Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 1, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #39,781 of 42,765
Feb 1, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #39,782 of 42,765
Can you use the following app and confirm that your adapter and cable don't have otg:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homesoft.otgtroubshooter&hl=en_IN

The app isn't available and all other apps simply check if the phone is OTG capable, not the cable connected to it, and pretty much all Android phones should be OTG capable at this point.

Plus I'd have to dig all that stuff back out from hiding again. You could always just buy your own $5 cable on Amazon and test it yourself.

Screenshot_20200201-072541.png

Feb 1, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #39,783 of 42,765
Okay. This is an odd one. I had a battery issue with my Mojo Chord some time ago. It may have in fact been a charger issue in the end but regardless, before realizing that, I had it sent to a Chord certified tech who replaced the battery and took care of another issue with the unit that I was unaware of. All good.

I got it back. It was fully charged when it returned so I used it. All good there. Then, after three days of occasional use it turns off on its own. Time to recharge. After EIGHT hours of charging, it is STILL charging. I am using an Apple iPad charger (2A). I know the charger works because when I use it on my iPhone, the phone gets charged in no time at all.

I decide to let the unit charge over night. When I wake up to check on it, the charging LED is slowly flashing (about two seconds for each flash). I unplugged it and turned it on. I turn it on and it shows the charge level LED is orange/green. Not fully charged yet. This is after 16 hours! I plug it back in and it continues to charge.

I have attached a photo of the LED.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

Attachments

• D78991D4-6566-40E9-B729-6809796EE4AA.jpeg
    D78991D4-6566-40E9-B729-6809796EE4AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #39,784 of 42,765
Okay. This is an odd one. I had a battery issue with my Mojo Chord some time ago. It may have in fact been a charger issue in the end but regardless, before realizing that, I had it sent to a Chord certified tech who replaced the battery and took care of another issue with the unit that I was unaware of. All good.

I got it back. It was fully charged when it returned so I used it. All good there. Then, after three days of occasional use it turns off on its own. Time to recharge. After EIGHT hours of charging, it is STILL charging. I am using an Apple iPad charger (2A). I know the charger works because when I use it on my iPhone, the phone gets charged in no time at all.

I decide to let the unit charge over night. When I wake up to check on it, the charging LED is slowly flashing (about two seconds for each flash). I unplugged it and turned it on. I turn it on and it shows the charge level LED is orange/green. Not fully charged yet. This is after 16 hours! I plug it back in and it continues to charge.

I have attached a photo of the LED.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

I think sometimes Mojo can get into it’s “trickle charge” mode, but I would just use it and to when it gets low, charge it overnight again. If you happened to have a different charger (Anker is good) you might try that, but an ipad charger should be fine.

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #39,785 of 42,765
I think sometimes Mojo can get into it’s “trickle charge” mode, but I would just use it and to when it gets low, charge it overnight again. If you happened to have a different charger (Anker is good) you might try that, but an ipad charger should be fine.
Thanks for the response.

Could it go into trickle charge mode even if the unit is not on? This whole time the unit has been off.

Also, has anyone ever seen the slowly flashing LED while charging?

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #39,786 of 42,765
Thanks for the response.

Could it go into trickle charge mode even if the unit is not on? This whole time the unit has been off.

Also, has anyone ever seen the slowly flashing LED while charging?

The flashing white LED means it’s not getting enough charge. I guess either because of the charger or the the charging circuit in Mojo. I would unplug it, use it, and try another charger next time.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #39,787 of 42,765
The Faraday tape is a great idea. Thx.
I think the ferrites should fit snugly on the cable (even without the tape) and not move. There should not be an air gap between the ferrite and the cable.

Cheers for the tip.

Any excess Faraday tape can be used to line a smartphone case and/or to line a wallet to protect your govt-issued RFID id, RFID passport, debit/credit cards, etc.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #39,788 of 42,765
Does Gotham also sell those 5 layer shielded cables with micro-USB to USB A?

Not officially since it's under the 'DC' category "DC plugs":

http://ghentaudio.com/part/list-dc.html
But if you request via email, it's no problem. No data though, just power. I don't know if it's possible to request with data soldered.

qut.png

It was my last step to ensure I have proper clean power bandwidth going from my Anker to Raspberry Pi (micro-USB) as well as minimise or eliminate any RF sneaking in.

I'm loving it so far, but wish it was more flexible. Not a big issue for I, but a nice to have.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #39,789 of 42,765
Speaking of Type-A USB. Has anyone tried a JST 2-pin to USB Type-A for power?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-2373#post-14103682
I want to connect from Anker straight to Mojo. RW mentioned 5V is fine to power somewhere in this thread.

http://ghentaudio.com/item/jst/phr2-cable.html
I couldn't resist the 399 price point. Price went back up to 499 early Saturday. I'm not opening the Mojo package until after CanJam to leave myself an 'out' in case Mojo2 released.

I'm planning to use for gaming so not sure what to do about the battery situation.

Planning running optical out from motherboard to Mojo (Hesuvi to process 7.1 channels to 2-channel). Pls let know if anyone had success with this.

Really happy to be back in the Mojo game.

Can't wait to test the depth for gaming via optical:

I am getting rather different sound from coax and USB inputs with the latter sounding better, what’s the reason for this?

It’s complicated and depends upon a number of factors - principally the amount of RF noise injected into the Mojo, and the amount of correlated noise that gets in. It will depend upon the source device as to which sounds best. My preference is optical, as this has the smoothest sound quality and best depth, as it does not suffer from both of the aforementioned problems.

http://the-ear.net/how-to/rob-watts-chord-mojo-tech

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #39,790 of 42,765
The biggest question in this case would be if the actual PCB was damaged, or if the solder joints just failed. If the PCB was damaged it'll be much more costly, but there's no way to know until you crack it open.

Thanks for your help on this.

It went back to Chord for the new battery.

It's sounding like a DIY repair is likely to be beyond my rudimentary electronic skills so I took it back to the retailer who will be contacting Chord next week. It's a bit annoying though that it sounds quite possible that Chord had caused the damage to the port whilst repairing the battery - it had just been sitting on my desk since coming back with a new battery.

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #39,791 of 42,765
Well I have both: Mojo and Q5s. If you prefer warm sound go for Mojo. If you prefer more detailed, sharper sound and not as warm as in Mojo case, go with Q5s. Balanced output of Q5s also makes important difference. Q5s is also better choice if you plan to use BT. I had no issues with BT streaming to Q5s so far. In the end you should listen to both first and later decide what kind of features are important for you. Ideally listen to both at the same time. In case of Q5s balanced output switching headphones cables also can add some details but it will not be a night and day difference. I would say that Mojo is more vulnerable to poor USB cables. Switching to a better one than short one from the box also makes a difference. Last but not least Mojo has separate ports for music and charging. Q5s has single port.
the cable that comes with the Mojo is poor for listening, I used it for a long time then bought a used Curious Hugo Link,
the difference was night and day, like trying a good budget dap then suddently listening to a TOTL sound.
If using a generic USB cable, try a better one (such as a Curious Hugo Link) and hear it for yourself. Audioquest Jitterbug also being used and
sounds great with the rest!

Ah, I've never thought about this before. So the included micro USB cable is absolute thrash? No wonder I've been kinda underwhelmed with the Mojo sometimes...which micro USB cable would be a good reasonably-priced alternative? Those that come with Anker (cellphone charging mostly) products...will they be better?

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #39,792 of 42,765
Ah, I've never thought about this before. So the included micro USB cable is absolute thrash? No wonder I've been kinda underwhelmed with the Mojo sometimes...which micro USB cable would be a good reasonably-priced alternative? Those that come with Anker (cellphone charging mostly) products...will they be better?

I don't know if this cable is absolute trash - I never did any comparison to other stock USB cables. I guess Chord intentionally made it so short and probably not to cut cost of the complete package but rather to limit noise. Switching to a better quality cable makes audible difference. Period. I would advice you to test some audiophile cables first, but consider Mojo limitations and price range there is no point IMHO in buying USB cable within the price range of the device. The WireWorld cable I am using is perfectly fine for me. Using Fiio CL06 also does the job in my case when connecting to Android phone. Before any purchase I would definitively try the cable out first. The quality of USB can depend on so many different factors that what works for me may not work for you for example.

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #39,795 of 42,765
Yes and No. Yes for what it is. No because there's probably a Mojo 2 incoming (speculation of course, no info on it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back