Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #42,706 of 42,765
New Mojo owner here. I'd been looking to put together a low budget system while I'm on the road since my main system is in a storage unit at the moment. After doing a ton of research on DACs <$200 used from SMSL, Topping, Schiit, Cambridge Audio and a few other vendors I ended up coming back to Chord. I rarely listen on headphones and am mostly a 2-ch listener so the Mojo will be in a far-field setup. I'd previously using been using NAD M51 and RME ADI-2 FS DACs and have to say the Mojo sounds fantastic for $200 used. I haven't had a chance to hook it up to regular speakers yet, and have only had the chance to listen to it using lowly Sony MH1C IEM's at this point.

The most important thing I was looking for a in a DAC was musicality and the ability to listen for long periods without fatigue. The Mojo definitely fits the bill. It's more detailed than the M51, but does not come across as stridently bright at all. I'm pretty certain the low end Topping and SMSL DACs would sound cold, sterile and lifeless compared to the Mojo which is why I avoided them.

For $200 for a used Mojo compared to $800 for a used RME ADI-2 FS, the Mojo is a phenomenal value.
I do agree.
The Mojo has a unique sound signature for sure.
Coupled it with my Audio-GD Dac/amp to my active Elac floor standers and it sounds pretty good.
Never tried to connect the Mojo to my speakers directly bc of the missing remote.

But as a dac ,with a preamp (for volume adjustment) to speakers, it is a very reasonable consideration. :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #42,707 of 42,765
Hello! Just got a Mojo 1 and am wanting to use the Mojo as a DAC in my main system. I read that the "line out mode" is set to 3V. Does anyone know what volume color is closest to the more standard line level 2V? Thanks so much for any help.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #42,708 of 42,765
Hello! Just got a Mojo 1 and am wanting to use the Mojo as a DAC in my main system. I read that the "line out mode" is set to 3V. Does anyone know what volume color is closest to the more standard line level 2V? Thanks so much for any help.
4 clicks down from line out is about 1.9V. Enjoy!

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #42,711 of 42,765
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #42,713 of 42,765
Anyone know why they chose 3V for the line level output? 2V is standard.
It's not that uncommon to choose a "hotter" line out.
My dac/preamp is at 2.5v/ 5v.

Well, 2v would still be better for a wider volume adjustment range on the amp itself.

It really depends on the use case.

But some manufacturer chooses this to achieve a "better" sound out of the box in comparison to their competitors. :wink:

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #42,715 of 42,765
Hi there. I was recently introduced to Mojo 1 recently and i'm loving it. I plan to get one myself. Would you mind guiding me to which thread that i can look into how to mod the mojo into an always plugged in setup? Thank you
Not sure of your use case, but I owned and used a Mojo 1 for quite a while in a great stereo speaker setup. Strictly from a sound quality standpoint, the Mojo 1 sounded best via battery power with no connection to the charger. It is pretty easy to use daily as you pull the power when listening then plug back in when done.

There are a few threads about powering it while listening but if memory serves with not great results.

I am just one person, and I trusted my ears, it sounds better without power and run off battery.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #42,716 of 42,765
Not sure of your use case, but I owned and used a Mojo 1 for quite a while in a great stereo speaker setup. Strictly from a sound quality standpoint, the Mojo 1 sounded best via battery power with no connection to the charger. It is pretty easy to use daily as you pull the power when listening then plug back in when done.

There are a few threads about powering it while listening but if memory serves with not great results.

I am just one person, and I trusted my ears, it sounds better without power and run off battery.
That's not what they have in mind. They want to disconnect the battery and power the Mojo using a 7.5v DC power supply.

Power/battery mod link - https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/530964-chord-mojo-desktop-dac-mod-for-75v-supply/

DC 7.5v adapter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J4GBWF5/

JST Connectors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NWD5NTN

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #42,717 of 42,765
If you plan to use a far-field setup, bear in mind that the Mojo has less than 1W of power output.
That's fine for headphones, but I don't think I ever tried direct driving speakers with my Mojo.
I can drive near-field speakers fine with the Hugo 2, so you would stand a chance with the Mojo, if the speakers are reasonably efficient.
I think he means the dac would be used with an amp and conventional speakers. And in that case it is totally fine, I did it for years. If using it with powered speakers also not a problem.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #42,718 of 42,765
Jan 11, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #42,719 of 42,765
No idea why @miketlse referred to the 1W output. All that matters is that the headphone out can produce the proper Voltage. It will output 3V in line-out mode. 4 clicks down from max output is ~1.9V, as per mentioned at link. 2V is considered standard line level voltage for consumer audio equipment.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #42,720 of 42,765
Fwiw I had some unexpected results from powering some small DIY desk top speakers directly from the mojo.

This from a few years back I was messing around and hooked up the mojo direct to some small desktop speakers I had built the misses came over and sat down to listen (must be sounding nice) I asked if she could tell which set of speakers she was listening to she couldn't, I said the little one's she said "oh my god no way!"

Honestly superb fully out of box floaty imaging while sitting about 2 metres away and they were being driving direct from a little Chord Mojo headphone dac/amp with a trs to rca adapter in the picture. For desk top near field listening its crazy good.

9941441_l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back