Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 28, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #27,931 of 42,765
How does the mojo effortlessly handle low and high impedence phones with no gain switch or similar. even desktop equivalents struggle here.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #27,932 of 42,765
How does the mojo effortlessly handle low and high impedence phones with no gain switch or similar. even desktop equivalents struggle here.

Read the informative posts by Rob Watts in the third post of this thread. :wink_face:

It's a complex subject.

Edit: The most relevant section is the one titled 'Regarding Mojo's output stage'.

Edit2: A rough summary would be that the Mojo does not have a seperate amplification stage. Think of the Mojo more of a discrete DAC with the ability to drive headphones from it's line-out rather than a DAC/amp. The output stage (OP) is very simple with a very low output impedance (0.075Ohm) and the volume is controlled digitally from the FPGA and output from discrete DAC resulting a measurably very clean output with enough current and Vrms to drive a wide range of loads.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #27,933 of 42,765
  Do you guys think this can be used for your 'main' HP dac/amp?

I wanted something decent to use while on my pc but I can't decide on a desktop dac/amp. This gets so many praises I'm thinking of using it for my main setup, with the added benefit of being able to use it with my phone when out too. I could always add an amp later on and just use it's dac?

Thanks

I use mine as a main (only) dac/amp for my pc/phone/ps4 so yes it can be a main system and depending on your headphones you probably won't need a separate amp.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #27,934 of 42,765
well looking at Dave, Dave got 3 things which are better

- Better noise shaper (350 DB) compared to 200 DB in Mojo, Hugo and TT
- More taps (168,000 vs 26,000 in Hugo and Mojo)
- 2nd order noise shaper analog stage.

Unless there is some magical FPGA that gives Dave Spartan 6 LX75 capability in the size and price of the Artix 7 (which isn't going to happen in 2017), I see  0 % chance of a Mojo update.

I think the Spartan 6 is a previous generation chip from a different family than Artix.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #27,935 of 42,765
My integrated tube amp works well with very height voltage input. It also have very high quality volume control discrete L-Pad.
Can I run Mojo with higher output than 3V?
How many clicks should I do to increase volume from 3V?

As stated, Mojo max volume is around 5Vrms. I think 4 or 5 clicks up gets you there. You could also just hold the volume up button until the colors stop changing.

hi Grumpyoldguy,

May I ask if the connected Computer has Optical Out, would that not be better than USB to address RFI/EMC interferance?

Optical would be better, yes.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #27,937 of 42,765
  Hi All

A quick question that I'm sure someone will have the answer to.

How does the Chord Mojo and FiiO X5ii combination combined with decent IEM's like the Sennheiser IE800's compare to higher end DAPS without additional amping with the same IEM's?

Regards

Darren

To give you an oversimplified answer: It really depends on the individual's sound preference and the IEM's synergy with the Mojo.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #27,938 of 42,765

You're missing the secret sauce here -- that cable claims it works with the Mojo SANS a CCK on iOS devices, so somehow it defeats Apple's MFi protection.

I'm curious so I ordered one, should be here on Thursday.  Great to simplify the setup to just using one 6" cable with not other connectors/adaptors.  And for new owners that would be quite a savings as a CCK is $30 which this is just $13.

Just received the cable.  It works!  Just a 6" cable, no CCK needed. http://www.head-fi.org/t/830035/meenova-lightning-to-microusb-cable-for-usb-dac-camera-midi-keyboard-connect-to-iphone-ipad-ipod

Sorry for the poor photo, my iPhone is my only 'camera', so I literally took a snap using photo booth on my mac.  

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #27,939 of 42,765
Please, I have to ask folks,

my new Mojo has a couple of issues.

• The power button does not depress quite right and has no solid movement or solid click-sound. It should have a nice solid-click when pressed. It turns the unit on and off OK, however the action is not right. It has a soft movement, which seems only about half a press down compared to normal buttons. It has a very soft click sometimes, and sometimes no click at all. If I had viewed this in a shop I would definitely have asked for another unit. I am worried it will fail.
  • The battery is not operating quite right either. The charge time of this battery is supposed to be four hours. However it takes six hours and twenty minutes to charge from empty to full. I am sure you can imagine how it could be a problem sometimes.

Please what do folks think? Should I return it or ask for part refund? Though I think a part refund would have to be quite hefty!

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #27,940 of 42,765
  Before I am on my way to pick up my Mojo this weekend, I just want to make sure it can drive Fostex T50RPMK3???
Have anyone tried it? Should I pick up T50RP? or Audioquest Nighthawk?
What do you guys think?

It can drive the Fostex with ease.

And while I don't have the Audioquest, there are several positively reported pairings of it with the Mojo.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #27,942 of 42,765
Before I am on my way to pick up my Mojo this weekend, I just want to make sure it can drive Fostex T50RPMK3???
Have anyone tried it? Should I pick up T50RP? or Audioquest Nighthawk?
What do you guys think?

As a supplement to HiFiChris's post, I own the Nighthawk and the Mojo drives the Nighthawk extremely easily. The Nighthawk are more sensitive than some IEMs and I love the pairing. I don't own the Fostex but based on the specs the Mojo should easily drive them as well. Honestly, the Mojo is a very powerful unit and these headphones are very easy for it's drive ability.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #27,943 of 42,765
Read the informative posts by Rob Watts in the third post of this thread. :wink_face:

It's a complex subject.

Edit: The most relevant section is the one titled 'Regarding Mojo's output stage'.

Edit2: A rough summary would be that the Mojo does not have a seperate amplification stage. Think of the Mojo more of a discrete DAC with the ability to drive headphones from it's line-out rather than a DAC/amp. The output stage (OP) is very simple with a very low output impedance (0.075Ohm) and the volume is controlled digitally from the FPGA and output from discrete DAC resulting a measurably very clean output with enough current and Vrms to drive a wide range of loads.

Brilliant design

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #27,944 of 42,765

• The power button does not depress quite right and has no solid movement or solid click-sound. It should have a nice solid-click when pressed. It turns the unit on and off OK, however the action is not right. It has a soft movement, which seems only about half a press down compared to normal buttons. It has a very soft click sometimes, and sometimes no click at all. If I had viewed this in a shop I would definitely have asked for another unit. I am worried it will fail.
  • The battery is not operating quite right either. The charge time of this battery is supposed to be four hours. However it takes six hours and twenty minutes to charge from empty to full. I am sure you can imagine how it could be a problem sometimes.

Please what do folks think? Should I return it or ask for part refund? Though I think a part refund would have to be quite hefty!

The four hours quoted is the primary charge and this will get you 95% of the charge; after the primary charge it goes into trickle charge mode, and this can take a few hours longer to finally leave trickle charge mode and the charge light to go off. So nothing to worry about from the charge POV. If its on at the same time it will take much longer to charge too, and will never leave trickle charge mode.

As to the power ball, it's possible it just needs some use to free up the ball.

Rob

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #27,945 of 42,765

The four hours quoted is the primary charge and this will get you 95% of the charge; after the primary charge it goes into trickle charge mode, and this can take a few hours longer to finally leave trickle charge mode and the charge light to go off. So nothing to worry about from the charge POV. If its on at the same time it will take much longer to charge too, and will never leave trickle charge mode.

As to the power ball, it's possible it just needs some use to free up the ball.

Rob

The round ball on the power button is not stuck. It rotates very freely as do the others. (I mean quite a few pages back I was asking if the balls were supposed to rattle so much. Mython answered.)

It's the action on the switch itself. There's no click and it only needs pushing down abut 1/3 the distance that the other buttons do. It's like the switch itself is squashed in, like it went a bit wrong in manufacturing. I am worried that it will fail. It's worrying that it will lose any downward action at all.

While it may be OK to say it might be OK. I would have passed this one over in a shop, (as this was mail order). I doubt other users would be totally sure it's OK.

Sorry, but I am just worrying out loud. I thought someone else might have thoughts.

I really don't recall my other Mojo taking more than about four hours to charge. However I am not so sure. I will time this one four hours and see what colour the battery LED shows. (This one runs cooler during charging I noticed and said a couple of weeks ago. I figured now that must be because it's charging slower.)

I am quite worried. I mean when you buy something, you want it right all round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back