Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 15, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #6,856 of 42,765
It certainly seems like Apple is trying to make sure that phones and tablets don't replace computer sales.  Not only is it hard to get USB I/O, there is little help for I/O and files in general.  I'm sure they would argue back that's because iOS wasn't designed as a computer operating system and lacks the features and capabilities to be one.  Microsoft and others are forcing Apple to re-think the line between i-devices and computers.  We shouldn't need to be even discussing this in an age when our refrigerators and ovens have CPUs and are on-line.

I'm just happy there's any kind of work-around to Apple's intrasigence on this issue.  I half expect them to sue some seller of the "illicit" cables.  To be clear I own many iDevices and computers and am not anti-Apple, I just think they have missed the train on issues like this one.  They can also be very Draconian in shaping a world that profits only Apple--no doubt about that.

Apple has every right to do whatever they want to their products and we the owners who have paid for and purchased their products have the right to do whatever we want with them as once we purchase it it's our property. If we have the right to destroy it, we have the right to hack it. I understand your frustrations with apple, i've had to find work around for many things over the years and my next phone will be an android. I'm stil running snow leopard on my 7 year old 15" macbook pro for a reason-they're new OS's (yosemite, etc) are absolutely worthless. Snow leopard just plain works, i never have errors with anythign, my wifi never drops out and it's never slow. Snow leopard was the best OS they've ever made, it's the reason why I've replaced the battery, harddrive and other components over the year instead of getting a new macbook pro. Same with my phone, it's running 8.0 and never has an issue ever.
Apple is a closed ecosystem and has always been designed that way. You can jump off the upgrade cycle (as you have done) but unlike Windows and Android Apple went down the route of creating software, OS and hardware together. In fact this is the biggest reason I got out of the ecosystem at the time of Snow Leopard, I had a hardware issue and paid over £300 to watch apple do the same support on an imac I'd already done (and not fix it)... I'm quite a hands on guy and build my own computers (including a hackintosh) so I went back to Windows where I could do that properly and found that as I detached parts of my digital self the apple tie ups and integrations became less and less compelling :)

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #6,857 of 42,765
Same signal path, different voltage. Highest volume is more voltage. Don't worry about double amping.

So if i am connecting to Active speakers, is it advisable to use Line out always ?

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #6,858 of 42,765
  Yep.

I saw that, too.

Someone's gonna have to get a round in, at some point!
biggrin.gif

The TotalDAC is more musically than the Mojo (IMHO), but doesn't have as much detail, so it might cost him a bottle of bolly

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #6,860 of 42,765
So if i am connecting to Active speakers, is it advisable to use Line out always ?

Again, to be clear, the Mojo is always line out. If your speakers can handle the 3V setting then just set it to the line level shortcut of 3V when powering on. If 3V is too much for the active speakers then press the volume down about four times to output approximately 2V which is more standard for a line out voltage.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #6,861 of 42,765
Again, to be clear, the Mojo is always line out. If your speakers can handle the 3V setting then just set it to the line level shortcut of 3V when powering on. If 3V is too much for the active speakers then press the volume down about four times to output approximately 2V which is more standard for a line out voltage.

Thanks a lott, now i got all my answers :)

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #6,862 of 42,765
I would because then you know the starting volume of the source, changing volume on my Genelec speakers themselves was always a recipe for sore ears when I switched to a line out source next time!

Thanks, i hope my Genelec can survive 3V line out :)

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #6,866 of 42,765
I think Relic will be a millionaire if he got a penny for every time he had to mention the analogue output stage and line out haha

Strictly speaking I won't call it as a 'always line-out'. To be line level, it usually means the signal is at its strongest and cleanest (highest SNR / dynamic with lowest distortion), so clearly it should only be at a particular level of signal strength. I am more inclined to call it a variable output with near line level quality. But I guess this is probably more of a question on semantic.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #6,867 of 42,765

Same signal path, different voltage. Highest volume is more voltage. Don't worry about double amping.

I just set my active speakers at the default volume and use the Mojo to control the volume instead. The line out setting is just a fixed volume setting, nothing more. It is rather redundant IMO as you may as well just set an appropriate volume and it will stay at that volume even when switched off and on again.

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #6,868 of 42,765
I found a usb-b cable that I can connect to mojo- it came with one of my cameras. It has one of those built in magnets in the cable. Would that help with RF interference?

Update: I'm noticing a little less RF bu most importantly the RF I do notice is at a much lower volume. This cable is about 2ft long with magnet about 3.5" from the mojo with the cable plugged in. I never stack.

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #6,870 of 42,765
has anybody tried feeding mojo directly to a power amp ? how difficult it is to use the mojo volume control in such set up ? since mojo has only headphone out, how common ground of left and right channel of mojo's headphone out would affect the soundstage and small spatial cues ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back