Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #5,041 of 42,765

If the amp output balanced from a SE input which a number amps that have balanced out can do, then you are listening to balanced. 

thanks

from ifi it goes like this --rca output from ifi to balanced rsa input into alo mk3b then rsa out balanced into audeze

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #5,042 of 42,765
Ok...at the meet in CT and I bought the to go cable and I still can not get the mojo to work with my SAMSUNG NOTE 4?? HELP!!!

Q: I have an Android device, a USB DAC and a USB OTG cable which are reportedly compatible, but I have not been able to make it work. Is there a trick to make it work?

R: ...

FAQ
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
http://goo.gl/A4dCnP

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #5,043 of 42,765
I can sort of see (well, hear!) the point people are making about the amp section, I will confess openly that my Pure II+ has way more headroom, power and clarity compared to the onboard amp, then again, should be considered that the amp on its own costs the same, if not slightly more than the mojo (depending on your market) so I would be upset if it wasn't better!

That being said, you have arguably a world class DAC and a pretty damned decent amp enclosed in a really small package for what is ultimately a very modest price...

You shouldn't be disappointed with it out of the box, but always consider that it has a line out mode for a reason, and if you have a good enough amp that still fits in your pocket (thankfully the Vorzuge fits in a very similar footprint!) then why not, best of both worlds :)

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #5,044 of 42,765
I wonder if the cable is faulty? As previously, no issues here with my Note 4...

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #5,045 of 42,765
With the CDM you can't do this. You have to use a balanced source or use the USB input and CDM DAC in order to get balanced output IME. With the Mojo as an analog input I have to use the CDM's SE input and listen to the CDM SE. Cheers.

You can use SE input on CDM and balanced output. It works well and expand soundstage with Hugo.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,046 of 42,765
Has anyone tried Shure SE846 with the Mojo. Good synergy ??

Also any hint of hiss with those or any other sensitive IEMs.

Thanks

The SE846 sounds wonderful through the Mojo (I have both).

And yes, there is some very low-level hiss with the SE846/Mojo pairing.  That said, it's very quiet, it isn't volume dependent (turning up the output doesn't increase the volume of the hiss) and the same hiss is also present with the SE846 through the RSA Intruder and ALO Int+ OE.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5,048 of 42,765
My Mojo has landed - now to figure out which IEM/CIEM to try first....

V6-Stage + Toxic Silver Widow?

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #5,050 of 42,765
Since you can't buy the cool Van Nuys Mojo "ball guard" outside of Japan I decided to go the DIY route. Clearly not as pretty but just as effective. Now I can carry the Mojo in my pocket with less likelihood of the volume or power balls getting pressed accidentally, also don't risk the bands slipping down onto the balls and either blasting my ears our turning the Mojo off.

Materials were a scrap piece of PP sheet (from an old storage box lid - hence the beautiful purple color) and a piece of thin silicone rubber sheet. I purposefully scratched up the surface of the plastic sheet to make the bands less likely to slip. Pretty easy to make a template out of paper by tracing the Mojo and then transfer the template to the plastic sheet. Cutting a stiff enough piece of plastic is the hardest part. The silicone sheet is added to both reduce the likelihood of the plastic slipping and also to protect the surface of the Mojo. Decided that cutting out the oval in the middle to let the "Mojo" graphic show through wasn't worth the effort. Also sanded down the edges of the plastic with fine-grained sandpaper to give it a better feel. All in all took about 30 minutes.

Cheers

What a beautiful set of blue balls!

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #5,051 of 42,765
I can sort of see (well, hear!) the point people are making about the amp section, I will confess openly that my Pure II+ has way more headroom, power and clarity compared to the onboard amp, then again, should be considered that the amp on its own costs the same, if not slightly more than the mojo (depending on your market) so I would be upset if it wasn't better!

That being said, you have arguably a world class DAC and a pretty damned decent amp enclosed in a really small package for what is ultimately a very modest price...

You shouldn't be disappointed with it out of the box, but always consider that it has a line out mode for a reason, and if you have a good enough amp that still fits in your pocket (thankfully the Vorzuge fits in a very similar footprint!) then why not, best of both worlds
smily_headphones1.gif

For those who still don't know: As with the Hugo, you have to use the headphone output to feed external amps – hence with a signal considered not good enough on its own. That doesn't make sense, particularly when the Mojo's headphone output is more than strong enough for the headphones used – which it is in most cases except for the few with extremely low sensitivity. Underlined by extremely low harmonic-distortion figures according to the specs and the developer, Rob Watts, whose opinion about external amps for the Hugo can be read here and here. And since Hugo and Mojo share virtually the same design...

A systematic comparision with all my amps and the direct connection to the Hugo (and lately the «best», most accurate and neutral amp I know – the Corda Symphony – with the Mojo) showed that Hugo and Mojo sound best without additional amplification: more accurate, more transparent, faster, more detailed. I've paid special attention to very low bass notes – and there both DACs/amps are every bit as powerful as the external amp, moreover they show better control. One thing that also struck me is the more forgiving nature of the amps: all of them sound a bit rounder and smoother – less focussed –, which goes hand in hand with a sense of greater space and an illusion of increased «clarity». Tested with HiFiMan HE1000, Sennheiser HD 800 and Shure SE846, among others.

Like many tube amps also solid-state amps produce harmonic distortion that sounds pleasing to the ears. It's easy to mix that up with higher sound quality, the more so as this trait contributes to an icreased forgivingness toward tonal imbalances and resonances. So if you prefer a more puristic approach and are too lazy to carry an extra amp with you, there's a convenient tool for getting your sound where you want it to be if it's not quite there yet: an equalizer – like the one that's possibly built into your audio player. That way you're indepenent of the sonic synergy an amp may create between the Mojo and your head-/earphone after all, with above-mentioned disadvantages from a technical perspective.

Nov 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5,052 of 42,765
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5,053 of 42,765
You can use SE input on CDM and balanced output. It works well and expand soundstage with Hugo.

Really? Didn't get it to work before. Will try again and hope it does work. Thanks!

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5,054 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back