
Mario

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #29,484 of 42,765
Hi everyone.
I am enjoying the Tidal Master streaming through my mojo but i was wondering how can i get the best from mqa streaming.
 Mojo is not a mqa decoder (unless chord will update his firmware, but i think it will never happen) so i'm using the tidal app built in converter but if i understood well, software conversion of mqa files can't get the best from this file format that requires an hardware converter to do the job at his best. So i was wondering, do you know if there is a portable device to connect to the mojo and to my mac and my android phone that could make the mqa decoding at his best, leaving to the mojo the merely dac job?
Mario

I think I see now why the Tidal app only unfolds once. It's probably in their licensing terms so that the suits behind MQA can make more money on royalties from hardware sales for components that incorporate MQA decoding. Fantastic.

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #29,486 of 42,765
  Hi everyone.
Mario

PM sent. It's a product not made by chord so I thought it courteous not to post the link in the chord thread.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #29,487 of 42,765
if you know a MQA capable Digital to Digital Converter many here would like to know...

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #29,488 of 42,765
Mine is the studio edition which is even more open, detailed and airy even as a transport. It's a pity the studio edition isn't on sale
frown.gif

You mean the Studio->Mojo is even more open, detailed and airy than the M1 Pro->Mojo?

M1 Pro->Mojo sounded more transparent and open compared to the Fiio X3ii->Mojo. I did not compare it to any of the USB sources though.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #29,490 of 42,765
What makes it an exceptional source vs an iPhone or Android if you are removing the dac duties from it. It's doing nothing more than a cheap phone at that point, surely? Serious question as I'm new to the DAC game.

I can see how one transport may have more features, or more easily support different formats, but I can't see them sounding different with the amp and dac bypassed.

I haven't heard the Mojo through an iPhone but I have heard it through a number of mobile phone's, PC's, music servers, and devices.

The thing I really enjoyed about the M1 Pro as a source was the inherent musicality it produced when compared against my other USB sources. 

Mojo had a lot more body to it and instruments sounded more realistic than either the M1 Pro alone could produce or when Mojo is connected to my LG V20 through an OTG cable.

I didn't have any expectations when connecting the M1 to the Mojo but day after day my initial gut feeling was confirmed. The M1 Pro as a source gives the sound ease and makes it sound effortless and musical, the way Mojo should always sound.

I feel it even gives the Microrendu/LPS-1 a good run for the money, coming dangerously close actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back