Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 21, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #42,661 of 42,765
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #42,662 of 42,765
Hello all,

I've been away a LONG time, with no access to this account, but, with some help from a moderator (thanks Joe), I can now access this account again.

I won't be around much, but if there's anything really significant you feel justifies being added to the first page of this thread, I'll try to get around to adding it. Please note that this would be added to post #4, not the main FAQ (post #2 / #3), because the FAQ post(s) have formatting problems that get worse with each edit, since the forum platform changed a couple of years ago (all those recursively-nested items didn't translate well to the different platform).

Cheers.

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #42,663 of 42,765
Hello all,

I've been away a LONG time, with no access to this account, but, with some help from a moderator (thanks Joe), I can now access this account again.

I won't be around much, but if there's anything really significant you feel justifies being added to the first page of this thread, I'll try to get around to adding it. Please note that this would be added to post #4, not the main FAQ (post #2 / #3), because the FAQ post(s) have formatting problems that get worse with each edit, since the forum platform changed a couple of years ago (all those recursively-nested items didn't translate well to the different platform).

Cheers.
Welcome back! I would add a link at the top to the Mojo2 thread. Cheers to you!

Aug 3, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #42,664 of 42,765
Hello all,

Cheers.
Welcome back after a long time.
There aren't very many posts on the thread these days, probably because many owners have moved on to the Mojo 2.
The most significant newish trend feels like owners modding the Mojo to run without battery, or with different power supplies, but they seem to create their own threads.
Maybe not 'significant' but you could add a refreshed list of cables, because some of the ones from 2016 are no longer available.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #42,665 of 42,765
Welcome back! I would add a link at the top to the Mojo2 thread. Cheers to you!

Thanks.

Mojo 2? What's that?

(kidding!)

I've added a Mojo 2 thread link to the top of post #1

Welcome back after a long time.
There aren't very many posts on the thread these days, probably because many owners have moved on to the Mojo 2.
The most significant newish trend feels like owners modding the Mojo to run without battery, or with different power supplies, but they seem to create their own threads.
Maybe not 'significant' but you could add a refreshed list of cables, because some of the ones from 2016 are no longer available.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I know how much of a rabbithole 3rd-party cables can be and although it's not a bad idea, I don't think I can dedicate the necessary time to get myself up to speed on that (I'm no longer 'into' the head-fi scene, so I'm way behind the curve as it is). I spent almost every single day, for 3 years or more, following this thread and updating post #2 / 3 almost daily. Now, I'll probably visit Head-fi no more than 2 or 3 times per month.

However, as a compromise, those of you reading this who are up-to-speed with the current crop of 3rd-party cables suitable for Mojo, if you'd be willing to post relevant links that I can copy & paste, then I'd certainly be happy to add them to post #4 on the first page.

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #42,666 of 42,765
Thanks.

Mojo 2? What's that?

(kidding!)

I've added a Mojo 2 thread link to the top of post #1

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I know how much of a rabbithole 3rd-party cables can be and although it's not a bad idea, I don't think I can dedicate the necessary time to get myself up to speed on that (I'm no longer 'into' the head-fi scene, so I'm way behind the curve as it is). I spent almost every single day, for 3 years or more, following this thread and updating post #2 / 3 almost daily. Now, I'll probably visit Head-fi no more than 2 or 3 times per month.

However, as a compromise, those of you reading this who are up-to-speed with the current crop of 3rd-party cables suitable for Mojo, if you'd be willing to post relevant links that I can copy & paste, then I'd certainly be happy to add them to post #4 on the first page.

Long time no see, what's the reason for dipping out? preference for speakers over headphones or just not as interested in the whole audiophile game?

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #42,667 of 42,765
Long time no see, what's the reason for dipping out? preference for speakers over headphones or just not as interested in the whole audiophile game?

Mostly lost interest in the audiophile game, during the past few years (I retain a very casual interest, but nothing more).

I originally stopped posting because I'd had it up to the eyeballs with materialistic teenagers and man-children vying (and bickering) with each other on the forum to gush over the latest flavour of the month $1000 cable or $3,500 DAP or CIEM, etc., or compete in their neverending conspicuous consumption posts, or bitch & moan that they can't get 100% life-satisfaction from this or that device or manufacturer. Talk about 1st world problems....

That disdain's not aimed at middle-of-the-road genuine folks from all walks of life, simply sharing their enjoyment of the hobby. It's just the harder-core element who seem obsessed with it all from a more materialistic, self-absorbed, and egotistical angle.

I put up with it for 3 years or so because I sincerely wanted to build a useful reference for users of Mojo and because I was loyal to my promise to JF and RW (both of whom, I've never met, by the way) that I'd do right by them and their product, in starting and running this thread. I never received a bean for doing it, and that's because I insisted upon it being that way.

So that's basically all it was - I felt the thread/FAQ had finally matured to a point where I could, in good conscience, leave it to stand on its own and support Mojo users without my input, and, not a day too soon, I wanted to put behind me the obnoxious minority of muppets who seem to drive a disproportionate amount of the traffic on the forum.

Oct 2, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #42,668 of 42,765
Original battery here in Canada was $98.99 CAD +13%tax + shipping!
I bought a 2500mAh one on Aliexpress for around $30 shipped a couple of years ago but didn’t install it until a couple of weeks ago. The original one was still holding ok so I charged it full before removing it, just in case. So far so good, the replacement is holding great, I’m thinking on buying another one, it’s now cheaper by almost $10 shipped, lol.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #42,669 of 42,765
I got tired ducking under my table to test the Mojo against the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, so I wanted the Mojo connected somewhere closer. I plugged my Mojo to my keyboard that has an extra USB connection, and that keyboard is connected to my KVM+monitor-in-one. With absolute certainty, the Mojo became dull and flat compared to when connected directly behind the motherboard.

I got a used Monach MkII IEM recently. The Mojo sounds better overall than the RME but gotta love the convenience of the volume knob on the RME.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #42,670 of 42,765
I got tired ducking under my table to test the Mojo against the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, so I wanted the Mojo connected somewhere closer. I plugged my Mojo to my keyboard that has an extra USB connection, and that keyboard is connected to my KVM+monitor-in-one. With absolute certainty, the Mojo became dull and flat compared to when connected directly behind the motherboard.

I got a used Monach MkII IEM recently. The Mojo sounds better overall than the RME but gotta love the convenience of the volume knob on the RME.
There is the possibility that when connected directly to motherboard , it picks up large amounts of RFI, making your mojo sound a bit brighter and harder.
When connected through a couple of hubs, and away from the noisy PC, RFI is reduced, and so is the brightness !
Just a guess . . .

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #42,671 of 42,765
Since I'm using the Mojo strictly as a stationary desktop DAC i decided to move the battery outside of the casing while it remains connected internally. I just left a tiny little gap between the top & bottom enclosures to let the wires out (i could also file a small indent in the chassis to let the wires through but in my situation this is good enough and has no impact on the operation of the control balls).
That way the battery is not exposed to heat at all and i don't run the risk of it getting swollen over time and pressing against the internal processor chip/electronics.
Only one single USB connection at a time; either charging or playing, thus no overheating.
A little bit of blutak to hold it in place and voila!

Attachments

• 20231023_121206.jpg
    20231023_121206.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_121225.jpg
    20231023_121225.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_121253.jpg
    20231023_121253.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #42,672 of 42,765
Since I'm using the Mojo strictly as a stationary desktop DAC i decided to move the battery outside of the casing while it remains connected internally. I just left a tiny little gap between the top & bottom enclosures to let the wires out (i could also file a small indent in the chassis to let the wires through but in my situation this is good enough and has no impact on the operation of the control balls).
That way the battery is not exposed to heat at all and i don't run the risk of it getting swollen over time and pressing against the internal processor chip/electronics.
Only one single USB connection at a time; either charging or playing, thus no overheating.
A little bit of blutak to hold it in place and voila!
Interesting but what is the difference between this and an external battery pack?

d

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #42,673 of 42,765
Interesting but what is the difference between this and an external battery pack?

d
None, but since i already have the original battery i didn't bother getting an external battery pack. My next attempt for a permanent desktop solution will probably consist of connecting an external 7.5Vdc power supply directly to the internal battery terminal and avoid having to recharge the battery.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #42,674 of 42,765
None, but since i already have the original battery i didn't bother getting an external battery pack. My next attempt for a permanent desktop solution will probably consist of connecting an external 7.5Vdc power supply directly to the internal battery terminal and avoid having to recharge the battery.
I wonder if you could swap in a super capacitor internal and in place of the battery. One that could handle the same voltage and current needs. That way you would still have the power buffer the system wants, but it wouldn't degrade from the charging cycles.

Oct 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #42,675 of 42,765
I wonder if you could swap in a super capacitor internal and in place of the battery. One that could handle the same voltage and current needs. That way you would still have the power buffer the system wants, but it wouldn't degrade from the charging cycles.
Thanks for the suggestion. At this point i want to avoid having to charge anything. My goal is simply to turn it on, listen to music and turn off.
This will require connection to a permanent power source.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back