Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 18, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #29,386 of 42,765
one thousand users, would represent approximately 2% of the total number of Mojo users.
So even if only a small percentage of Mojo owners leave theirs plugged in continually, it can easily represent thousands.

Perhaps, but even so, those people may not be part of head-fi. They could also be leaving it plugged in all the time as well, never testing the battery. It's really hard to determine whether or not it has a negative impact on the battery. I don't think there is conclusive proof either way tbh. Other than taking Chords word (not saying that's a bad thing).

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #29,387 of 42,765
Why would one never plug it out though? 

I mean, just to make a habit - leave it to discharge once in a few days - just to be save

I am only cautioning users from leaving any lithium battery device (including Mojo) plugged in constantly for months on end, 24/7. It's generally stressful for lithium batteries as they will remain at the upper end of a full charge (4.10V and up for a single cel, which is where Mojo resides when left plugged in and not used) most of the time (topping up). Lithium batteries like to be used and according to battery experts (and personal experience) they will degrade when always plugged in 24/7.

Here is an excerpt from my previous link:

Lithium-ion suffers from stress when exposed to heat, so does keeping a cell at a high charge voltage. A battery dwelling above 30°C (86°F) is considered elevated temperature and for most Li-ion a voltage above 4.10V/cell is deemed as high voltage. Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling. Table 3 demonstrates capacity loss as a function of temperature and SoC.

Bold emphasis by me

Now, the Mojo uses a Lithium Polymer battery and Chord has stated clearly that it was specifically designed for the Mojo for heat considerations and longevity so this caution may be a moot point. I'm only saying that it can't be harmful to unplug to reduce potential stress. Worth it IMO. That's it. Of course each user can make their own decision as to what they want to do.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #29,389 of 42,765
What happens when the battery dies?
Can you you still it when plugged in?
How much does it cost to replace the battery?

The Mojo can not run without the battery. You need to take it to an authorized Chord dealer for a battery replacement (or ship it in) is the statement from Chord. I believe the cost for battery replacement would be in the ballpark of the Hugo replacement at $60 (not a confirmed price for the Mojo).

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #29,390 of 42,765
What happens when the battery dies?
Can you you still it when plugged in?
How much does it cost to replace the battery?

if you can do DIY hard wire the mojo power connector yes you can make it run without battery. Use a Voltage Regulator Circuit to Set the Output of the Power Supply to the Appropriate Voltage for mojo. (require soldering! and knowledge of electric current! mojo run high power!! danger!!)

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #29,391 of 42,765

if you can do DIY hard wire the mojo power connector yes you can make it run without battery. Use a Voltage Regulator Circuit to Set the Output of the Power Supply to the Appropriate Voltage for mojo.

Thou dangerous and a bit unpractical due to the implications - this should work well 
biggrin.gif
 Unless there's a jumper connector or test that it runs on the battery or something. 

Tho  it would feel like a frankestein being kept alive by tubes... 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #29,395 of 42,765
I wish Chord would make a Mojo that looks like a GeekOut V2, no battery inside, smaller , just needs to be plugged into a USB.
why not use this ?

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #29,396 of 42,765
why not use this ?

He would need to get an amp that can handle 3V input. IMO he should just get the Hugo TT or DAVE.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #29,397 of 42,765
Jan 19, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #29,399 of 42,765
  He would need to get an amp that can handle 3V input.

Which reminds me... Schiit Audio amps have no maximum input voltage spec and can handle it no problem. (I confirmed this with them.)

And on the topic of size...here are the dimensions of Chord DACs.

DAVE: 340mm (w) x 145mm (d) x 150mm (h)
Hugo TT: 235mm (w) x 225mm (d) x 45mm (h)
Hugo 2: 130mm (w) x 100mm (d) x 21mm (h)
Hugo: 132mm (w) x 100mm (d) x 20mm (h)
2Qute: 160mm (w) x 40mm (d) x 70mm (h)
Mojo: 82mm (w) x 60mm (d) x 22mm (h)

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #29,400 of 42,765
How is everyone dealing with interference when running the Mojo in close proximity to their iphone? I get intermittent noise. I've tried different USB cables without any reduction. Was contemplating a short usb cable for a piggyback solution but now thinking I might want to stick with longer cable and different pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back