Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 17, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #5,252 of 42,765
hi gents.

am still struggle for a cheap solution to connect coax out from fiio to mojo. I am trying to avoid the 100$ solution offered by a certain shop/supplier known here. 

I have the 4pole to RCA adapter jobby, an adapter for male-male, then another adapter to take rca back to 3.5mm 2 pole.

As per pics it's very cumbersome and pretty unusable as a portable solution, moreover, I am worried about stressing the socket with the unwieldy combo of adapters.

Any pointers to make any of these connections less 'orrible, without costing 1/5 of what I paid for the mojo ? :)

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #5,253 of 42,765
I think the most portable option for this thing is the AK100. I mean, they're nearly identical in size. chord must've decided on the form factor with consideration of that DAP. The AK100 is relatively cheap now ($400 new), relatively obsolete (doesn't compare to the most of what's out these days) and wouldn't compete with the mojo in any way (from a sound quality perspective). It's a perfect transport for the mojo.

It's very unlikely that Chord would pay attention to the form factor of a DAP that isn't even a current model. I think they have said that their intended market was mobile phones. My belief is that the reason the form factor does not match up with a mobile is down to the battery. It is the battery that defined the shape of the Pono and to a lesser extent the Hugo.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #5,254 of 42,765
I think the most portable option for this thing is the AK100. I mean, they're nearly identical in size. chord must've decided on the form factor with consideration of that DAP. The AK100 is relatively cheap now ($400 new), relatively obsolete (doesn't compare to the most of what's out these days) and wouldn't compete with the mojo in any way (from a sound quality perspective). It's a perfect transport for the mojo.

what about connections between the AK100 and the Mojo? Im finding the interconnects between these things is the single most frustrating thing about the whole protable head-fi game. We have these wonderful and ergonomic products and they can't talk to each other without protruding cabling risking fracture of jacks and such.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #5,255 of 42,765
hi gents.

am still struggle for a cheap solution to connect coax out from fiio to mojo. I am trying to avoid the 100$ solution offered by a certain shop/supplier known here. 

I have the 4pole to RCA adapter jobby, an adapter for male-male, then another adapter to take rca back to 3.5mm 2 pole.

As per pics it's very cumbersome and pretty unusable as a portable solution, moreover, I am worried about stressing the socket with the unwieldy combo of adapters.

Any pointers to make any of these connections less 'orrible, without costing 1/5 of what I paid for the mojo ? :)

Give ClieOS a PM. He just made one for the X7 to the Mojo and it shares the same coaxial configuration as the other FiiO TRRS digital coaxial jacks. Perhaps he can help you.

Here's the link to his post on the cable:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782490/fiio-x7-preview-world-tour-poll-on-apps-whitelisting-policy-added-2015-10-29/555#post_12081271

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5,256 of 42,765
Give @ClieOS a PM. He just made one for the X7 to the Mojo and it shares the same coaxial configuration as the other FiiO TRRS digital coaxial jacks. Perhaps he can help you.

Here's the link to his post on the cable:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782490/fiio-x7-preview-world-tour-poll-on-apps-whitelisting-policy-added-2015-10-29/555#post_12081271

thanks! Ill pm him, but we really need those connectors to be right angled. Other wise you get stress on both ends with protruding cabling. Its a bit of a nightmare! 

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #5,257 of 42,765
thanks! Ill pm him, but we really need those connectors to be right angled. Other wise you get stress on both ends with protruding cabling. Its a bit of a nightmare! 

The problem is that any decent right angled TRRS plug we can use will have a size larger than any straight plug. Also, the mini coax cable will probably not be flexible enough to bend too much with right angled plug. The isn't any ideal solution that I can think of.

On another note, just got myself some (a) Mojo! :)

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #5,258 of 42,765
The problem is that any decent right angled TRRS plug we can use will have a size larger than any straight plug. Also, the mini coax cable will probably not be flexible enough to bend too much with right angled plug. The isn't any ideal solution that I can think of.

On another note, just got myself some (a) Mojo! :)

aha. thanks for this. (i guess i won't need to PM you after all :wink: )

i guess we'll have to wait for the mojo DAP :) - I have a 2nd solution which is to use it with my S4 or S5 samsungs, the S4 is currently favourite, as I can permanently keep it in Flight Mode and enjoy it as a DAP connected by a discrete USB OTG cable. Maybe the coax-coax option will have to be a longer term project... connectors from hither and thither and I may need to acquire a soldering iron!

Enjoy your mojo!!!

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #5,260 of 42,765
I just auditioned them here in Melbourne.
I may look into a 2nd hand pair in the coming year though if I can scrape some more funds together.
Might be a few on the market with the new hd800 coming to market.
Very comfortable too

I was thinking of finally investing in a pair of hd800 but you say there is a new version on the horizon?

Are there any details / resources yet?

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #5,261 of 42,765

Just joined the club... say "bye-bye" to overpriced daps... rocking it with my lowly ipod touch + fiio L19.....
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #5,262 of 42,765
There are a few which I showed earlier in this thread and use that are a little cheaper. However I am not able to player dsd over PoM on iOS 9.1. It works on iOS 9. Even via my cck kit I am still unable to play dsd direct on 9.1. Could you try or do you have any dsd to see if it works on this cable?

It's sad that the fiio l19 cable is delayed yet again. There are units shipping and available in Korea.....

I proved to myself the other day (post 4631) that I could play DSD over PoM using Onkyo HD. I did this partly because someone asked for proof that the MOJO power button did turn white and partly because I had discussed your problem with you earlier. I didn't have any native DSD material so I used JRiver to convert an ALAC for me.

Using iOS 9.1 on the latest model (64-bit) iPod via the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter.

Ian

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #5,263 of 42,765

It's very unlikely that Chord would pay attention to the form factor of a DAP that isn't even a current model. I think they have said that their intended market was mobile phones. My belief is that the reason the form factor does not match up with a mobile is down to the battery. It is the battery that defined the shape of the Pono and to a lesser extent the Hugo.

I hear ya dude. It's just uncanny how perfectly sized these two devices are. But, I'm MORE than willing to chalk it up to a coincidence. 

But, I disagree with what I bolded in your quote above - why would Chord pay attention to the form factor of a DAP that IS a current model? Any DAP being used with the Mojo is being relegated to transport duty. Buying a modern DAP at a "modern" price would be unwise if the intent is to pair to a Mojo. I know they're saying their intended market is the mobile phone market but, this thing is nowhere near the appropriate size for that to be an elegant solution (no offense to those using a phone with their mojo!). Attracting the mobile phone market is just... well... marketing. :wink: Hell, we're hearing people bum about EMI noise when used with cellphones. I just don't really buy it. 

Regarding the battery - they lay the battery right on top of the PCB in the Mojo, right? Why not lay it next to the PCB, making the Mojo longer, and more form fitting for a phone? In a world where our cellphones seem to be getting bigger and bigger it seems like that would've been the way to go if matting the mojo with a cell phone was really the intention, no?

Monday morning quarterbacking engineering choices is fun! 
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #5,264 of 42,765
  what about connections between the AK100 and the Mojo? Im finding the interconnects between these things is the single most frustrating thing about the whole protable head-fi game. We have these wonderful and ergonomic products and they can't talk to each other without protruding cabling risking fracture of jacks and such.

Agreed - though I do find the Moon-audio ak100/120-mojo toslink cable a pretty reasonable solution. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #5,265 of 42,765
I hear ya dude. It's just uncanny how perfectly sized these two devices are. But, I'm MORE than willing to chalk it up to a coincidence. 

But, I disagree with what I bolded in your quote above - why would Chord pay attention to the form factor of a DAP that IS a current model? Any DAP being used with the Mojo is being relegated to transport duty. Buying a modern DAP at a "modern" price would be unwise if the intent is to pair to a Mojo. I know they're saying their intended market is the mobile phone market but, this thing is nowhere near the appropriate size for that to be an elegant solution (no offense to those using a phone with their mojo!). Attracting the mobile phone market is just... well... marketing. :wink: Hell, we're hearing people bum about EMI noise when used with cellphones. I just don't really buy it. 

Regarding the battery - they lay the battery right on top of the PCB in the Mojo, right? Why not lay it next to the PCB, making the Mojo longer, and more form fitting for a phone? In a world where our cellphones seem to be getting bigger and bigger it seems like that would've been the way to go if matting the mojo with a cell phone was really the intention, no?

Monday morning quarterbacking engineering choices is fun! :p

Makes no logical sense to me at all, who in the right mind would designed something on a product that is obsolete and no longer made? Do you still see mobile phone accessories company still investing toolings to make mobile phone case for iPhone 4?
I think logical is Chord just wanted to designed the Mojo as small as possible hence this design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back