Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 24, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #42,676 of 42,765
I wonder if you could swap in a super capacitor internal and in place of the battery. One that could handle the same voltage and current needs. That way you would still have the power buffer the system wants, but it wouldn't degrade from the charging cycles.
I see a lot of interesting posts about the benefits of using super-capacitors for powering AV gear.
For the Mojo2, I think a big physical difficulty could be introducing super-capacitors inside the case.

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #42,677 of 42,765
I'm curious, have you compared the Mojo 1 to Mojo 2 and found a noticeable difference?

I didn't ask in the Mojo 2 thread, as 'confirmation bias' will likely lead most people who purchased the Mojo 2 to claim it sounds better.

I've historically found differences in DACs to be very subtle, and though I'm tempted to buy the Mojo 2, I fear I'll find it doesn't really sound much different.

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #42,678 of 42,765
I'm curious, have you compared the Mojo 1 to Mojo 2 and found a noticeable difference?

I didn't ask in the Mojo 2 thread, as 'confirmation bias' will likely lead most people who purchased the Mojo 2 to claim it sounds better.

I've historically found differences in DACs to be very subtle, and though I'm tempted to buy the Mojo 2, I fear I'll find it doesn't really sound much different.
Buy it for the EQ and Crossfeed. The OG Mojo has one sound. Mojo 2 has many

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #42,680 of 42,765

I had a M1 and sold it cause i found it too soft in the top end vs my AK120 at the time.. less sparkly open. Later i heard M2 aside M1 which is more transparent as i like. With all DSP off.

I might buy one for travels.

Nov 4, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #42,681 of 42,765

I used Mojo1 daily for over 6 years. I said it was the best value in 40 years of audio. Until Mojo2. I rarely go back to Mojo1. 2 is cleaner, more powerful, more detailed, and even sweeter. The 1’s “warmth” turns out to be a slightly veiled, slower transient response anomaly. Plus, whether used or not, there is eq and cross feed. I don’t use eq really, but I use cross feed all the time and enjoy it. It’s noticeably better. Try to audition for an extended period, but a couple hours should also be enough.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #42,682 of 42,765
What do you think is the best alternative for a desktop DAC/Amp at the level of quality of Mojo 1 or 2?
My portable conditions have changed and I never carry Mojo with me to be paired with an iPhone or iPad, so my quality sound listening is at home.
Ring: iMac 21.5" with Audirvana and Tidal and MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open headphones either with balanced or unbalanced connections.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #42,683 of 42,765
What do you think is the best alternative for a desktop DAC/Amp at the level of quality of Mojo 1 or 2?
My portable conditions have changed and I never carry Mojo with me to be paired with an iPhone or iPad, so my quality sound listening is at home.
Ring: iMac 21.5" with Audirvana and Tidal and MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open headphones either with balanced or unbalanced connections.
Nothing!
May I ask why you are looking for an alternative ? do you already have something?
By DAC amplifier, do you mean for speakers or your flow?

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #42,684 of 42,765
Mjo2 in desktop mode. If your budget is larger, I would look at TT2. Great DACs.

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #42,685 of 42,765
Nothing!
May I ask why you are looking for an alternative ? do you already have something?
By DAC amplifier, do you mean for speakers or your flow?
I have Mojo 1, but I use it as recommended, or charging or playing with its own battery, but I hate when it runs out of battery, so that's the reason for a dedicated desktop solution to be used with my flow headphones. Thanks

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #42,687 of 42,765
Yep the above post.
I add TT2 to that list.
depending on your budget.
I do not belong to Chord fan club! I have a Topping DX7 pro as well. Its a good DAC, but the headphone out is nothing to write home about.
Alternatively , just live with your Mojo.
Charge overnight , listen other times.
If battery doesn't have much life, Chord UK, sells genuine batteries for about £40.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #42,688 of 42,765

For what it's worth I had both and sold the Mojo2, prefer the Mojo1 sound. The Mojo2 has many characteristics that tick the typical audiophile boxes: more linear bass response, with seemingly deeper reach, better separation of instruments in space, perhaps a touch more resolution. But the reason I prefer the 1 is that the 2 seems cleaner and more accurate, but the 1 captures the joy and excitement of music better. The 2, for me, was more accurate but also a bit more boring. I felt like maybe I needed to pair it with a tube amp to bring a bit of extra life out of it.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #42,689 of 42,765
I appreciate the response, but I probably wouldn't use either feature much if at all.
Firstly, I rarely used the EQ feature on many source gears, but the implementation on Mojo2 really surprised me and then, now I cannot live without it on M2 :D

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #42,690 of 42,765
For what it's worth I had both and sold the Mojo2, prefer the Mojo1 sound. The Mojo2 has many characteristics that tick the typical audiophile boxes: more linear bass response, with seemingly deeper reach, better separation of instruments in space, perhaps a touch more resolution. But the reason I prefer the 1 is that the 2 seems cleaner and more accurate, but the 1 captures the joy and excitement of music better. The 2, for me, was more accurate but also a bit more boring. I felt like maybe I needed to pair it with a tube amp to bring a bit of extra life out of it.
If you preferred the sound of Mojo to Mojo2 , for the reasons given (which I agree with some), then you have answered the question @MarkF786 was mainly after!
That indeed, Mojo and Mojo2 sound different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back