Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 17, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #5,281 of 42,765

Looks like the form fit one Moon has, I've got it for mine.  

I have been researching DAP's with digital output, and it is all good up to 24/192 i think but how do you manage DSD, I have a bunch of DSD64 and they need some kind of down processing to go thru and optical cable. What do you recommend?

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #5,287 of 42,765
I proved to myself the other day (post 4631) that I could play DSD over PoM using Onkyo HD. I did this partly because someone asked for proof that the MOJO power button did turn white and partly because I had discussed your problem with you earlier. I didn't have any native DSD material so I used JRiver to convert an ALAC for me.

Using iOS 9.1 on the latest model (64-bit) iPod via the Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter.

Ian

I just managed to get another cable today. Strangely this one works totally fine with Onkyo HF player which outputs DSD over PoM. The mojo shows white and Onkyo shows DSD output and the sound it great.  My CCK kit with my USB cable (not the Chord included one) has sound distortion understand the same connections and my other 2 cables cant play dsd when converted to 24/192 or 24/384 but not directly on my IOS 9.1.  But strangely works on my older Iphone 5S with IOS 9.0.  So it seems like cable "quality" matters.  Whats that left for me to test is using another usb cable with my CCK kit.  

This is the latest one I tried that fully works with high res PCM and DSD over PoM.  Note that I have nothing to do with these folks. I am just looking for a short cable that works for my travelling requirements. If the Fiio L19 works, that would likely be the one I be getting. May contact Lavcable but I prefer one that has right angle connectors. New business idea Chord :p

http://world.taobao.com/item/43233663546.htm?fromSite=main

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #5,288 of 42,765
  I just managed to get another cable today. Strangely this one works totally fine with Onkyo HF player which outputs DSD over PoM. The mojo shows white and Onkyo shows DSD output and the sound it great.  My CCK kit with my USB cable (not the Chord included one) has sound distortion understand the same connections and my other 2 cables cant play dsd when converted to 24/192 or 24/384 but not directly on my IOS 9.1.  But strangely works on my older Iphone 5S with IOS 9.0.  So it seems like cable "quality" matters.  Whats that left for me to test is using another usb cable with my CCK kit.  

This is the latest one I tried that fully works with high res PCM and DSD over PoM.  Note that I have nothing to do with these folks. I am just looking for a short cable that works for my travelling requirements. If the Fiio L19 works, that would likely be the one I be getting. May contact Lavcable but I prefer one that has right angle connectors. New business idea Chord :p

http://world.taobao.com/item/43233663546.htm?fromSite=main

What is PoM?

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #5,291 of 42,765
  More impression update:

Calyx M vs Mojo:
After a long period of absence from listening to calyx M (roughly about amonth) I took out the calyx M from its storage case. Last time when I put it in the case it was fully charge, now it was down to 20-30% so it conforms for me that calyx M does discharge its battery over time. However not a problem I have a dedicated external battery power for it.
I have lately got the Mojo and initially I thought they both sound the same albeit Mojo sounding better in terms of producing a more layering and overall presentation. A while passed and I am more familiar with Mojo. I can say with a more confidence that I was wrong, calyx M is in no way inferior to Mojo. Mojo performance varies with different digital input, for its size Mojo is a beast of a device when it comes to providing raw power however I am an IEM user and calyx M is able to drive my IEM just fine. 
I think Mojo sounds too thick for its own good, it has amazing layering but end of the day small soundstage paired with thick layered sound does not provide a fun listen.

HUGO is still the benchmark for me when it comes to portability and reference performance. Mojo loves to be paired with headphone, infact it is with headphone that I had it sounding best. Something like the AKG K812 to me compensates for the thick sound of Mojo and improves on the soundstage. AKG k812 and headphone of such nature arent quiet portable and to me that defeats the purpose.

Have you tried taming the beast with some EQ?

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #5,292 of 42,765

Have you tried taming the beast with some EQ?

More impression update:

Calyx M vs Mojo:
After a long period of absence from listening to calyx M (roughly about amonth) I took out the calyx M from its storage case. Last time when I put it in the case it was fully charge, now it was down to 20-30% so it conforms for me that calyx M does discharge its battery over time. However not a problem I have a dedicated external battery power for it.
I have lately got the Mojo and initially I thought they both sound the same albeit Mojo sounding better in terms of producing a more layering and overall presentation. A while passed and I am more familiar with Mojo. I can say with a more confidence that I was wrong, calyx M is in no way inferior to Mojo. Mojo performance varies with different digital input, for its size Mojo is a beast of a device when it comes to providing raw power however I am an IEM user and calyx M is able to drive my IEM just fine. 
I think Mojo sounds too thick for its own good, it has amazing layering but end of the day small soundstage paired with thick layered sound does not provide a fun listen.

HUGO is still the benchmark for me when it comes to portability and reference performance. Mojo loves to be paired with headphone, infact it is with headphone that I had it sounding best. Something like the AKG K812 to me compensates for the thick sound of Mojo and improves on the soundstage. AKG k812 and headphone of such nature arent quiet portable and to me that defeats the purpose.

I'm surprised that you don't find the AKG K3003's a fun listen with the Mojo? I'm just finding the synergy electrifying. I can understand your comments though, the mojo is full sounding imho and probably does sound thick with less revealing phones. S'why we're getting comments of synergy also with HD800's etc. Interesting indeed!

EDIT... thinking about it, the Class A amp does lend itself to pairing with leaner transducers. I had a fabulous Musical Fidelity class A amp back in the 90's, it just got so hot in the end, just kept tripping out, lol. Wonderful, mellifluous sound, Mojo reminds me of that. Oddly enough I paired the amp with a Deltec DAC, the PDM1, if I remember the first commercially available dac from Rob Watts. Hah! great times!

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #5,293 of 42,765
Not sure what PoM is, I always thought it was DoP (DSD over PCM)??

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #5,294 of 42,765
Nov 18, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #5,295 of 42,765

Hi guys, I saw this posted and I'm not sure if it could work but the person who posted this mentioned that he could get the Beyer T1 to run balanced out of the Mojo via the 2 SE connectors. Has anyone tried this and does it really work as "balanced"?
Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back