Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #5,056 of 42,765
  My Mojo has landed - now to figure out which IEM/CIEM to try first....

V6-Stage + Toxic Silver Widow?

Your Noble K10's, oh wait, sorry that was mean. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,057 of 42,765
Really? Didn't get it to work before. Will try again and hope it does work. Thanks!

That is the way I have been using my CDM since I have it. In addition you get much more power out. You can probably increase further the soundstage by using the USB input of the CDM, but for me Hugo/Mojo SE out to CDM Balanced out to an HE1K is the best combination for DSD (CDM DAC does not work well in DSD with Mac Audirvana). I must say that the Wolfson DAC in the CDM is really good and in PCM it is really hard to differentiate it with the Hugo knowing that in increases the soundstage further (It is balanced out from the DAC). I do not have the Mojo yet, but I am looking forward to compare how the combination will play on the warm side. Too bad Chord dismissed balanced out on their portable gear. I talked to Rob Watt about it but he did not convinced me in saying that SE was as good as balanced.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #5,061 of 42,765
Nov 14, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #5,062 of 42,765
This is very exciting!

Do you feel having both dac 19 and Mojo is redundant? Which would you keep if you had one to pick.

No, I don't find them redundant at all. For moving about I would obviously use the Mojo. When I'm tied to my desk I would rather not deal with battery management on the Mojo so I'm quite happy to use the DAC-19, which I also enjoy immensely. It's also nice to have a different presentation now and again but don't feel either is lacking compared to the other. The Mojo has gone on the Canadian tour and I will say I miss it already.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,063 of 42,765
I can sort of see (well, hear!) the point people are making about the amp section, I will confess openly that my Pure II+ has way more headroom, power and clarity compared to the onboard amp, then again, should be considered that the amp on its own costs the same, if not slightly more than the mojo (depending on your market) so I would be upset if it wasn't better!

That being said, you have arguably a world class DAC and a pretty damned decent amp enclosed in a really small package for what is ultimately a very modest price...

You shouldn't be disappointed with it out of the box, but always consider that it has a line out mode for a reason, and if you have a good enough amp that still fits in your pocket (thankfully the Vorzuge fits in a very similar footprint!) then why not, best of both worlds :)

Just thought I'd clarify this. The Mojo does not have a seperate 'decent amp' included. The Mojo's output is the analogue section straight out from the DAC like the Hugo. It's much simpler (and cleaner) than the typical DAC/amp setup usually found in such devices. Think of the Mojo as full time line out through the headphone ports with variable power control. When setting the Mojo to 'line out mode' it's just a shortcut to 3V output but the volume can be adjusted after that as the user sees fit (you aren't bypassing anything as there is nothing to bypass).

You really can't get any cleaner output from the Mojo DAC. The DAC output is also very powerful and as Rob pointed out yesterday (a few pages ago already) the Mojo outputs 5.3 V RMS in to 300 Ohm will drive the HD650 to 122 dB.

The HD650 is 103dB 1mW 300 ohms. With Mojo's 5.3 V RMS into 300 ohms, that works out at 122 dB SPL.

Need ear defenders too!

Rob 

Nov 14, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #5,064 of 42,765

Tried this instore with a 6P and it works nicely. Not seen a micro USB to C cable yet.

Note: the 6P has several USB connection modes, the one for using external storage is the one that I presume operates all external USB devices, as that was the one required one for the Mojo to work.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #5,065 of 42,765
Ok...at the meet in CT and I bought the to go cable and I still can not get the mojo to work with my SAMSUNG NOTE 4?? HELP!!!

So strange that it finally worked once you put some music on your internal storage.  Has anyone else had the issue where it refuses to play music on a SD card and only will play off internal storage? 

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #5,066 of 42,765
So strange that it finally worked once you put some music on your internal storage.  Has anyone else had the issue where it refuses to play music on a SD card and only will play off internal storage? 

Wow, strange bug fix. My music is only on the external SD.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5,067 of 42,765

That is the way I have been using my CDM since I have it. In addition you get much more power out. You can probably increase further the soundstage by using the USB input of the CDM, but for me Hugo/Mojo SE out to CDM Balanced out to an HE1K is the best combination for DSD (CDM DAC does not work well in DSD with Mac Audirvana). I must say that the Wolfson DAC in the CDM is really good and in PCM it is really hard to differentiate it with the Hugo knowing that in increases the soundstage further (It is balanced out from the DAC). I do not have the Mojo yet, but I am looking forward to compare how the combination will play on the warm side. Too bad Chord dismissed balanced out on their portable gear. I talked to Rob Watt about it but he did not convinced me in saying that SE was as good as balanced.

You are 100% correct that the CDM can play balanced off the SE input of the Mojo. Why the heck didn't that work the first time I tried it?!?

Anyway, continue to recommend that pairing - AK100->Mojo->CDM. 

For those that say the CDM tube-amp only adds "noise" or makes it less "real" - if the sound I'm hearing is wrong, then I don't want to be right! 

Cheers 

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,068 of 42,765
You are 100% correct that the CDM can play balanced off the SE input of the Mojo. Why the heck didn't that work the first time I tried it?!?

For those that say the CDM tube-amp only adds "noise" or makes it less "real" - if the sound I'm hearing is wrong, then I don't want to be right! 

Cheers 

Nothing wrong going from source > DAC > amp of your preference - it just isn't the absolute cleanest solution from a technical standpoint. Seems like a killer combo and I've always wanted to try the CDM. Perhaps I should make a trip to Headphonebar to try one.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,069 of 42,765

Cheers 

I am considering an AK100 as they get pretty cheap, that would use with optical output to mojo. What would be the limitations of this setup in term of playback capabilities (DSD, 24/192KHzPCM and so on?) I guess everything gets out in PCM including DSD but is it an equivalent of DSD over PCM we have in Audirvana? 
Also what is the biggest micro SD that can be slotted in? as I saw that 200GB are available now
Thanks

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #5,070 of 42,765
I am considering an AK100 as they get pretty cheap, that would use with optical output to mojo. What would be the limitations of this setup in term of playback capabilities (DSD, 24/192KHzPCM and so on?) I guess everything gets out in PCM including DSD but is it an equivalent of DSD over PCM we have in Audirvana? 
Also what is the biggest micro SD that can be slotted in? as I saw that 200GB are available now
Thanks

As I noted in my review:

1) Micro USB input - Capable of 44kHz to 768kHz PCM and DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 in DoP format.
Driverless on Mac, Android and Linux OS. However Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 will require a driver which can be found on Chord’s Mojo webpage.

2) Coaxial S/PDIF 3.5mm two pole mono input - Capable of playing 44.1kHz to 384kHz PCM (768kHz special operation) and DSD64, DSD128 in DoP format.

3) Standard S/PDIF optical TOSlink input - Capable of playing 44.1kHz to 192kHz PCM and DSD64 in DoP format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back