Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 27, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #27,901 of 42,765
Many thanks. Right now my Mojo switched off after being in use through line out for less than half a day. So basically I should try to find alternative desktop AC powered solution with similar fantastic sound signature, which I wouldn't need to charge every day. And which doesn't cost as much as Dave. 

If you're not switching from portable use and desktop use of the Mojo very often, you can just leave it plugged in to the charger when it's fully charged. This way, when you use it as a desktop solution, the Mojo will still be at full charge since the charging circuit will supply enough power to top up the battery drain.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #27,902 of 42,765
Would it be wise to buy a Mojo now, or to wait until the Chord announcement that is coming on January 5th?  

I am really curious if the new products will replace or complement the existing Mojo.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #27,903 of 42,765
  Would it be wise to buy a Mojo now, or to wait until the Chord announcement that is coming on January 5th?  

I am really curious if the new products will replace or complement the existing Mojo.

Chord (from what I have seen) seem to usually let their products run their course, before releasing a replacement. Hugo has been around for close to 3 years. So what we can expect to be released during CES, is something to complement the Mojo. A lot of our (users') guess is, that there will be a Module that will convert the Mojo into a standalone player by itself, without the need to pair it with a smartphone or a DAP.

So to answer your question, if you wan't to use your mojo with the smartphone or any particular DAP or as a desktop device, you can get the Mojo right away. But if what's holding you back from buying the Mojo, is the fact that you do not like to stack with other devices, then may be, waiting till CES may be a good idea.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #27,904 of 42,765

you are either wise or an audiophile.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #27,906 of 42,765

i just read on here that mojo experiences distortion through usb computer link due to not being galvanically isolated. is this really true?? also  are jitterbugs and similar the way to go with mojo or has anyone tried a full size isolator like the intona?

finally how does the mojo perform so well with low to high impedence phones with no effort at all. it doesn't have a gain switch so what's the science behind this aspect? thanks to all

Yes, it's true and the measurements show it.

I think someone mentioned the intona will drain your source's battery very quickly.

You could use jitterbug, there are cheaper solutions though. Ferrite beads can be had for peanuts on digikey.

hi Grumpyoldguy,

May I ask if the connected Computer has Optical Out, would that not be better than USB to address RFI/EMC interferance?

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #27,907 of 42,765
If anyone can advise on the Mac Audio Midi setting when connected to Mojo via Optical for Music Files 256 kbps / 44.100kHz.

Currently set to 44.1kHz - 2ch 24-bit Integer in the Mac Audio Midi utility.
i set it to try and match the source music files, to prevent any oversampling and so allow the Mojo to process files.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #27,909 of 42,765
If anyone can advise on the Mac Audio Midi setting when connected to Mojo via Optical for Music Files 256 kbps / 44.100kHz.

i set it to try and match the source music files, to prevent any oversampling and so allow the Mojo to process files.

256 Kbps is the target data rate for the lossy file, not to be confused with bit depth (I'm guessing you're using AAC+ through iTunes). You want 16bit/44.1kHz set in the Audio Midi application as that's what the bit depth and sampling rate are for lossy files.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #27,910 of 42,765

256 Kbps is the target data rate for the lossy file, not to be confused with bit depth (I'm guessing you're using AAC+ through iTunes). You want 16bit/44.1kHz set in the Audio Midi application as that's what the bit depth and sampling rate are for lossy files.

Thank you Relic. Yes it is Apple Music files via iTunes.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #27,911 of 42,765

I think Chord have hinted that Mojo's price may rise in the new year to compensate for the decline of the Pound and the increased cost of some of Mojo's components in GBP.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #27,912 of 42,765
LOL, I would buy the Mojo now before the imminent price increase

and I very much doubt Mojo will be updated as it got the latest FPGA Artix 7 chip. 

Reading through all of Rob Watts posts, Hugo was a real game changer musically and all the DAC's that came after Hugo, upto Dave, really were built on the work (the FPGA code updates) that went into Hugo.

Having heard all those DACS (Mojo, Hugo, TT and Dave) they all work very well musically. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #27,914 of 42,765
well looking at Dave, Dave got 3 things which are better

- Better noise shaper (350 DB) compared to 200 DB in Mojo, Hugo and TT
- More taps (168,000 vs 26,000 in Hugo and Mojo)
- 2nd order noise shaper analog stage.

Unless there is some magical FPGA that gives Dave Spartan 6 LX75 capability in the size and price of the Artix 7 (which isn't going to happen in 2017), I see  0 % chance of a Mojo update.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #27,915 of 42,765
well looking at Dave, Dave got 3 things which are better

- Better noise shaper (350 DB) compared to 200 DB in Mojo, Hugo and TT
- More taps (168,000 vs 26,000 in Hugo and Mojo)
- 2nd order noise shaper analog stage.

Unless there is some magical FPGA that gives Dave Spartan 6 LX75 capability in the size and price of the Artix 7 (which isn't going to happen in 2017), I see  0 % chance of a Mojo update.

Actually, Chord does not publish or say how many taps are in the Mojo. I think because it's implemented in a different way than their other products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back