Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #511 of 10,482
The pictures we have seen of leaked Mojo 2 shows four buttons. Anyone had any idea what the fourth button will be?

Maybe input select, but then does it really need that. Mojo select worked by default. Is it likely there could be input select between the two USB inputs? Again would it need that?

Maybe it's a filter like the Hugo 2, Qutest, and TT2 have. That would make sense, as Rob gave thought to IEM sound signature when he made first Mojo.
Your thoughts match others that have been posted earlier in this thread. I agree filters makes more sense than inputs. I hope there’s a more noticing difference between the filters if that is indeed included.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #512 of 10,482
And price
I bought my DX300 for $800. I bought my Mojo/Poly for about the same price. Both used.

A new Mojo and Poly would retail for $1300. A new DX300 retails for $1249.

I just weighed both devices. The DX300 is 12.6 oz. The Mojo/Poly is 11.3 oz. Holding one in each hand and then switching, they are not that different in size. And, the Mojo/Poly requires a third device to run the player, so that more than makes up for the difference in size. When you add the networking limitations and add the fact that the DX300 can play for well over 8 hours of actual play time, there is no competition. I would choose the DX300 10 out of 10 times over the Mojo/Poly. This is what the Mojo 2 is competing against. If the Mojo 2 is only 90% of the Hugo 2, I don't need it. I already have a Hugo 2 with 2Go that is 100% of the Hugo 2.

The current Chord Mojo is not competitive. Hopefully, the Mojo 2 will change that.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #513 of 10,482
The pictures we have seen of leaked Mojo 2 shows four buttons. Anyone had any idea what the fourth button will be?

Maybe input select, but then does it really need that. Mojo select worked by default. Is it likely there could be input select between the two USB inputs? Again would it need that?

Maybe it's a filter like the Hugo 2, Qutest, and TT2 have. That would make sense, as Rob gave thought to IEM sound signature when he made first Mojo.
My money's on the M button activating an M-scaler type feature. I think someone else mentioned similar earlier in the thread.

I remember hearing an interview/podcast with Robb Watts where he was talking about hearing the M-scaler in action and how realistic little details like piano key strikes were with it on. Once heard, he didn't want to go back to listening to music without it and was taking it with him to use in hotel rooms etc. He went on to state that it would be great if he could come up with a more portable solution, but the only problem was the power requirement and difficulty of implementing it in a portable device.

I'm inclined to think he's managed to find a way to put a stripped down version of the M-scaler in the Mojo - not as full-on as the table top box, of course, but similar in principle with a smaller power draw, and that's what the M button activates.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #514 of 10,482
My money's on the M button activating an M-scaler type feature. I think someone else mentioned similar earlier in the thread.

I remember hearing an interview/podcast with Robb Watts where he was talking about hearing the M-scaler in action and how realistic little details like piano key strikes were with it on. Once heard, he didn't want to go back to listening to music without it and was taking it with him to use in hotel rooms etc. He went on to state that it would be great if he could come up with a more portable solution, but the only problem was the power requirement and difficulty of implementing it in a portable device.

I'm inclined to think he's managed to find a way to put a stripped down version of the M-scaler in the Mojo - not as full-on as the table top box, of course, but similar in principle with a smaller power draw, and that's what the M button activates.
I think that’s a bit of a stretch to think something that requires a separate box would now fit into Mojo’s package. Even Mojo needs its taps run at “half speed” to keep heat down. I think it will be filters or (better IMO) a “mobile” button that will allow desktop mode with full speed taps (on charge, bypasses the battery, maybe uses supercaps) or mobile mode with half-speed and better battery life.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #515 of 10,482
I think that’s a bit of a stretch to think something that requires a separate box would now fit into Mojo’s package. Even Mojo needs its taps run at “half speed” to keep heat down. I think it will be filters or (better IMO) a “mobile” button that will allow desktop mode with full speed taps (on charge, bypasses the battery, maybe uses supercaps) or mobile mode with half-speed and better battery life.
Love that idea.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #518 of 10,482
I think it will be below expectations and my guess is that it will have the filters Hugo has, maybe better battery life and extra USB-C. That's it.
I agree too with this conjecture...

The mojo is already good DAC/amp for sound as is IMHO, except for the obsolete connector, and flimsy connector. I broke a Hugo connector, and my mojo too, and I'm really delicate with my gear. Those connectors are not solidly fixed to the main board, just surface mount soldering on pin...not enough solid.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #519 of 10,482
I think it will be below expectations and my guess is that it will have the filters Hugo has, maybe better battery life and extra USB-C. That's it.
And improved DAC, no? I don’t think they’d release it they hadn’t improved sound by a noteworthy margin. Look at the jump from Hugo to Hugo 2.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #520 of 10,482
And improved DAC, no? I don’t think they’d release it they hadn’t improved sound by a noteworthy margin. Look at the jump from Hugo to Hugo 2.
My guess is the mojo will be at the sound level of the old the original Hugo. At the price of a Mojo 1. That's it.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #522 of 10,482
My guess is the mojo will be at the sound level of the old the original Hugo. At the price of a Mojo 1. That's it.
for me hugo was at the same level of mojo. just different signature

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #523 of 10,482
Imagine you're Rob Watts and you're thinking: I could save space and weight in lugging around my Hugo 2 ...

... with a Mojo 2.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #524 of 10,482
Imagine you're Rob Watts and you're thinking: I could save space and weight in lugging around my Hugo 2 ...

... with a Mojo 2.

Dude lugs around the TT2 and the M Scaler for listening on flights. Not a joke, see the Ask Rob Watts thread.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #525 of 10,482
even if it is improved I don't think will be major difference in terms of sound quality. After all well design DACs might be different but not night and day different. The Mojo was a good day and amp. As such is all done to features, easy of use and compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back