Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #29,522 of 42,765
Hello there.  I have a BDP-95 which I bought factory-direct immediately after product launch and have been a very happy user ever since.  I too use the balanced output for music (m.ch. downsampled to stereo for video).  

I actually find that taking the trouble to spin discs can sometimes yield a fuller, more rewarding & more enjoyable musical experience.  But the Mojo definitively often reveals more detail and most importantly seems to remove "phasey-ness" so moving around is alright whereas the CD/SACD playback tends to pin you in the "sweet spot".  Sometimes I think certain content (think newly re/mastered) is tuned to earphone listening at the expense of old-fashioned stereo speakers in the room, but am not sure about that.

Just my opinion, though.  And it may change as this thing evolves!

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #29,523 of 42,765
Guys, thanks for suggesting this cable. It is good not to have to use the camera kit adapter from apple. This cable works perfectly. I wish it was even shorter, but for only $12 US dollars on Amazon, no complaints.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #29,527 of 42,765
  Guys what sampling- + bit rate are you using in windows with the mojo?

I know you should prefer WASAPI but if its not possible what would be the optimal settings? Talking about music and gaming and i think 44.1kHZ 16Bit should be the most uses source format so should i set it to that? Or better 24 Bit?

Or in other words if i set it to 192kHZ 24Bit will windows just up and downsample everything and ruin the quality?

Please help me!

I use Chord's ASIO driver, which automatically adjusts the settings depending on the file.

If you are using DS, I'd select 16/44...but I never heard a difference between those Windows settings.

Hi guys!
I own the Sennheiser HD800. Cambridge CXA60 is the amplifier with DAC integrated (originally bought to drive my pair of Tannoy XT6F) used to drive the headphones for now. They say it's a pretty good DAC as well. Now I just don't know how good.
Music is played by my Macbook Pro 2016 that is digitally connected to the Cambridge using toslink connection (through a Behringer UCA202).

Questions:
1) Is it worth for me to buy the Chord Mojo?
2) Does it deliver a substantial improvement over the internal DAC of the Cambridge CXA60?
3) How much of the HD800 potential is Chord Mojo able to unlock? Let's say that the HD800 delivers a 98% with Chord Dave. What would be the estimate with the Chord Mojo? An 85%, a 90% or a 95%?

I know it's difficult to assess with aseptic numbers but that's the only way for me to have an idea since I can't test the product myself right now.

Thank you so much for your help, guys!
Have a nice day!

Ego

I've used the HD 800 with the Mojo for about 8 days.

I think the Mojo is worth it. I have driven the HD 800 from the much more expensive 430HAD and HDVD 800, and the differences in sound compared to driving it from the Mojo are small enough that I wouldn't even be able to tell you what they are without a direct comparison. I can't tell you how it compares to other DAC/amps, as I have only heard the HD 800 on those three.

I was actually able to hear the improvements brought about by the Mojo much more easily with my Koss KTXPRO1 (despite it being a far less resolving headphone), because I've lived with it for a long time and am intimately familiar with how its sound changes with different equipment.

If you want to tap into the HD 800's potential, EQ and physical modifications will do considerably more for that than solid state amps. (As for DACs...since I've never heard the DAVE, I can't say how much better it sounds than the Mojo, but pretty much everyone says it's on a completely different level.)

I have a good deal of experience equalizing the HD 800, from copying various EQ settings others have used to using the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone software to experimenting on my own every way I could think of.

I have realized that without mods, it doesn't have nearly enough impact for my standards. (Whether we're talking bass impact or higher frequencies like snare drums.) Even when I boost everything under 100 (or 200) Hz by 12 dB, it still barely has any impact...which is odd because most headphones will hit pretty hard with settings not even half as extreme as that. But I have read about it having very strong impact with certain mods, so I'm not saying it can't do things like that; just not in stock form.

I have also been unable to fix its "mechanical" sound signature no matter how I equalize it. It's probably just a property of the drivers. The detail and imaging are insanely good, but it doesn't seem to be able to reach the level of neutrality, transparency and naturalness as the STAX SR-207. (Which I never felt the urge to equalize.)

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #29,529 of 42,765
Looks much better, no doubt about that. But how long will the cable work before apple decides to release a new update and potentially brick it.

Please keep us updated in the coming months if it still works.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I do notice a difference in sound with analog signal. Example copper vs silver headphone cable, however I can't tell any difference at all with digital signal. Such as a fancy USB vs a cheap USB like this one.

So that is a plus for this cable.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #29,530 of 42,765
A related question is whether Mojo sounds better when using the Coax, Optical or USB. Which is best?

My experience with USB versus optical suggests that optical is the winner. It is consistent with Rob Watts' explanation here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/11010#post_12330131

Optical, of course, has the restriction of limiting playback to 192kHz/24-bit. Also, thought I am not entirely sure about this, it does not support native DSD transmission.

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #29,532 of 42,765
I have an old Samsung I9305 Galaxy S3 Lte which has OTG capabilities. Mojo, however, is not recognised. Any solutions? Thanks for any help
Chris

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #29,535 of 42,765
Hmm, seems some answers are to be found on this webpage

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver 

... and the bottom line is that I need to *buy* software which has its own dedicated USB audio driver :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back