Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #24,226 of 42,765
Sound stage, increase bass, increase top end.

Soundstage you could probably make a marginal argument for. Perhaps better isolation between wires can improve crosstalk performance. But I would still argue the difference in the cable would be so small as to be inaudible... That this probably would be dominated by things like trace routing on the board.

There is however absolutely zero valid explanation for increased bass or treble gain.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #24,227 of 42,765
  Sorry, not buying it. A 4" long USB cable can't influence enough to matter. I would agree spending more for a 4 ft. long one, but a very short good quality OTG should be OK.

No issue, after some years, when you get a chance to test a Silver OTG cable, then don't regret that why you didn't test it before :D

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #24,229 of 42,765

Sound stage, increase bass, increase top end.

Soundstage you could probably make a marginal argument for. Perhaps better isolation between wires can improve crosstalk performance. But I would still argue the difference in the cable would be so small as to be inaudible... That this probably would be dominated by things like trace routing on the board.

There is however absolutely zero valid explanation for increased bass or treble gain.

I have done AB with my friends and they have the same feeling like mine :)
I tested below Cables,

Monoprice,
Amazon basics,
Cheap OTG micro to micro from Ebay
A decent Micro to micro
And Silver OTG cable and also Chord's Stock cable..!!

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #24,230 of 42,765

I was about to say this, I can easily feel the difference in Bass and Soundstage !!

Nonsense. Pre-DAC this is only achieved using very specific math on the deserialized, buffered data.

I tend to think same way..
How can Zeros and Ones in binary can be different from cable to cable...
Either you will get full data or not,, there is no middle.........

But ...........................

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #24,231 of 42,765
Sorry, not buying it. A 4" long USB cable can't influence enough to matter. I would agree spending more for a 4 ft. long one, but a very short good quality OTG should be OK.
Then buy any cable and enjoy your music. I demoed ten different cables and easily can hear a difference.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #24,232 of 42,765

A/Bing by itself is not a valid test methodology. You would need to ABX, with a large number of trials with statistical analysis to test the hypothesis. And of course ABXing has it's own difficulties... Memory between tests for example. All we're left with is engineering principles... There is most assuredly nothing that supports the idea of serialized digital data changing in a manner so that certain frequencies are gained. It is completely nonsensical.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #24,233 of 42,765

A/Bing by itself is not a valid test methodology. You would need to ABX, with a large number of trials with statistical analysis to test the hypothesis. And of course ABXing has it's own difficulties... Memory between tests for example. All we're left with is engineering principles... There is most assuredly nothing that supports the idea of serialized digital data changing in a manner so that certain frequencies are gained. It is completely nonsensical.

I got it sir, i have also studied Stats.
Your sample size N>30, other wise your sample size will not be sufficient to prove any hypothesis.
Then i may get into Type I / II error. Blah blah blah.. ..

The point is i could feel the difference instantly. Period. 
I bought Mojo to enjoy music, if i am getting better sound with one specific cable, i will buy it else i am throttling the true output of Mojo.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #24,235 of 42,765
Your sample size N>30, other wise your sample size will not be sufficient to prove any hypothesis.

I bought Mojo to enjoy music, if i am getting better sound with one specific cable, i will buy it else i am throttling the true output of Mojo.

You're not getting the different sound as you describe it, you're getting the same sound. At least in terms of frequency response.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #24,237 of 42,765

I don't disagree with you necessarily, but this is an argument as old as Head Fi itself and in vain.  If someone perceives a subjective difference, even if it's purely psychological, then it is still a perceived difference to them.  The appearance of "Audio Jewelry" so to speak, may put a person in a better state of mind and better able to perceive quality that was already there.  Psychoacoustics is complex.  But you're not making some new revelatory argument that hasn't been made here already for at least a decade.

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #24,238 of 42,765

You're not getting the different sound as you describe it, you're getting the same sound. At least in terms of frequency response.

I said better sound, not different... All sounds in this world in between 20 Hz to 20 Khz which we can observe in best case....
Let's put a full stop on this argument. If possible, just one day test a Silver Otg cable with Mojo...maybe u will get your answer easily...

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #24,240 of 42,765
I said better sound, not different... All sounds in this world in between 20 Hz to 20 Khz which we can observe in best case....
Let's put a full stop on this argument. If possible, just one day test a Silver Otg cable with Mojo...maybe u will get your answer easily...

If something is better than something else, it is by definition different.

I despise the statement "you have to try it to understand it". We're all intelligent people here, we are more than capable of drawing a valid conclusion from understanding the engineering behind something. There is no sound argument supporting the idea that a silver USB cable changes the frequency response, while there is a substantial argument against it. Using your ears alone is too flawed of a methodology to make any type of valid conclusion about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back