Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 15, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #6,886 of 42,765
After close to a month with my Mojo, I can confirm that the treble brightness has settled down, but still retains excellent detail; snare drums, bells, tambourines are all crisp.

It could very well be that the Mojo obviates my need for a desktop DAC/AMP and could be replacing my Bifrost Uber (the multi-bit is enticing) and LH Labs Geek Pulse Sfi (it has femto clocks); freedom from the desktop ! heck, it costs as much, if not more than those each.

I find listening to music sitting on my sofa to be more relaxing than sitting in a listening-chair in front of a computer.

I have to agree that it sounds better (more musical) compared to my Geek Pulse Xfi.
Haven't touched the Geek Pulse since i did some A/B testing with my Fostex TH600s.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #6,887 of 42,765

People sort if devised a protection against that. They strap a card across the top of the Mojo using elastic bands.

By the way did you and @Massacare read post 6817 and 6822. Rob Watts has explained why the Mojo loses the first second of music and also how it can be fixed.

@Rob Watts thank you very much for the fix missing one second fix. I have not tried it yet because I still didn't open my Mojo. I am hoping that either Massacar, salla45, or @Nitrile will be able to test it.Then I think I will be happy to proceed.

Thanks. maybe a heath-robinson type fix is possible. I would perhaps sugru it up, but am loathe to spoil it's lines!

thanks for the pointer on the missing beat fix. will check it!!

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6,888 of 42,765
I use an iPhone 6 to listen through hifiman HE400s, hifiman RE600s, and PSB M4U-2s. Would I see a significant increase in sound quality with the Mojo?

Definitely.

People sort if devised a protection against that. They strap a card across the top of the Mojo using elastic bands.

By the way did you and @Massacare read post 6817 and 6822. Rob Watts has explained why the Mojo loses the first second of music and also how it can be fixed.

@Rob Watts thank you very much for the fix missing one second fix. I have not tried it yet because I still didn't open my Mojo. I am hoping that either Massacar, salla45, or @Nitrile will be able to test it.Then I think I will be happy to proceed.

I have tested it and it works well for Foobar. However, gapless play is affected. I'm happy to live with this issue as it only affects the first track I start to play.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #6,889 of 42,765

Definitely.

I have tested it and it works well for Foobar. However, gapless play is affected. I'm happy to live with this issue as it only affects the first track I start to play.

I don't understand. If you follow what Rob Watts said Matt instructs then you should not lose the first second anymore.

I was thinking that once the first second is cured, the rest should be OK. Meaning if I jump from track to track there should be no second of audio missing. I hope so because the sampling rate wouldn't change in that case I hope.

Otherwise it would be a deal breaker for me if I lost the first second of every track I selected. In my case my music is CD rip so I shouldn't experience it anyway. Being the sample rate of the music is the same as the Windows sounds. I hope someone can confirm that for me.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,890 of 42,765
I don't understand. If you follow what Rob Watts said Matt instructs then you should not lose the first second anymore.

I was thinking that once teh first second is cured, the rest should be OK. Meaning if I jump from track to track there should be no second of audio missing. I hope so because the sampling rate wouldn't change in that case I hope.

Otherwise it would be a deal breaker for me if I lost the first second of every track I selected. In my case my music is CD rip so I shouldn't experience it anyway. Being the sample rate of the music is the same as the Windows sounds. I hope someone can confirm that for me.

You could have been enjoying quality music for weeks. Why don't you just open Mojo box?

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #6,892 of 42,765
I had same experience with Hugo. It just seemed to get better and better, and took 9 months before the feeling of improvements stopped. Funny thing was it was not break in as new Hugo sounded the same. My assumption was my brain breaking in to the way that Hugo recreated transients which was quite different to any other dac before.
I expect Mojo to be the same.
Rob

Hi Rob, Interesting that you responded to my post. I can in this situation feel a sadness that English is not a language that I naturally can express myself in with the nuances I'd like right now. But I'm thankful for Google Translate that still allows me to write reasonably understandable.

I think you are on to something. I think the next step in the quest of perfection in sound lies in the understanding of the brain and how it interprets auditory impression. And if we go even deeper, it's probably in brain chemistry that we need to look for the answers. I have often marveled at how one moment can be immensely enjoying the music. and at another time with exactly the same technical conditions only hear sound.

My thought is that it is my state of mind, in other words the chemicals in the brain that gives so totally different experiences. I saw an interview with you and John and it was really interesting. It will be extremely exciting to see what you can together with all your knowledge.

Maybe we'll meet in London 30/1 on Headroom? And thank you for giving me the opportunity to enjoy music the way a can with your cration/ Johnny

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,893 of 42,765
Hi Rob, Interesting that you responded to my post. I can in this situation feel a sadness that English is not a language that I naturally can express myself in with the nuances I'd like right now. But I'm thankful for Google Translate that still allows me to write reasonably understandable.

I think you are on something. I think the next step in the quest of perfection in sound lies in the understanding of the brain and how it interprets auditory impression. And if we go even deeper, it's probably in brain chemistry that we need to look for the answers. I have often marveled at how one moment can be immensely enjoying the music. and at another time with exactly the same technical conditions only hear sound.

My thought is that it is my state of mind, in other words the chemicals in the brain that gives so totally different experiences. I saw an interview with you and John and it was really interesting. It will be extremely exciting to see what you can together with all your knowledge.

Maybe we'll meet in London 30/1 on Headroom? And thank you for giving me the opportunity to enjoy music the way a can with your cration/ Johnny

I recently fell asleep with the Mojo playing, woke up after a couple of hours, music still playing and I swear it was the clearest, sweetest sound i'd ever heard so maybe state of mind counts for a lot. I also know if i'm tired everything sounds bad.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #6,895 of 42,765
I don’t have mojo (would have tried it were ipod classic an option), but I have a setup with which I seem to enjoy the audio more than the music. That’s when I know I have a winner on hand and possibly an end-game tweaking. It just wows me freshly every day.

With adequate separations, I think it’s all about dynamics with excellent extensions on both ends and an energetic/lively treble. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #6,896 of 42,765
I'm finding the Mojo a very addictive listen and it's got me exploring albums I've not tried for ages and discovering loads of new detail.

That's a good summary of my own experience :)

I also find that it's consistent across all kind of music, which has not necessarily been my experience with other sources...
Aside from details I would say music is simply enjoyable with the Mojo, you forget the gear and it's all about the music!

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #6,899 of 42,765
I can confirm that ferrite(I think they're called that) USB type cables help dramatically with EMI/RF interference.  I ran some tests by having some browsers/twitter/etc running and I had some loose ferrite cable clasps.  I had previously removed them from old cables.  They don't have to be tight around the cable at all so fit doesn't really matter.  While the RF/EMI interference is ongoing, simply waving the ferrite around the cable stops most of it and lowers the volume of what remains of it.  Not sure if ferrite it harmful to mojo or not.  I would assume it's not since it's used in tons of cables.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #6,900 of 42,765
After close to a month with my Mojo, I can confirm that the treble brightness has settled down, but still retains excellent detail; snare drums, bells, tambourines are all crisp.

It could very well be that the Mojo obviates my need for a desktop DAC/AMP and could be replacing my Bifrost Uber (the multi-bit is enticing) and LH Labs Geek Pulse Sfi (it has femto clocks); freedom from the desktop ! heck, it costs as much, if not more than those each.

I find listening to music sitting on my sofa to be more relaxing than sitting in a listening-chair in front of a computer.

My experience as well, treble has mellowed and bass is a bit more pronounced IMO.  Just the way I like it.

Is there anything special about the provided Chord USB-B cable?  I tested it against a bunch I found in the closet and my cable that has the ferrite device sounds noticeably more bassy.  I looped the same couple seconds over and over with the chord vs the ferrite cable and noticed the same effect.  The vtech ferrite cable was more bassy, is this possible or just my mind? The vetch cable is also about 4x longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back