Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 17, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #5,236 of 42,765
Can I just check With some of the experienced users what sample rate colour should I get with streaming Apple Music. I have had a bit of trouble getting mojo to work so I'm not sure if all is ok. Thanks in advance.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #5,237 of 42,765
Can I just check With some of the experienced users what sample rate colour should I get with streaming Apple Music. I have had a bit of trouble getting mojo to work so I'm not sure if all is ok. Thanks in advance.

You should see the power button as red. The sampling rate indicators are on the box. All music from Apple is 16/44.

This is just my personal take on the matter but I'd feed the Mojo much better source files than Apple Music. It's been known to use very low bit rates automatically depending on the connection speed (sometimes as low as 64 Kbps), but it's all 16bit/44 kHz sampling rate from Apple. Even purchased music downloaded from iTunes to your storage would be a better bet IMO. If you're happy with the sound that's cool, just my $0.02.

:beerchug:

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #5,238 of 42,765

How are you connecting? Through what type of source and using what type of cable? I couldn't get my Windows 7 laptop to recognise the mojo last night through a catalogue of errors on my part. 1 the Mojo had no battery left 2 I was asked if I wanted to use Windows Update to find the latest driver and I said no and 3 when I downloaded the driver myself, got it connected to the mains and fired up I didnt think to restart the laptop. Once I did all was working fine.
On a Macbook it's always worked fine other than when I've plugged the usb into the charging port rather than the input port. I sincerely hope I'm not alone in all these **** ups!

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #5,239 of 42,765
Had a listen to some hd800 through the mojo directly today.
I haven't heard the hd800 prior but I must say I was more than happy with the sound produced. It didn't seem overly lacking in any regard. That said I have not reference point using a desktop setup but I could certainly consider it as my home rig lol

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #5,241 of 42,765
I haven't heard the hd800 prior but I must say I was more than happy with the sound produced. It didn't seem overly lacking in any regard. That said I have not reference point using a desktop setup but I could certainly consider it as my home rig lol

it's not a bad home setup is it☺ and it's battery driven setup that can be taken anywhere. It'll survive a power cut and will always provide a clean signal . We're you testing the HD800s or have you bought them? They are great through the Mojo aswell as using just the Dac part into an amp.
The Senns look very big against the Mojo. .....

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #5,242 of 42,765
it's not a bad home setup is it☺ and it's battery driven setup that can be taken anywhere. It'll survive a power cut and will always provide a clean signal . We're you testing the HD800s or have you bought them? They are great through the Mojo aswell as using just the Dac part into an amp.
The Senns look very big against the Mojo. .....

I just auditioned them here in Melbourne.
I may look into a 2nd hand pair in the coming year though if I can scrape some more funds together.
Might be a few on the market with the new hd800 coming to market.
Very comfortable too

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #5,244 of 42,765
They are sure to go down in price, are incredibly easy to mod if you want to experiment with altering the sound signature and will always be a great headphone regardless of what flavour of the month is out there

Till now yet to see Chord Hugo lowering it's price.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #5,245 of 42,765

It is truly incredibly and astonishingly and tremindously high value that Mojo is making that unmusical POS HD800 sound not lacking in any department. Marvelous and magnification. thanks,

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #5,246 of 42,765
ONE RING (cable) TO RULE THEM ALL

For all Apple iDevice owners using the Chord Mojo, I just received this silver interconnect from Konstantin at Lavricable. I am using an iPod Touch 6th generation (also tested it with an iPhone 6) running iOS 9.1 and it works flawlessly with iTunes, TuneShell and Onkyo HiFi Player apps.

I do not want to start a cable war discussion but I also honestly believe in a material sonic improvement using this interconnect (especially in the clarity) from using Apple's CCK connection. My cost including shipping for the cable was $100. For a pure silver interconnect that is very reasonable price compared to even standard interconnects.

If anyone is interested Konstantin's email is lavricables@gmail.com. It took only a week to get the cable from Latvia to the United States. Further I speak from experience that Konstantin is both honest and a pleasure to deal with via email.

Just wanted to back up spook76 on this excellent post. I tried the Lavricables silver interconnect and the SQ was, to my ears, noticeably better. Underlines my view that the weak link in connecting iPhone to anything is the CCK, even with upgraded cable from CCK to DAC/amp (I use either an ALO or a Moon Audio interconnect with the CCK and they are both good, but the sound was better with the Lavricables interconnect). The silver interconnect is also a more compact solution, at around 3" long and no extra cable needed.

As it happens, I had an issue with mine so returned it and Konstantin gave me an immediate refund and set to work testing. I think the issue may have been a software one or my actual iPhone, since I've also noticed sporadic connection problem with CCK. So I can also confirm that Konstantin is a pleasure to deal with even of there is an issue, and I'm tempted to order another one and give it another try.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #5,247 of 42,765
It is truly incredibly and astonishingly and tremindously high value that Mojo is making that unmusical POS HD800 sound not lacking in any department. Marvelous and magnification. thanks,

Hi - unmusical POS? What on earth are you using with it to make it sound unmusical? Never mind it did the trick, it brought a smile to my face
smile.gif

Till now yet to see Chord Hugo lowering it's price.

Hiya, I completely agree with you . The Sennheiser HD800 was what I was talking about being lower in price at least 2nd hand once the HD800S rolls out. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #5,248 of 42,765
Thanks for the response. Got connection working. Seems a bit temperamental with the connecting/opening music app order. Power button lit up red as you indicated. Does tidal stream at a higher rate? I tried that but also get a red light. Realise streaming services aren't the best source but this is my first dac experience and I haven't sorted out a higher quality library yet. Any suggestions on app/file spec for iphone6s. I can't wait for an alternative to the cck. Cheers

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #5,250 of 42,765
The real portable benefit will come when Chord undertakes a joint venture with a DAP manufacturer...

I think the most portable option for this thing is the AK100. I mean, they're nearly identical in size. chord must've decided on the form factor with consideration of that DAP. The AK100 is relatively cheap now ($400 new), relatively obsolete (doesn't compare to the most of what's out these days) and wouldn't compete with the mojo in any way (from a sound quality perspective). It's a perfect transport for the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back