Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 5, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #39,797 of 42,765
Why can’t a 2015 product still be competitive?

My primary source component was built in 1954:

9A88F79A-D9A5-41E3-B5FD-465543B7BB80.jpeg

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #39,798 of 42,765
Yeah. I demoed Mojo and really liked it. But buying a 2015 product right now doesn't make sense so I'll wait. Mojo 2 + Poly (or Poly 2?) can be the true endgame for years.
There is absolutely no indication that a Mojo is in the works, or being planned right now. I think they feel like for the level of portable platform that it is, it has kinda been maximized for the time being. Everything that has come out since, still is behind Mojo on overall production, IMO.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #39,799 of 42,765
Mojo and Poly users: Does everything work as it should ? Because I read some complaints about problems and poor quality control
Have you ever had issues such as Mojo being turned off for no reason, its battery dead, connection issues with smartphones and sound quality problems ?

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #39,800 of 42,765
Yeah. I demoed Mojo and really liked it. But buying a 2015 product right now doesn't make sense so I'll wait. Mojo 2 + Poly (or Poly 2?) can be the true endgame for years.
I just bought a brand-new Mojo and Poly in the last week or two. It’s a fantastic combination, and I haven’t touched my Hugo 2 since I got it. The warmth of the Mojo sound is fantastic with acoustic music (as well as much more, I’m sure).

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #39,802 of 42,765
I have a chance to get this at around $300 slightly used, should i get this instead if the newer cobalt by audioquest? Sorry not really into technical stuff but in terms of playing back high res, am i right in mg understanding that except for MQA, they are equal in playing back high resolution audio? I know the mojo will sound better than cobalt, just curious if i am missing out on any technical stuff that the cobalt can decode this or that etc and since mojo is a couple of years old and it might be lagging behind which i hope not since i want to buy it. If i’m playing tidal masters and i enable the audio digital out of my player, do i still get the “high resolution” bit rate on the mojo even if it doesn’t do mqa? From reading a lot last night on this thread it seems that is the case... thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #39,804 of 42,765
^^^

I touched upon mods with Sir RW here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-112#post-15442564

In my conclusion I decided it was better to use budget on the next iteration of Chord DAC than invest in incremental improvements.

Yes, I guess there are constraints on most things. I just came to the conclusion that by the time I want to mod my current Chord gear, new Chord gear would be released so budget better allocated towards new products instead of incremental improvements on older products past warranty.

I keep having to remind myself to keep it simple and not add complexity. It definitely would change the ecosystem and not for the better. Thanks for setting me straight.

RW OG Response:

Yes agreed on batteries and optical! My struggle is to make it such that mains powered USB connected is the same as optical and battery - and I am indeed getting there.

As to modifying my designs - well I am not going to pretend that each is perfect and incapable of improvement; that hubris would lead to my nemesis.

But - this year I enter my 33rd year of designing DACs - I am getting on for 100,000 hours of design time now. But I am still learning things; one project I am working on has taken a couple of years, and I am on the 4th PCB revision - and yet I am still finding subtle ways of improving performance, and discovering new things. Another project - I spent months on some coding, trying to get a particular performance level - and yes in designing gear extra-ordinary small levels of aberrations are audible - but this level I was working on nobody would hear or measure the difference - but it wasn't quite right. Fortunately, I cracked the issue and got the performance I was looking for. But I kept telling myself why? Nobody would ever know - and it was costing time and delaying other projects - but the issue was I would know and I needed it to be right.

So in modifying gear you are more likely to upset something that has been optimised than give a real improvement.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/page-112#post-15443146

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #39,805 of 42,765
Recommended in 2020 ?

I recommend only stuff that I have/had, had been using daily and like/love. Mojo is definitively on my love list. An update of it would be welcome since there are some details that makes it harder to use (separate ports for data and charging, battery level indicator under USB plug making it mostly invisible, etc) but what it matters is the sound I love and the size.

As a side note: the recent price drop of Mojo has been explained somewhere as winter sale and not upcoming new version of Mojo. Nevertheless there is always something new coming nowadays so unless official info is available you never know how long you will have to wait.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #39,806 of 42,765
Why can’t a 2015 product still be competitive?

My primary source component was built in 1954:

9A88F79A-D9A5-41E3-B5FD-465543B7BB80.jpeg

This. +1 :)

I have a chance to get this at around $300 slightly used, should i get this instead if the newer cobalt by audioquest? Sorry not really into technical stuff but in terms of playing back high res, am i right in mg understanding that except for MQA, they are equal in playing back high resolution audio? I know the mojo will sound better than cobalt, just curious if i am missing out on any technical stuff that the cobalt can decode this or that etc and since mojo is a couple of years old and it might be lagging behind which i hope not since i want to buy it. If i’m playing tidal masters and i enable the audio digital out of my player, do i still get the “high resolution” bit rate on the mojo even if it doesn’t do mqa? From reading a lot last night on this thread it seems that is the case... thanks in advance :)

This might be of interest to you:

The Mojo doesn't 'do' MQA. I haven't used mine to play DSD or any other types of super hi res audio formats, as my primary use case is streaming. Right now I'm listening to a Master's Quality album on Tidal and the Mojo shows a sample rate of 48kHz. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back