Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 1, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #496 of 10,482
Convenience. That's the word. Todays DAPs are "good enough" for portable devices.
This, for sure. More than good enough actually.
The Sony WM1a with WM1z firmware sound better than my Mojo, for me anyway. It also has an interface, stores thousands of songs, and works great as a bluetooth DAC out of the box.
Granted it's a £1000 unit, but similar devices are coming now at £600ish.

I love the Mojo, but fact is, on the go I just want something that's quick, simple, and sounds really good. And there are tons of options there, heck even an audioquest dragonfly sounds great, and when you're out and about its as good as you need.

Imo Chord need to make this convenient, or cheaper, it's their only option. Or if they could actually nail the Poly this time, and make it work, for £800ish total, that would also be great. But it needs to be really user friendly this time not the s**** storm it is today.

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #497 of 10,482
The Sony WM1a with WM1z firmware sound better than my Mojo, for me anyway. It also has an interface, stores thousands of songs, and works great as a bluetooth DAC out of the box.

I love the Mojo, but fact is, on the go I just want something that's quick, simple, and sounds really good. And there are tons of options there, heck even an audioquest dragonfly sounds great, and when you're out and about its as good as you need.

Imo Chord need to make this convenient, or cheaper, it's their only option. Or if they could actually nail the Poly this time, and make it work, for £800ish total, that would also be great. But it needs to be really user friendly this time not the s**** storm it is today.
I have to say, I had huge problems with the Poly when I first bought it earlier this year. It would work on my iPhone for 2 minutes and then just drop out. Then I bought a new iPhone and it works flawlessly every time. Once it’s in the right mode, I just turn it on and connect Tidal via Airplay and I’m good to go.

The Poly also works flawlessly on Roon, provided you have strong wifi and your Roon server has a rock solid (Ethernet) connection and enough juice to handle your database.

On DAPs vs. Mojo+Poly, you both make fine points. But you don’t actually know what Mojo 2 will sound like. What if it’s 90 percent of Hugo 2?

Nov 1, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #498 of 10,482
On DAPs vs. Mojo+Poly, you both make fine points. But you don’t actually know what Mojo 2 will sound like. What if it’s 90 percent of Hugo 2?

Couldn't agree more, it's entirely possible the Mojo 2 will sound divine and squals a solid desktop setup, and then all this goes out of the window. And knowing Chord, it's even likely.

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #499 of 10,482
Going without saying that the price will be higher. The question is how relevant they will be. I don’t think any new unit will make the number mojo made. They might be late to the party.
Yep. The question of relevance is precisely the impetus for my reasoning that a USB-C only device with internalized Poly capabilities may not be so far-fetched.

The fellows at Chord aren’t dummies. Stubborn, yes, but not dummies. They know the original Mojo was the success it was because it represented ground-breaking sound and capability in a relatively tiny package. They also know that today, the definition of capability has shifted dramatically, and connectivity is weighed heavily in that matrix.

So if Chord is positioning the Mojo 2 to be the same revelation in 2021 that the Mojo 1 was in 2015, then it stands to reason the device will feature capabilities that make it revelatory in the current market.

The sound is the easy part for Chord…

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #500 of 10,482
Chord obviously thinks you’re wrong
And maybe I am. I own several chord products including the poly+mojo. The mojo was good and still is but competition is catching up. I don’t remember the last time I took my polymojo outside the house. My point is portable audio technology is not where it used to be. Chord has to be innovative the way they were innovative with the mojo.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #501 of 10,482
And maybe I am. I own several chord products including the poly+mojo. The mojo was good and still is but competition is catching up. I don’t remember the last time I took my polymojo outside the house. My point is portable audio technology is not where it used to be. Chord has to be innovative the way they were innovative with the mojo.
Yeah that’s true. Hope you’re right that they need to shift and have baked that into the new Mojo.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #502 of 10,482

Have the WM1A and is by far my favorite dap ever.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #503 of 10,482
The mojo was good and still is but competition is catching up.
Out of interest, what modern competitors do you think out perform (or at least match) the original Mojo? I'm new to this, but the general consensus seems to be that the Mojo is still the best device in its class and price range.

I'm looking to get my first DAC/amp, and feel drawn to getting a Mojo 1 - but really don't like the thought of getting something outdated, and that will imenently be replaced! I also expect the Mojo 2 will be out of my budget - so would appreciate your thoughts.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #504 of 10,482
Out of interest, what modern competitors do you think out perform (or at least match) the original Mojo? I'm new to this, but the general consensus seems to be that the Mojo is still the best device in its class and price range.

I'm looking to get my first DAC/amp, and feel drawn to getting a Mojo 1 - but really don't like the thought of getting something outdated, and that will imenently be replaced! I also expect the Mojo 2 will be out of my budget - so would appreciate your thoughts.
I own a mojo / poly. I like the ifi diablo and ibasso DX300 better. I also prefer the Lotoo Paw S2 to the mojo mostly due to form factor for walking

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #505 of 10,482
Chord is good at sound quality, not so much features. So when we're talking about "competition", if features/tech matters to you as much as SQ, then yes, you're absolutely right that the competition has blown it away. But if you care about SQ above all else (I know I do), then the OG Mojo is actually still very much competitive.

That's kinda where they screwed up with the Poly. That product proved my point above. But there's the thing that a true transmission via WiFi is much better than BT (even LDAC), so there's good reason for Poly's existence.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #506 of 10,482

I can just share my personal experiences. The mojo by itself is a failure when it comes to portable audio with your mobile as a source. There is just to much RF or whatever interference. Therefore it will depend on your use case. With the poly is very good unit but again many daps and even dongles are good enough for music on the go. For me the mojo and poly is excellent inside the house or in my garden.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #507 of 10,482
Chord is good at sound quality, not so much features. So when we're talking about "competition", if features/tech matters to you as much as SQ, then yes, you're absolutely right that the competition has blown it away. But if you care about SQ above all else (I know I do), then the OG Mojo is actually still very much competitive.

That's kinda where they screwed up with the Poly. That product proved my point above. But there's the thing that a true transmission via WiFi is much better than BT (even LDAC), so there's good reason for Poly's existence.
My DX300 outperforms my mojo / poly in every way. It better in features, battery life and sound quality.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #508 of 10,482
My DX300 outperforms my mojo / poly in every way. It better in features, battery life, and sound quality.
And definitely outperform it in size :)

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #509 of 10,482
The pictures we have seen of leaked Mojo 2 shows four buttons. Anyone had any idea what the fourth button will be?

Maybe input select, but then does it really need that. Mojo select worked by default. Is it likely there could be input select between the two USB inputs? Again would it need that?

Maybe it's a filter like the Hugo 2, Qutest, and TT2 have. That would make sense, as Rob gave thought to IEM sound signature when he made first Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back