Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #29,491 of 42,765
maxh22

Interesting. I always assumed that since the file remains digital until it's processed by a DAC, then it's sound is unaltered regardless of source, and therefore would sound identical. i guess I was wrong. This could turn into an endless rabbit hole of marginal gains huh?

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #29,492 of 42,765
Jan 20, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #29,493 of 42,765
@maxh22

Interesting. I always assumed that since the file remains digital until it's processed by a DAC, then it's sound is unaltered regardless of source, and therefore would sound identical. i guess I was wrong. This could turn into an endless rabbit hole of marginal gains huh?

Yes, ideally that should be the case. But some of us here have indeed observed differences between 2 transports feeding the Mojo using the same mode.

For example, I heard a difference between Fiio X3ii and Soundaware M1Pro, both feeding Mojo via co-axial, with the Mojo sounding more transparent and clearer, when fed by the M1Pro.

And some have heard a differences between, 2 different models of Astel&Kern DAPs, both feeding Mojo via optical.

This has remained/will always remain a very debatable topic. After many debates, we reached a point in this thread, where both party is happy to stick to their beliefs, while letting the other party stick to their's.  A co-existence, if you will. :)

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #29,495 of 42,765

Agreed.

Agreed but my understanding now is the original master Tidal is using for MQA are 24/96, so it's sent in 24/48 MQA and Tidal App decodes once getting 24/96 and theorically we are not losing anything. MQA Hardware decoding inside DAC would be worth if original fial is 24/192 or higher or want to make Tidal bypass decoding to DAC.

By now I love re-listen those albums in 24/96 with Mojo/HD600 - I am really enjoining.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #29,496 of 42,765
EagleWings Ah. Apologies for being late to the party! :)

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #29,498 of 42,765
Quote:
AFAIK Mojo has only one amplification stage. Therefore both jacks are sharing the same voltage (Outputs are in parallel).

Quote:
u

Correct. One output stage and, in fact, the two outputs are wired together, so they are exactly the same.

So, both 3.5mm jacks when the unit is in line out mode, are putting out the same (as in KVL) level of output, 3V (default), but the currents are split in halves (thinking like the KCL)?

In other words, like you can drive two headphones from these 2 jacks out the same line out, when say both are driving two separate amplifiers?  (not that you ever want to)

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #29,499 of 42,765
maxh22

Interesting. I always assumed that since the file remains digital until it's processed by a DAC, then it's sound is unaltered regardless of source, and therefore would sound identical.

Correct.

You'll find those who disagree are staunchly opposed to performing a proper, witnessed, controlled test to demonstrate the merit in their opposing view.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #29,500 of 42,765

So, both 3.5mm jacks when the unit is in line out mode, are putting out the same (as in KVL) level of output, 3V (default), but the currents are split in halves (thinking like the KCL)?

In other words, like you can drive two headphones from these 2 jacks out the same line out, when say both are driving two separate amplifiers?  (not that you ever want to)

So, again, I'm not an engineer, but my understanding would be that the same output is available to each output (L or R).  If I plug a headphone into the L output, I will get a certain voltage for a given volume setting.  If I plug a second same headphone into the R output, the impedance will be halved and the current requirement will double, but the voltage will be the same to both headphones.  So, this is fine, up to a point (current requirements and impedance).

Going into an amplifier, or two amplifiers, I do not know what the effect would be - maybe different and maybe not recommended?  Or maybe it works the same way?

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #29,505 of 42,765

Did you try a different USB cable? Sounds like there is a short.

As for the hum, are you sure the two outlets are on the same circuit? You might have a ground loop. You could also try running the MacBook as a floating source instead.

Yup I've tried 3 USB cables with the same results. I think the two outlets are on the same circuit? I have the same problem no matter where the gear is plugged in within the house. Whats a floating source? Sorry I'm not experienced electronically. 

You can try a cheater plug.  But it sounds like your don't have well grounded wall sockets.  You might need a ground tester for your house.  Or have your landlord test it if you rent.  It may not be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back