Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #9,166 of 42,765
The DX80 pairs nicely with Mojo to my ears using Shure SE846 via coaxial and optical links improving in all aspects of SQ comparing to being on its own. The Mojo added space and details but I heard the Onkyo DP1 feeding usb into the Mojo and the improvement over what the DX80 can deliver is very noticable, it is a class act. If you have the chance try that to see how much better the Mojo can be via usb.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #9,167 of 42,765
From my experience with other devices like an iPod classic and laptops (not the Mojo), you shouldn't leave a lithium battery plugged in for weeks at a time. It will reduce the overall life of the battery and is very stressful. Not talking about overcharging here. It's like constantly revving your car engine to the red line while in park.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
My suggestion would be to charge it and let it run down and then plug it in when needed, perhaps at the yellow battery indicator. This will help the thermals from being constantly high and also be less stressful as there is no memory effect on Lithium batteries, meaning short multiple charges aren't harmful. You can't be using it 24/7 so let it rest a little. Chord has said the battery on the Mojo will 'top up' to 8.4V when the voltage gets to 8.2V.

Edit: I just want to be clear that this is not my experience with the Mojo but with a few other devices. Chord has said it's fine to run while plugged in and the thermal protection is more than adequate to prevent overheating. I'm just cautious now with all my battery powered devices.... Once bitten twice shy and all that.

Or follow the classic 40:80 Rule for lithium batteries...charge it when the battery indicator shows 40% and stop at 80% to maintain the optimum health of your gadgets' batteries.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #9,168 of 42,765
This cable, and some others (Lavricables?) have an included chip or something that duplicates the CCK function. Yes. It works without the CCK.

Edit: UPDATE: Literally as soon as I posted that, this cable cutout. Unplugging and plugging it back in restored it. It has happened again since. So, wanted you all to be aware. This is a known hazard with non-MfI licensed cables. If anyone else has experience with this one or others, p,ease post.

Also, had been listening to answer the sound question: on airplane mode, I cannot detect any difference between this cable and the cable that came with Mojo/CCK combination.

what do yoiu mean about restored it? the cable  didnt work after you unplug it? is it happen when the first time you unplugged it?

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #9,169 of 42,765
Or follow the classic 40:80 Rule for lithium batteries...charge it when the battery indicator shows 40% and stop at 80% to maintain the optimum health of your gadgets' batteries.

Yup. It's covered in the link I posted. :wink_face:

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #9,170 of 42,765
The DX80 pairs nicely with Mojo to my ears using Shure SE846 via coaxial and optical links improving in all aspects of SQ comparing to being on its own. The Mojo added space and details but I heard the Onkyo DP1 feeding usb into the Mojo and the improvement over what the DX80 can deliver is very noticable, it is a class act. If you have the chance try that to see how much better the Mojo can be via usb.

I'm in a constant search to get the best out of mojo and my equipment in general, I do notice an increase of quality when feeding mojo via USB from note 5, greater Quality than dx80.

I wish there was a easy silicone case for mojo, just like a basic protection. Surprised China doesn't make it

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #9,171 of 42,765
Thanks so much guys, I would tend to agree regarding the battery.  But after reading the posts by Chord themselves (linked in the 3rd post), I don't believe this is the case with the Mojo.

To save you the trouble, here are some particularly interesting quotes from this thread:

Mojo, like Hugo, has been designed so that you can have the charger plugged in constantly. So on a desktop charge and run it at the same time. Once its fully charged, the charger will just supply enough current to balance Mojo's current draw, so no net current from the battery.

Rob

Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

JF here thought I'd just chime in here the battery is perfectly safe right up to 160 degrees Centigrade we had it made that way and its costs more than other batteries. The case of the mojo when it's charging has to shed about 1. 7 watts of heat it can only do that by radiating it away or convecting it away. If it's in a warm environment or it can't covect its heat away it's temperature will rise until there is a sufficient temperature differential to shed its heat. It's perfectly safe we have three indepentdant thermal temperature safety shut down method in mojo so please don't worry we know what we are doing. Remember a really hot cup of tea is usually only about 60 degrees C.

These quotes lead me to believe that it is indeed safe and designed to work this way, I'm just really surprised at how hot it gets and would love some further reassurance that it is normal and safe :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #9,172 of 42,765
what do yoiu mean about restored it? the cable  didnt work after you unplug it? is it happen when the first time you unplugged it?

It happened while listening. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it worked again. Somehow it lost sync. It seems to work now, but may be a bit flakey. Just want to be sure people know what they are getting into with non-Mfi cables...it can be hit or miss.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #9,173 of 42,765
Thanks for the response. I actually read the FAQ and I think it said that this "issue" shouldn't arise when charging via laptop. I think I'll try another laptop when I get a chance..

p.s. maybe got a bit too carried away with mojo today/yesterday as it is 6am now and have to get up at 8.. :D

I could have sworn my Mojo was quiet while charging under all conditions the first 2 weeks I had it. The. One day I noticed the mechanical noise/buzz while charging. It seems to do it at all charging times now, whether powered on or off, but does not interfere with the music.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #9,174 of 42,765
Super happy with my super cheap transport stacked with my Mojo using the slimmer dual lock. 

I purchased this Sprint Moto E 2nd Gen with a microsd slot. It has NATIVE Android USB audio so you don't need UAPP to listen from the Mojo. Google Music works just perfectly like on my Nexus 6. It's on sale right now too for $39.99 shipped:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sprint-prepaid-motorola-moto-e-4g-with-8gb-memory-no-contract-cell-phone-black/2729581.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #9,175 of 42,765
Sheesh....I never encountered this kind of child pissing trick hissing sound as "pppppsssshhhh....pppppsssshhhh" before....lucky me roflmao. Thanks for the description

PMSL

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #9,176 of 42,765
when using the mojo via the lightning to usb camera adapter, connected to an iphone 6s+, the music doesnt get cut off a bit from time to time? i have a dx90 and at times it works without hiccup using it as dac/amp via the lightning kit and i'm able to listen to apple music, but every once in a while the music gets cuts off or fades a bit before going back. I would like to purchase the mojo, but would like to hear from users here who have used it on an iPhone 6s+ (ios 9.2) before i get it :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #9,178 of 42,765
Mojo stack ran out of juice and had to resort to my LG G3 whilst they are charging up. Holy crap, never realized how V-shaped sound is the G3, mids recessed and siblance on highs.
The main problem with great gear is that over a certain period of time, we take them for granted until you have to resort to everyday carry gear. I suppose that's also the main poison in this hobby where we are always seeking that new, special, sound.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #9,179 of 42,765
  Super happy with my super cheap transport stacked with my Mojo using the slimmer dual lock. 

I purchased this Sprint Moto E 2nd Gen with a microsd slot. It has NATIVE Android USB audio 

Thanks that has answered a question I had with regards to a cheap mobile device. The phones I currently own do not have SD support and I am looking to sell them on. I personally would install UAPP or something similar if you ever want to play FLAC, DSD or generall Hi-Res files. Google music will play the music you have in your Google Play Library but Google Music will not recognise Hi-Res files from my experience.

Originally Posted by zambz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These quotes lead me to believe that it is indeed safe and designed to work this way, I'm just really surprised at how hot it gets and would love some further reassurance that it is normal and safe :)

To answer your primary question, Yes it is safe. My Mojo gets quite hot at times but as Rob states it also contains a thermal cut out if temperatures get too high

Users who are viewing this thread

Back