Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,546 of 10,450
Yeah, it’s tough reading about new tech implementations. I just sold my Hugo2 in favor of the Mojo 2. My preorder is in.
Just curious. Why did you do that? Do you not like the Hugo 2?

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,547 of 10,450
Just curious. Why did you do that? Do you not like the Hugo 2?
I have not been using the Hugo 2 much since getting the Dave. It's been basically sitting around. I was previously having the Hugo 2 do double duty, but mostly using it as a DAC with some other amps in a second setup. Now that I've sold my second setup, I want to go a different direction and try something new.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,549 of 10,450
is it about time to get second handed mojo 1 for price cheaper than black friday deal?
I'm hanging on to mine for now.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,550 of 10,450
I was in fact waiting for the Mojos successor for quite some time now, but fortunately I won't have to spend any money -- which is not a bad thing :wink:
An integrated Bluetooth receiver would have been nice since I'd never consider the Poly: much too complicated product, making the whole package much too large and heavy.
Yes, I'm quite disappointed, which may make this post sound harsher than necessary. But on the other hand, its one item less to care about, to wait for I guess. Still have fond memories of my original Mojo which I sold long ago, I'll just keep my old Hugo (1. gen) and call it a day.
I think you are underestimating the sonic improvements from the 16fs WTA filter, DC servo and improved noise shaper compared to your older Hugo 1. Is it a big enough jump to be worth the sonic upgrade? my guess is almost definitely yes but only you can decide.
No Bluetooth is disappointing but in such a small form factor, it would be much harder to isolate the Bluetooth receiver noise from the rest of the DAC I presume.
Chord user interface is definitely extremely idiosyncratic. Even as a Chord super fan, I’m somewhat annoyed. But their focus is always sound quality first. Now whether you like the sound and are willing to pay for it is obviously a very individual decision.

Jan 31, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,551 of 10,450
is it about time to get second handed mojo 1 for price cheaper than black friday deal?
Undoubtedly. When I first tried the Mojo I found it a step above the Oppo HA 2 that I was then using.
Now is a good time to try the original Mojo, but there is a good chance that you will then want to demo the Mojo 2.
No problem but if you enjoy a particular DAC you can find you are starting a long journey of upgraditis.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #1,552 of 10,450
I think you are underestimating the sonic improvements from the 16fs WTA filter, DC servo and improved noise shaper compared to your older Hugo 1. Is it a big enough jump to be worth the sonic upgrade? my guess is almost definitely yes but only you can decide.
No Bluetooth is disappointing but in such a small form factor, it would be much harder to isolate the Bluetooth receiver noise from the rest of the DAC I presume.
Chord user interface is definitely extremely idiosyncratic. Even as a Chord super fan, I’m somewhat annoyed. But their focus is always sound quality first. Now whether you like the sound and are willing to pay for it is obviously a very individual decision.
You think the mojo 2 will sound better than a hugo 1? I was aware from reading around the hugo 1 sounds a good chunk better than the mojo 1. Im just not sure how the mojo 2 will stack up but it would be quite something for it to rival a much larger, higher end unit surely?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,553 of 10,450
I have not been using the Hugo 2 much since getting the Dave. It's been basically sitting around. I was previously having the Hugo 2 do double duty, but mostly using it as a DAC with some other amps in a second setup. Now that I've sold my second setup, I want to go a different direction and try something new.
I see. I have the same issues with both the Mojo and Hugo 2. I was using the Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC, but then I got a TT2 and didn't need it for that anymore. The best use case was for travelling. I would connect to it via USB and then I could EQ with Equalizer APO. That's why I would love parametric EQ in the Mojo 2. I would buy that in a nanosecond at its current price if it had 12 band parametric EQ. The problem is to do it, you need a screen interface which Chord is not good at delivering on. I love the sound of the Hugo 2/2go, but it's just easier to use a DAP and so that is what I do now when not listening to my desktop.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,554 of 10,450
I see. I have the same issues with both the Mojo and Hugo 2. I was using the Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC, but then I got a TT2 and didn't need it for that anymore. The best use case was for travelling. I would connect to it via USB and then I could EQ with Equalizer APO. That's why I would love parametric EQ in the Mojo 2. I would buy that in a nanosecond at its current price if it had 12 band parametric EQ. The problem is to do it, you need a screen interface which Chord is not good at delivering on. I love the sound of the Hugo 2/2go, but it's just easier to use a DAP and so that is what I do now when not listening to my desktop.
The question of screen interfaces is on my mind, but I assume that the issue of best apps/interfaces will gradually become clear once users get their hands on the Mojo2.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,555 of 10,450
You think the mojo 2 will sound better than a hugo 1? I was aware from reading around the hugo 1 sounds a good chunk better than the mojo 1. Im just not sure how the mojo 2 will stack up but it would be quite something for it to rival a much larger, higher end unit surely?
hugo 1 is quite a bit better than the mojo 1. I had mojo, H1 and H2 all at the same time once...
my guess is that mojo 2 will be more technical than H1, but H1 will be warmer.
I prefer using the hugo rca outs adapted to a 4.4 output produced a bigger soundstage than through the 3.5

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,556 of 10,450
price in euros 599 is good
I'm not sure it is ...

The ifi Gryphon is £599 in the UK and it's Euros 599 in France. An equivalence price.

The Mojo2 UK price has British VAT included at £450 ... if that was deducted for export, should it not be cheaper ??

I need to do the maths but it feels too much to me.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,558 of 10,450
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,560 of 10,450
New video with early impression from @MoonAudio . I am not disappointed at all and have one on pre-order. Sounds like a bit of a mini H2 in many respects. Well at least functions.

My Mojo(M1) now only gets a max of 4 hours battery and have non-OEM ordered on eBay. Just wasn't sure where else to go! Plan to keep the M1 and mated to the Poly as my walking around Roon rig. Thinking the M2 with my laptop (for now) as a travel rig and my H2/2Go as my desktop higher end setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back