Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,561 of 10,443
I see. I have the same issues with both the Mojo and Hugo 2. I was using the Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC, but then I got a TT2 and didn't need it for that anymore. The best use case was for travelling. I would connect to it via USB and then I could EQ with Equalizer APO. That's why I would love parametric EQ in the Mojo 2. I would buy that in a nanosecond at its current price if it had 12 band parametric EQ. The problem is to do it, you need a screen interface which Chord is not good at delivering on. I love the sound of the Hugo 2/2go, but it's just easier to use a DAP and so that is what I do now when not listening to my desktop.
So what are you doing with your Hugo2?

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,562 of 10,443
I hope Chord takes the heavy feedback they‘ve received and introduces a non-Poly Gen 1 compatible version of the Mojo 2 with dual USB-C I/O. Its a simple problem to rework and would pave the way for a better, smaller Poly 2.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #1,564 of 10,443
If they did, who would buy this version? They’re all in now. Just like they were with the Poly
If such a version existed today, I would order it. The Mojo 2 leaves a bit to be desired and if I wanted go back in time with old I/O, it almost makes more sense to buy a used Hugo 2. While the Mojo 2 may be backwards compatible with the Poly, its barely compatible with iOS and Android as evidenced by the firmware log…

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,565 of 10,443
hugo 1 is quite a bit better than the mojo 1. I had mojo, H1 and H2 all at the same time once...
my guess is that mojo 2 will be more technical than H1, but H1 will be warmer.
I prefer using the hugo rca outs adapted to a 4.4 output produced a bigger soundstage than through the 3.5
Any guesses of Mojo 2 Vs Hugo 2? Care to speculate?

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,568 of 10,443
Any chance of a separate thread about why USB-C is essential in all gadgets for the USB-C evangelists? It's quite annoying for those of us who prioritise other things above that :)

I'm very excited for mine to arrive tomorrow and kudos to chord for a smooth release (at least in the UK) with stock available next-day. I remember the poly release had a several month waitlist which was painful and was preparing for the same.

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,569 of 10,443
@Rob Watts, do you consider Hugo 2 to be superior? The added features in the Mojo 2 make it seem less of an upgrade.

Did you mean to ask "Why do you consider Hugo 2 to be superior?" Because my post directly above yours gives you a link to where Rob Watts himself stated, today, that the Hugo 2 is superior.

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #1,571 of 10,443
That micro usb charging is a deal breaker for me… would have been nice if the usb c could be used for charging. I no longer have a chord mojo but i remember owning it twice in the last 6-7yrs and really liked its sound. The second time i owned it was when i went all in with the mojo-poly combination and sound wise it was great. I even managed to overcome poly’s cumbersome setup and made it work…

But back to that micro usb charging, what makes this worse is that if chord follows a similar pattern of upgrades, you will be stuck with this micro usb for the next 6-7yrs. My devices are all usb-c now with the exception of the iphone 13 pro max hence i am also one of those disappointed chord went with this old connector… but i guess i saved anyway so its a good thing. Like the others, the chord mojo 2 was a sure buy for me as i enjoyed the mojo 1… until i saw that connector.

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #1,572 of 10,443
That micro usb charging is a deal breaker for me… would have been nice if the usb c could be used for charging. I no longer have a chord mojo but i remember owning it twice in the last 6-7yrs and really liked its sound. The second time i owned it was when i went all in with the mojo-poly combination and sound wise it was great. I even managed to overcome poly’s cumbersome setup and made it work…

But back to that micro usb charging, what makes this worse is that if chord follows a similar pattern of upgrades, you will be stuck with this micro usb for the next 6-7yrs. My devices are all usb-c now with the exception of the iphone 13 pro max hence i am also one of those disappointed chord went with this old connector… but i guess i saved anyway so its a good thing. Like the others, the chord mojo 2 was a sure buy for me as i enjoyed the mojo 1… until i saw that connector.
Took the words out of my mouth.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,573 of 10,443
Like the others, the chord mojo 2 was a sure buy for me as i enjoyed the mojo 1… until i saw that connector.
That was me…

I made a comment “this may be the Mojo I was waiting for.” Than had to edit my post after seeing the connector.

Charge and data on the same connector is not good for sound, so I wouldn’t expect them to use the new USB C for charging. I was expecting to have all connectors replaced by USB C in prepararion for also a new Poly with less troublesome setup.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #1,574 of 10,443
I don't really have any issues with the micro-USB. It's fiddly to get the cable in but that is all. Just have to concentrate and be careful.

USB-C would be very nice, but it's not a deal breaker in any regard.

However I got the impression from someone's post that USB-C would be able to charge faster. After googling, I read that the max current across micro-usb is 1A. That explains why when using a 2A charger I meansured the same current as a 1A charger.

I guess it's a downside though if Chord's DACs could charge faster using USB-C. Four hours charging is somewhat a drag. However it never really gets in the way for me. If I am using Hugo 2 and it runs out of battery, I can charge and play for a while. Or switch to Mojo.

Chord DAC batteries taking four hours to charge has never really been a problem. Although it would be nice if they charged in half the time. It would for sure improve the user-experience.

Having said all that, it depends also on the charge rate of the battery.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #1,575 of 10,443
I certainly wouldnt buy or not buy a mojo 2 over usb-c or micro-usb....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back